UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UMBC Today

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's so personal.

Maybe generic 'Stop DWI' posters, displayed when he's introduced or at the foul line - as a public service announcement , of course.

What's the story? If anyone was injured I'd probably say to lay off.

I think it would be appropriate to say "Stop DWI" or make up some MADD posters that our lady dane fans can hold up. I'm all for joshing the opposition but WANTED is probably a bit to personal and mean spirited.

I think this one should be let be. We all make mistakes, and for the most part, Johnson seems to have righted his.

Way too personal and we are classier as a fan base than that. We (well...I know you can) be more creative than that.

Maybe an oompa loompa thing for Jay Greene?

I'm sure our players got their fair share of taunts at Duke (and other basketball fora, including St. Bon Bon's gym) -- with many of those chants being far worse than some of the ones proposed in the foregoing posts -- but that doesn't mean that our standard of conduct should be lowered to the standards that exist in the ACC, A-10, or at SUNY Bingo. I'm probably with you guys and Dane96 in letting this one slide. However, if there is any B.S. that arises during the game, feel free to let him have it in accordance with the foregoing ideas for chants/taunts!

:)

I gotta say that I LOVE that the students had signs and seemed involved. It's nice to see some organized cheering However, i'm not into bashing a player for something like DWI. Remember that these players are really just kids and kids occasionally f*&k up. Just my two cents.

That's so personal.

Maybe generic 'Stop DWI' posters, displayed when he's introduced or at the foul line - as a public service announcement , of course.

What's the story? If anyone was injured I'd probably say to lay off.

I think it would be appropriate to say "Stop DWI" or make up some MADD posters that our lady dane fans can hold up. I'm all for joshing the opposition but WANTED is probably a bit to personal and mean spirited.

I think this one should be let be. We all make mistakes, and for the most part, Johnson seems to have righted his.

Way too personal and we are classier as a fan base than that. We (well...I know you can) be more creative than that.

Maybe an oompa loompa thing for Jay Greene?

I'm sure our players got their fair share of taunts at Duke (and other basketball fora, including St. Bon Bon's gym) -- with many of those chants being far worse than some of the ones proposed in the foregoing posts -- but that doesn't mean that our standard of conduct should be lowered to the standards that exist in the ACC, A-10, or at SUNY Bingo. I'm probably with you guys and Dane96 in letting this one slide. However, if there is any B.S. that arises during the game, feel free to let him have it in accordance with the foregoing ideas for chants/taunts!

:)

I gotta say that I LOVE that the students had signs and seemed involved. It's nice to see some organized cheering However, i'm not into bashing a player for something like DWI. Remember that these players are really just kids and kids occasionally f*&k up. Just my two cents.

It appears a lot of people agree w/ you (including both coaches), I however think it's fair game. Yes he's a kid (kindof). Yes everyone makes mistakes. But DWI is a real problem and the consequences of his actions could have been much worse than him being faced with some signs reminding him of his mistake. I hope each (or maybe one or two) student(s) that held up the sings recognizes that it is a very serious problem and maybe makes the decision not to do it.

This isn't a rumor or allegation, he was convicted (according to the paper). No poor language, no abuse of his family etc., just a shot at something he has done.

It appears a lot of people agree w/ you (including both coaches), I however think it's fair game. Yes he's a kid (kindof). Yes everyone makes mistakes. But DWI is a real problem and the consequences of his actions could have been much worse than him being faced with some signs reminding him of his mistake. I hope each (or maybe one or two) student(s) that held up the sings recognizes that it is a very serious problem and maybe makes the decision not to do it.

This isn't a rumor or allegation, he was convicted (according to the paper). No poor language, no abuse of his family etc., just a shot at something he has done.

I agree with McFan. I was at the game and I thought it was done well. There were no signs that had his name on them but there were chants for him. This is what student sections do around the country, why can't we?

There are some interesting comments posted in response to Mark's blog entry. I thought it was well done and wasn't over the line, it was intended to get a bit under Johnsons skin and improve the atmosphere a bit. Don't know if it got under his skin but I think it did improve the atmosphere. If pointing out the DWI was over the line, was the "where is my laptop" chant over the line also that we serenaded the UCONN player with? In a world according to Mark, any and all taunting of the opposition appears to be over the line. Perhaps we should just chant, your haircut sucks or something of that sorts. You know, we don't want to upset the opposition.

There are some interesting comments posted in response to Mark's blog entry. I thought it was well done and wasn't over the line, it was intended to get a bit under Johnsons skin and improve the atmosphere a bit. Don't know if it got under his skin but I think it did improve the atmosphere. If pointing out the DWI was over the line, was the "where is my laptop" chant over the line also that we serenaded the UCONN player with? In a world according to Mark, any and all taunting of the opposition appears to be over the line. Perhaps we should just chant, your haircut sucks or something of that sorts. You know, we don't want to upset the opposition.

Hah! I think Mark has lost sight of what goes on at most bigger schools. In the AE, we're used to clapping and chanting "De-fense" and little else. Go to a couple of heated games in the Big Ten, ACC or Pac Ten and you'll see and hear much, much worse. No way was "Stop DWI" over the line, nor the shouting from the students. GDG asked about a "Wanted" poster, and I'm *pretty* sure that's been done before. Will and Mr. Anger Management were being politically correct, and Mark was just off the mark (no pun intended, but hey that's a good one). Student fans elsewhere will go to much greater lengths to get under a player's skin; we just don't see it that often or to such an extent in our little (but nice) conference.

Yeah, we were busting on Johnson for a mistake he made in the past, but that worse than opposing fans busting on Iati because he's vertically challenged and can't do a damn thing about it?

GDG is exactly the type of fan we need to make our place a hostile, difficult, unpleasant environment for the opposition. And Johnson did miss two FT's in a row early on...

S€

• 2 weeks later...
"We beat Mempis not our girls" I gotta be honest....I LOL!

I read through that article while I was in the waiting room prior to my foot surgery yesterday.

Some of those folks make me look like a saint...

Certainly not one from Loudonville.

Flush Hard!

It's a Long way to Vestal!

Archived