UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Regular Season Review

GODANESGO,

I don't know what game you were watching, but watching it on TV, and having an aerial view for most of the game, one student section seemed 1/2 to 3/4 full at best. However, the other end, and in fact, the end you were on (as I know what you look like from your hair piece) was pretty empty. I saw empty rows of people and on foul shots or crowd shots I consistently thought to myself why we didn't have more avid fans like you. For a big game, and SENIOR day/night, I would have expected more.

I wish there was a way to advertise this board more because when people leave the school, Albany is not at a point yet where you can catch highlights regularly on ESPN etc. At Alumni events etc., we should figure a way out to link everyone to here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to get off on a tangent, but I was actually at the game sitting in the student section (like you saw) instead of trying to judge how full certain sections were based on tv camera angles. The crowd was slow getting in for the game (both GA and students) but it did end up nearly full (about 90%) in the north end and about 2/3 (I might give you 1/2) on the south end.

With 3400+ in total attendance and 1000 student seats for a max capacity of 4500+, your 1/2 full and nearly empty estimate (totaling 300-400) would mean there were about 3100 of 3500 GA/chairback seats full. That was NOWHERE near the case. Actually being at so many games at SEFCU, I've gotten to be decent about estimating the size of the crowd, though I know that's a bit anecdotal. As I posted right when I got back from the game, I thought the crowd was 3200+, pretty close to the 3400 total.

GODANESGO,

I don't know what game you were watching, but watching it on TV, and having an aerial view for most of the game, one student section seemed 1/2 to 3/4 full at best. However, the other end, and in fact, the end you were on (as I know what you look like from your hair piece) was pretty empty. I saw empty rows of people and on foul shots or crowd shots I consistently thought to myself why we didn't have more avid fans like you. For a big game, and SENIOR day/night, I would have expected more.

I wish there was a way to advertise this board more because when people leave the school, Albany is not at a point yet where you can catch highlights regularly on ESPN etc. At Alumni events etc., we should figure a way out to link everyone to here.

I've been a fan and followed this team since I got to Albany in 1993. I only found out about this board before this season started and it has kept me more involved than I've ever been. I also take updates on the team and events and send it to the 15-20 alumni that I am still in contact with. Now they are more informed and interested than they ever have been. More people knowing about this site definitely would help.

As for the season review topic, I thought this team exceeded my expectations. I was really worried that this would be a down year but I'm not looking at it that way. Finishing 3rd in the conference is definitely a good thing and the young talent gained needed experience. You can see their growth already. Making some noise in the tourney will really help make the season more of a success and build confidence in the players and the program for the future.

http://www.albany.edu/docs/pr/ualbanymagwi...08/Carillon.pdf

Page 2 of Alumni News and Notes.

Titled: Warning. Read at your own risk!

With the rise of the UAlbany Division One Athletics' program there is even a "Cyber Home of UAlbany Great Danes Fans" (www.bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com).

Nice about the little advertising.. I had not seen that.

GDG,

I think you believe that I watch the games just to make comments on the crowds capacity. The point I was trying to bring up is that when it stands out and it becomes something NOTICABLE, there is a problem. You may have been at the game, but my aerial view (and TV does not lie) throughout the course of the game, should be as good, if not a better view than yours. There were several plays when the camera turned to you, to see your reaction, in part because of the attire you had on, and aside from you and a couple of your friends (I'm guessing thats who they are), it seemed empty. Even at half capacity, it is going to look empty. Typically, the opening game, homecoming, and senior night at the 3 key draws for any school. No? Whether it is 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 filled, I would have hoped it would have been fuller - that is my point. This is not just any game - it's the last of the season, and senior night. Yes, our ticket sales are growing astronomically it seems - but I don't want this to be like Vermont's gym - quiet and boring. I always thought Albany fans were eccentric - think back to the 06 AEast championship game, where our gym would have rivaled most in the country. The atmosphere was electric, and while you can't expect that on a daily basis, I am dissatisfied with the student sections not being more full. The chairbacks looked full , and seemed to fillup as the game progressed. The student sections on the other hand, werep retty stagnant. I was commenting on it as the game was underway.

The team has grown in fits and starts this year. Hopefully it will continue to improve next year. Next year's seniors, Connelly, Covington and Hastings have big shoes to fill.

On the marketing issue, I was stopped at the light on Washington Ave. on Friday and the electronic message board displaying upcoming and current events listed and art exhibit and an author discussing his book. There was no mention of the Sr. Night basketball game. That annoyed me a bit. I wondered whose responsibility it was to program the announcements.

You may have been at the game, but my aerial view (and TV does not lie) throughout the course of the game, should be as good, if not a better view than yours.

Not sure how you have a better view based only on what a tv angle shows you as compared to me being there for 2+ hours (and the stated attendance figures), but I'd recommend coming out to the games to add onto our total in the first place. If you're point is that you want more fans..then sure I agree. And I've tried to do my part to make sure increased student attedance is part of that as well.

In a season review, instead of regular criticism, I'd just like to be happy about the fact we've just averaged 3000+ fans for a third straight season after the first couple seasons I started attending (and many on this board obviously experienced it much longer than I did) 4-5 years ago we'd have only a few hundred total with a few dozen students. Now that's progress!!

It's quite simple/elementary actually. At any given moment, I can see you, behind you, to the left of you, to the right of you, across from you etc. No one is altering angles for my argument - if I see the WHOLE student section, I think I have as good of a view if not better than you, especially since you were in the first few rows if I'm correct. While you are preoccupied with the game and your friends etc. and chanting - I am watching the game on my computer by myself for the most part, and pay attention to more minor details. Once again, I am happy with the progress - I would have just hoped for more of a presence yesterday - that's all. It's about grattitude, and seeing how much these 3 have helped build our program, it would have been nice to have more of a presence. That's all.

Don't worry, I do my part - I pay the fee for Dane Zone and follow the atlhetic program a lot. I would attend more games, but my location prevents it, though I do appreciate your invite.

Don't worry, I do my part - I pay the fee for Dane Zone and follow the atlhetic program a lot. I would attend more games, but my location prevents it, though I do appreciate your invite.

I hope you'll make a financial commitment to the program in excess to Dane Zone fees. I suggest joining the Varsity Club. $80 of your membership will be a tax deduction and gift to the general athleic fund. You'll get a tee shirt and media guide of your choice as well as pregame parties before football and Men's basketball games as well as disounts to other trips and events.

http://www.albany.edu/alumni/VarsityClub.htm

My apologies if this topic was already noted in another thread, but as I read through the Winter 2008 edition of the "University at Albany Magazine," I couldn't help but take a pleasing note of the column written --- under the Magazine's section "Alumni News and Notes" --- by Lee Serravillo, Executive Director of the UAlbany Alumni Association.

Lee's column, entitled Warning: Read at your own risk!, does a great job of illustrating and advertising the ways in which alumni can "create and share their own content with one another through various online tools and discussion forums." Serravillo, Lee, UAlbany Magazine, at 33 (Winter 2008). In addition to highlighting an alumnus's or alumna's ability to login to www.albany.edu/alumni in order to "find a classmate, use the Career Center, [and] get a permanent e-mail address," the Column reveals the ability of students --- and, now, "anyone," including the UAlbany Alumni Association --- to expand one's professional network. Id.

The Column also describes a professional networking tool called "LinkedIn," see www.linkedin.com, whereby a user may "invite fellow UAlbany alumni" and "expand [one's] professional network." Id.

And, finally, Lee's Column discusses this forum, Big Purple Fans, stating in haec verba: "With the rise of the UAlbany Division One Athletics' program there is even a 'Cyber Home of UAlbany Great Danes Fans' (www.bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com)." Id. (emphasis in bold supplied).

Way to go!! :)

My original post of February 21 from a thread I started under "General" summarizes the BPF advertisement. :)

I hope you'll make a financial commitment to the program in excess to Dane Zone fees. I suggest joining the Varsity Club. $80 of your membership will be a tax deduction and gift to the general athleic fund. You'll get a tee shirt and media guide of your choice as well as pregame parties before football and Men's basketball games as well as disounts to other trips and events.

http://www.albany.edu/alumni/VarsityClub.htm

Best deal in town!

I believe it was Dr. McCelroy who said that he is liked the community support but thought student support was weak. Looking at the numbers....I'd say he's right. There are 10K+ students at the University....we get what? maybe 400 at games? All you have to do (I know easier said then done) is get more students to come out and we can have the barn filled. Walking and driving around campus there appears to be little in terms of advertisement, I don't know if there are e-mails sent around or information available in dorms, dining halls etc. But clearly, increasing the student attendance should be a priority if we are to pack more people in.

3K+ is still a great number for a team in a rebuilding year. After losing arguable the best/most recognizable player to play at the school in the modern era. Also, keep in mind many of us have been frustrated to no end with this team yet we still managed to draw 3k+.

On Student Attendance:

What has always peaked my curiosity is the fact that I have never seen any kind of greek life presence at the basketball games. Where are the greeks and their support for the athletic programs? They should be leading the charge. If there was a way to get them on board, I think they would help drive student attendance.

Also, so what are the chances of ever seeing beer served at the SEFCU? That would get people to the games, especially upperclasspersons (juniors and seniors), no? Doesn't Binghamton have a bar in their student union? I remember drinking there when I was an undergraduate visiting a buddy of mine who went to Bingo.

GODANESGO,

I've been a fan and followed this team since I got to Albany in 1993. I only found out about this board before this season started and it has kept me more involved than I've ever been. I also take updates on the team and events and send it to the 15-20 alumni that I am still in contact with. Now they are more informed and interested than they ever have been. More people knowing about this site definitely would help.

As for the season review topic, I thought this team exceeded my expectations. I was really worried that this would be a down year but I'm not looking at it that way. Finishing 3rd in the conference is definitely a good thing and the young talent gained needed experience. You can see their growth already. Making some noise in the tourney will really help make the season more of a success and build confidence in the players and the program for the future.

How about Big Purple Fans' t-shirts?

Archived