UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Week 5: vs Richmond 10/8 @ 3:30PM

THROW A SLANT!

The coaching in this game (at least from the offensive coordinator) was atrocious. What is it with GG not wanting to run anything over the middle?

All of the routes are to the outside, which allows the defense to key on that facet. At least do some play actions or something. They had a few where our guy went right for the sideline when he should have zagged towards the sideline and then zigged back to the middle. I mean, it's atrocious. Even Sakowski's dad was as pissed as me. I've been going to FB games since the opening night of the stadium and like 1% of our plays in all the game since have been over the middle. There are NFL QB's who, no joke, have made HOF careers using the slant.

Aren't all the coaches pretty much defensive minded coaches? If I recall, didn't GG make a former defensive player turned coach our offensive coordinator? FIRE THE DUDE. HE SUCKS.

Agree but the late TD was a deep crossing pattern.

Correct, and look what happened. This OC is allergic to slants or quick hits over the middle. It's either a deep ball or something to the sideline.

Correct. When we do utilize it, generally better things happen. Well put, great word: allergic. It's laughable and this guy needs to get it together.

I agree with the slants. The only negative in this game was that UR had big LBs and DBs. Maybe they don't have confidence in Sussman yet. Zee injury hurt. Lots of those deep balls just missed, but there are too many deep shots. How about swings or wheel routes to Hanks and Alston? They need to get them outside when the D is clogging up the middle. And some of the delays out of the shotgun looked to be in slow motion. Oh well. For all of that they still battled the #6 team to three OTs. GG was pretty emotional at the presser. He looked drained.

• Like 1

My second guessing was that we could have done more before that field goal attempt in regulation. It seemed like we let a time waste away when we could have shortened the kick a little.

A lot was made of the last play when Sussman overthrew but I really thought Ellis (I think) had his hands on it in the end zone and it went through. I'd watch the replay but I just can't right now.

Great effort but this one stings. It'll be interesting to see how this team recovers again Maine next weekend.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why you don't decline the penalty and have them punt before the half? It was 4th and 5 on their own 45. They weren't going for it.

Defense should have been able to hold 4th and 18 but still. Take what they give you.

Edited by danefan
  • Like 1

My second guessing was that we could have done more before that field goal attempt in regulation. It seemed like we let a time waste away when we could have shortened the kick a little.

A lot was made of the last play when Sussman overthrew but I really thought Ellis (I think) had his hands on it in the end zone and it went through. I'd watch the replay but I just can't right now.

Great effort but this one stings. It'll be interesting to see how this team recovers again Maine next weekend.

Sussman was under some serious pressure and just threw it 1 second too early but he had to. I don't think the WR got his hands on the ball in the end zone. The corner who blitzed was the one who was over Ellis pre-snap so it was the right read by Sussman to go to that WR.

I still don't understand why you don't decline the penalty and have them punt before the half? It was 4th and 5 on their own 45. They weren't going for it.

Defense should have been able to hold 4th and 18 but still. Take what they give you.

I posted this during halftime yesterday:

"Gattuso interview at half, he said he didn't want to "give that quarterback a 4th and 3" so they took the penalty to make 3rd and 20. I don't agree. With this defense I would force them to make that decision in their own territory. "

AWESOME game. A number of coaching plunders (at least from this arm chair qb's opinion). Like @ the end of OT 3 why not go for the first down 4th & 2 and get yourself four more chances to get the tying score. I do not believe it was 4th & goal on that last play {will watch again later.}

Anyhow, I enjoyed the game immensely and complained enough on seat thread, to add any more arm chair opinions here. YEH right!