UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gontarek Arrested & Suspended

At last count there are 22 players on a football team. One player doesn't cause a total collapse. We are new to the CAA. We have lost some great players to injury and because we are new to 64 schollies, we are very thin. Suck it up and support the team. I have more problems with the coaching staff than the players.

• Like 2

At last count there are 22 players on a football team. One player doesn't cause a total collapse. We are new to the CAA. We have lost some great players to injury and because we are new to 64 schollies, we are very thin. Suck it up and support the team. I have more problems with the coaching staff than the players.

While true, it is a team game, you cannot dispute the fact that when a team has to gameplan for one player it will create opportunities for other players who don't have the 'spotlight' on them. That was the case with our other players when Gontarek was on the field. That's all we are saying. We are not saying Gontarek is the only reason we suck so bad...but it sure as hell is one of them and that is a FACT. Teams now key on Roberson and don't really care about anyone else (in terms of sending 2 guys, etc.). They just single coverage us to death now because they rest of our receivers (aside from obviously Roberson and maybe Harris) aren't that great.

Edited by Ilko

Adding to what Dane Pound said, here are the stats for rushing yards per game:

2011 181.7

2012 202.9

2013 151.7

2014 140.8

2015 97.3

What's even more striking is that UA put up 141 rush yards against UB, 120 against URI and 186 against JMU (our toughest opponent…does anyone not believe they would cream UB?) Since that time,

the team has averaged 58 yards rushing. Duquesne created the template for teams to beat us with ease…stop the run and the pass game will fold up too. We had just enough to beat the Dukes but then the

wheels came off.

Aside from the morale being down due to the terrible losses, does anyone know what the relationships are like between GG and the players. I know Ford was very close to the players. This may be a bit premature, but once a coach loses the locker room, it's the beginning of the end. Especially since we're losing players mid-season.

Edited by Purple_HaZe7

Aside from the morale being down due to the terrible losses, does anyone know what the relationships are like between GG and the players. I know Ford was very close to the players. This may be a bit premature, but once a coach loses the locker room, it's the beginning of the end. Especially since we're losing players mid-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone said that he lost the locker room. Just look at the sideline during games...#dead.

Player/coach relationships will ebb and flow with Ws and Ls. It's what happens after this season that will show you what he's made of and the players he's recruited.

The great case of the disappearing rushing game is what is our downfall right now. If you can't run you can't throw. And if you can't run or throw you won't score points and you're defense will be on the field too long which is exactly why we're getting housed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is Gontarek gone for good?

Are these the options:

1. suspended for rest of season, stays in school, goes through Spring practice, show up in Fall for seasond and see what happens

2. suspended rest of season, leaves UA (if he hasn't already left), looks for another FCS school (who would take him??)

3. D-2, D-3

4. Jr.Coll., tries to start over after 1 year there

I hope he stays. He made a dumb mistake. He's a kid.

Anyone else would be lucky to get him.

Agreed, he's taking his medicine right now. I really hope he comes back. Two years left is a lot of time.

Assuming he was contrite, I think he has already taken enough medicine, considering the offense.

Edited by haggyland

I hope he stays. He made a dumb mistake. He's a kid.

Anyone else would be lucky to get him.

Agreed, he's taking his medicine right now. I really hope he comes back. Two years left is a lot of time.

Assuming he was contrite, I think he has already taken enough medicine, considering the offense.

Agreed. Time to bring him back. And that obstruction charge is bullsiena.