UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Week 4: vs. StFUP 9/24 7:00

Since it was mentioned in the HC thread, let's get started.

St. Francis has a balanced attack that's hit a lot of big plays. Junior Ajayi caught a 73-yd pass against Montana. Kamron Lewis caught a 60-yarder vs. Towson and a 72-yarder vs. Columbia.

CB Lorenzo Jerome leads the team in tackles, had a 79-yard kickoff return at Montana, an 89-yard fumble recovery at Towson, has two interceptions, and sells popcorn at halftime.

Jerome and Lewis average ten yards per punt return.

Their FG kicker is 3-6, longest 48, one was blocked.

Bagley has a 39-yard run, they have a couple of other rushes over 20 yards.

Look at who is #3 in FCS rushing -- Marcus Bagley, Saint Francis, with 411 yards ... 225 of that in the Columbia game on Saturday, when he averaged 6.7 a carry (SFU first win). Before that he had 96 (4.6) against Montana and 113 (3.4) against Towson.

On the other hand they were only able to put up 13 against mighty Columbia. I do expect a good game from them if for no other reason than SF has never beaten UA. They've got some good players and a big running back. Considering the number of players that appeared to be dinged up in the HC game I'm wondering what the injury situation will be this week.

From the Daily Gazette (whose quality of coverage of UAlbany athletics has been getting even better):

Redshirt senior safety Kyle Sakowski is expected to miss Saturday’s game against Saint Francis with a right arm injury he sustained against Holy Cross. Sakowski, who has made 15 tackles and recorded one interception this season, also missed several games last season with injuries to his right arm and shoulder.

“He wants back,” Gattuso said of Sakowski, who wore a sling at Tuesday’s practice. “He wants to play this week . . . but I don’t think he’ll be able to.”

Gattuso said it is possible Sakowski could return to the team’s lineup after its bye week following the contest against Saint Francis. The coach said there are no expectations Sakowski will miss the rest of the season.

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2016/sep/21/0921_danesfootball/

Coach said today that Blitz will make an appearance, but probably will be waiting for the team at the bottom of the ramp. At one year old and 170 pounds (and eating like he's having another growth spurt) he's a little too clumsy to run down the slope. Maybe next year.

From the T-U UA football pull-out section

Key injuries

UAlbany

WR Brad Harris (broken foot) is out for the season. LB DaSharnte Thompson (knee), DE Jack Forster (foot) and S Kyle Sakowski (arm) are out for the Saint Francis game.

Saint Francis

Reported no significant injuries.

Also re Roberson's celebration penalty:

Head coach Greg Gattuso wasn’t happy with Roberson’s celebration, or some he saw by other Great Danes in the 45-28 victory. He said he’s implementing a new rule: If you score a touchdown, just hand the ball to the official.

“I’m upset with all of that crap,’’ Gattuso said. “The referee should have thrown a couple more (flags). It’s undisciplined.”

Roberson agreed. “I got a little happy,’’ he said. “I didn’t know exactly what I did until I saw it on the (scoreboard) screen. It looked nice, but like the coaches were saying, and they’re absolutely right, we put our defense in a bind. Thank God they got usout of it. That’s a mistake on my part, so I’ll simmer that down a little bit. We don’t need all the showboating. We need to act like we’ve been there before.”

Roberson plans on getting there again. In fact, he caught another long touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Neven Sussman later in the second quarter against Holy Cross on a similar play. He lined up in the right slot, dashed down the field and caught a 49-yard strike from Sussman between the cornerback and safety. This time, he flipped the ball to the official and jumped into his teammates’ arms.

And from an interview with LT Kevin Malloy

When Holy Cross came out on the field, we were hearing them saying, “37-0, 37-0.” The whole game they kept saying that. There were a couple of plays where I whiffed completely because I just wanted to hit them as hard as I could because I was so angry from what they were saying.

Edited by UAalum72

Nice write up in the Gazette today. UA didn't get the front page, Union still reigns there, but page 5 full width top 8" high article with picture is a vast improvement over previous years. Yay Gazette! Not a huge amount about today's game. It concentrates on the youth movement driving the team's success.