UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Asses In The Seats?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She says our road games average 300 more fans than our home games, but if the annual game against That Team That Refuses To Travel To Western Avenue was only counted as neutral, away avg. drops to 2,668, and tossing UNLV and Providence means our other thirteen opponents drew 1,478 per game.

Some of the problem with drawing bigger crowds: The baselines for the students aren't available for presale to the general public, and there are almost 1,000 seats in the corner sections (100, 300, 500, 700) which are past the baseline and aren't angled toward the court. Nobody would buy those unless they HAD to be at the game. That leaves only about 2,400 prime seats that we should be filling with paying customers every game, adding the students puts our regular target at around 3,300.

If we're getting 900 students per game (about 7% of undergrads) how many more can we get nightly? What's the realistic % of the student body that's interested in sports at any level, let alone minor college basketball?

I'd like to see a survey done by the AD during something like the BPG to find out what the local fans and students think would make them attend more games. Is it the parking for the locals? Is it walking across a freezing cold campus for the students? Is it the concessions for the locals? Is it the ticket pricing(doubt it)? Will more contests or raffles help to get more students? Things like that. You have a huge audience at BPG and can either have a few students outside while people are walking around asking questions or waiting on line to get food or leaving after the game. Or they can put a table out and ask people to fill out the form. Give away a Danes trinket or something if they fill it out.

In my business it is all about selling to the customer's requirements and it is the same here. Yes, the team being this good should be enough but it obviously isn't, so there has to be something else that the customers (fans) require to make them come to more games. Let's find that out and make the adjustments.

I think for the casual local fans, many still think LCC is the premier program. We need not only things like surveys, etc. but we need our local news stations to cover the team a bit more for the sports segments on the nightly news programs. I don't always watch the news, but the only time I ever see UA on the sports news is typically on YNN (or whatever it's called now). I rarely see WTEN, WNYT, etc. run a story about us.

Going to the other thread, hopefully this new VP can get our information out there. I work for a company who's CEO is CONSTANTLY being interviewed for stories due to what he's been doing for the community, etc. If our PR department can accomplish that, a huge institution like UA should have NO ISSUES getting a news crew on campus.

I think for the casual local fans, many still think LCC is the premier program. We need not only things like surveys, etc. but we need our local news stations to cover the team a bit more for the sports segments on the nightly news programs. I don't always watch the news, but the only time I ever see UA on the sports news is typically on YNN (or whatever it's called now). I rarely see WTEN, WNYT, etc. run a story about us.

Going to the other thread, hopefully this new VP can get our information out there. I work for a company who's CEO is CONSTANTLY being interviewed for stories due to what he's been doing for the community, etc. If our PR department can accomplish that, a huge institution like UA should have NO ISSUES getting a news crew on campus.

The UAlbany Weekly basketball tv show and the one they did for Football is pretty good. I don't *think any station does that for Siena basketball. Edited by MsGDG

If anyone is that clueless, they aren't coming to our games anyway.

I think they are making some progress. Like MsGDG says we now have a weekly football and basketball show on TV during the seasosns.

Yeah, that definitely is progress. But not everyone watches that...however many people (I'd assume) watch the news live in the evening. We need stories during those segments, IMO.

We also need billboards which highlight things like the fact we are undefeated, etc. We should be on the majority of bill boards in the area. I take 787 from Albany to Cohoes at least once a week and take 87/90 from Selkirk to Schenectady every day and don't see anything UAlbany related. And none of that UA UKnow nonsense either.

Yeah, that definitely is progress. But not everyone watches that...however many people (I'd assume) watch the news live in the evening. We need stories during those segments, IMO.

We also need billboards which highlight things like the fact we are undefeated, etc. We should be on the majority of bill boards in the area. I take 787 from Albany to Cohoes at least once a week and take 87/90 from Selkirk to Schenectady every day and don't see anything UAlbany related. And none of that UA UKnow nonsense either.

I drive 787 to 90 every day from Guilderland to downtown Albany and see UAlbany billboards every single day. There is one near Huckfinns and the electronic ones often have UA ads up advertising games and or alums in the area.

So you complain we don't get coverage, Bob and I state that we actually do get our own show and you say not everyone watches it. I get you might be frustrated but again facts are facts..we do get stories. I watch the news a lot and see them all the time. The 6pm news has a small segment on sports thats why many news channels have their own sports shows later at night. You can't force people to watch the news or even read stories in news papers. People have short attention spans. But I must say I do see progress in the UA Weekly show..I think they are really good.

Did you apply to the VP Marketing position yet? ;)

Edited by MsGDG