UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach of the Year

If you were blindly told the following:

1. Team was not picked to win the conference, with the preseason #1 being a solid #1 ; and
2. The team's coach had to integrate 9 new players to the "team culture"; and
3. The team was replacing it's starting PG; and
4. The team would lose its best offensive player and, more importantly, the player is a Captain (the "glue guy") for a month in the middle of the season, and frankly...even earlier, from a mental perspective; and
5. The team rattled off 12 conference wins in a row, 13 overall in a row, and lost it's only conference game by 3 points; and
6. Only three of their first 9 conference games were at home; and
7. They've outscored their conference opponents by double digits; and
8. They clinched at least a share of the Conference Championship...

...would you not think that Coach did a bang up job, locked in for Coach of the Year?!

Clearly just an opinion, there is no question in my mind that Will Brown just sealed the COY award.
Will Brown has built our program from nothing...truly. He may not have gaudy "win" totals, but he's secured a share of the Conference Title (post-season or otherwise, e.g. regular season) in 4 of 14 years. I will take a 3.5 Championship rate any day of the week...a rate that is 2.75 if you don't consider the first three dumpster fire seasons he had with a barely DI squad to coach.
He's averaged, over the past 5 years, 19.4 Wins and 13 Losses. Lot's of schools wish they could sniff those numbers, including one up the Hudson River.
Edited by Dane96

If you were blindly told the following:

1. Team was not picked to win the conference, with the preseason #1 being a solid #1 ; and

2. The team's coach had to integrate 9 new players to the "team culture"; and

3. The team was replacing it's starting PG; and

4. The team would lose its best offensive player and, more importantly, the player is a Captain (the "glue guy") for a month in the middle of the season, and frankly...even earlier, from a mental perspective; and

5. The team rattled off 12 conference wins in a row, 13 overall in a row, and lost it's only conference game by 3 points; and

6. Only three of their first 9 conference games were at home; and

7. They've outscored their conference opponents by double digits; and

8. They clinched at least a share of the Conference Championship...

...would you not think that Coach did a bang up job, locked in for Coach of the Year?!

Clearly just an opinion, there is no question in my mind that Will Brown just sealed the COY award.

Will Brown has built our program from nothing...truly. He may not have gaudy "win" totals, but he's secured a share of the Conference Title (post-season or otherwise, e.g. regular season) in 4 of 14 years. I will take a 3.5 Championship rate any day of the week...a rate that is 2.75 if you don't consider the first three dumpster fire seasons he had with a barely DI squad to coach.
He's averaged, over the past 5 years, 19.4 Wins and 13 Losses. Lot's of schools wish they could sniff those numbers, including one up the Hudson River.

I would tend to agree but I'll bet you'd get a valid argument from UVM if they somehow win/tie for the regular season title.

I think he's done a fantastic job this year. As a guy who has had his complaints about WB's style at times I think he's grown as a coach too. Although the quick hook reared it's head a bit last night I would say he's controlled that a bit. He's also let teams push the ball at times (my old argument of if we score we win).

The tourney wins are what held him up the last five years because if we are being honest 19 wins is good but there are a lot of gimmies in this conference every year, especially the last couple. The departure of mid/top teams BU and NE changed things a bit.

But yes my vote for COY.

If I recall correctly, the awards, including Coach of the Year, are made before the conference tournament. So without waiting for the end of the year for every school, I would say Coach Brown should win that award based on his total record. Forget about all the huge accomplishments in this season. For someone who has taken a team to the NCAA four times in his career and not yet win that award, it would be a grave injustice to him not to receive the award this year.

UNH was tabbed 6th in preseason poll..will finish 4th. UVM was picked 4th..will finish 2nd. Danes picked 3rd..will finish 1st. All two spots better than "expected"..one team won the regular season title while exceeding expectations.

Herrion is doing a nice job winning at a place where no one can win. At least this year. He had a pretty young core of players that could be respectable/contending for a while.

The thing that's been impressive about CB the last couple of years is that he's been winning with different players each year. We lost three starters off each of the previous championship teams and then came back to win another championship. Really a sign of the program being in a great place. As an alum all the off the court stuff has been terrific - the JP signing, bring former players in on the staff and just in general not taking short cuts. Something I don't think he gets enough credit for.

UNH was tabbed 6th in preseason poll..will finish 4th. UVM was picked 4th..will finish 2nd. Danes picked 3rd..will finish 1st. All two spots better than "expected"..one team won the regular season title while exceeding expectations.

Herrion is doing a nice job winning at a place where no one can win. At least this year. He had a pretty young core of players that could be respectable/contending for a while.

The thing that's been impressive about CB the last couple of years is that he's been winning with different players each year. We lost three starters off each of the previous championship teams and then came back to win another championship. Really a sign of the program being in a great place. As an alum all the off the court stuff has been terrific - the JP signing, bring former players in on the staff and just in general not taking short cuts. Something I don't think he gets enough credit for.

Agreed, program is in the best shape it's been maybe ever...Brown is to be commended. What's fair is fair...when he sucked, he got chewed out, but you can't turn a blind eye to where we are today and not tip your cap.