UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

We complained about shotgun in goal-to-go last year, but I think this year we did put the QB under center. I agree when the D is tight, your only advantage is knowing the snap count, and any delay getting the ball to the line dissipates that edge.

Shotgun on your own one makes more sense if you don't have road-graders to push your way out to the five on first down and you're going to pass anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that my Giants have exited the playoffs my football season is officially over. So my mind started wandering

, always dangerous. Those that were interested had a chance to see JMU play a few games recently. My question is: do you think anyone from 2016 UA would be able to start at 2016 JMU? I came to the conclusion of no. Even Hanks,our best player, could not unseat Abdullah. Second string maybe. Nicastro might be able to compete for time but I don't think he could replace anyone.

Now that my Giants have exited the playoffs my football season is officially over. So my mind started wandering

, always dangerous. Those that were interested had a chance to see JMU play a few games recently. My question is: do you think anyone from 2016 UA would be able to start at 2016 JMU? I came to the conclusion of no. Even Hanks,our best player, could not unseat Abdullah. Second string maybe. Nicastro might be able to compete for time but I don't think he could replace anyone.

We're going to get smoked next year...I believe we play them, right?

I saw the last three JMU playoff games and a couple of things struck me:

1. The QB played within himself. A lot of short passes, the few deep ones were away from the defender. In the championship game, he only had about 100 yards passing. And his passes were generally on target.

2. Their corners played tight man / press coverage. They were all over the Sam Houston receivers, they also gave North Dakota headaches.

3. They have athletes everywhere - a lot like an SEC team. Not just the skill players but the linebackers and defensive line as well.

Not sure how many of our players would start but I feel pretty good about what we're doing, just need some improved QB play.

Edited by reeder

I saw the last three JMU playoff games and a couple of things struck me:

1. The QB played within himself. A lot of short passes, the few deep ones were away from the defender. In the championship game, he only had about 100 yards passing. And his passes were generally on target.

2. Their corners played tight man / press coverage. They were all over the Sam Houston receivers, they also gave North Dakota headaches.

3. They have athletes everywhere - a lot like an SEC team. Not just the skill players but the linebackers and defensive line as well.

Not sure how many of our players would start but I feel pretty good about what we're doing, just need some improved QB play.

I agree. Believe me, I like where UA is headed and I'm not demeaning our play at all. It's just interesting to see the difference in the athletes between the teams in the same conference. I suppose

it's really no difference than that between the elite teams in power conferences and the mid to lower performing schools in their same league. One of the few bowl games I had any interest in this year

was the Cotton Bowl and it was interesting to see that the dominant team in the MAC, WMU, had clearly inferior athletes to Wisconsin. We've got a way to go before getting up to JMU's level, but it does

not mean we can't compete. It's just that UA needs to play at their highest ability and hope JMU has an off day. Not sure if we play them next year.

Remember our kids went toe to toe with Richmond early in the season. Its even safe to say Richmond was lucky to beat us after 3 OT's. How much better is JMU than Richmond at full strength? Better, yes, but not by a big margin IMHO. I do not believe we are all that far away from being on the same level.

Edited by MRuler 79
  • Like 1