UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Season ticket renewals.

Have patience. I'm confident that the current regime knows what it is doing after being successful elsewhere. I'm sure that they know that with the Siena game this year, there are possibly a lot of local people that will be having their first SEFCU experience and I am sure they want to make a good impression. Give them time to announce their plans, if they have any. If I were them, I would definitely publicly state that something was coming, but not announce any specific details until they are cemented. No reason to raise expectations until you know for sure. Maybe the silence means they aren't doing anything, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

I'm not local and not a season ticket holder for either sport, although I do attend a number of basketball and football games each year, so my opinion may not matter as much. This is a double-edged sword for the school and the fans. Most fans want the athletic program to grow and get bigger and possibly move all sports to CAA or even higher down the road. Well, with each of those moves, more of these types of policies will be put into place to pay for the program. Is it right? I don't know. Is it fair to those who have paid a small amount per year for good seats for 10 and even 20 years to now force them to make bigger donations for those seats or parking spots? Probably not but it is the reality of college athletics and as we grow it will only get worse. So, you either want to stay the same and be happy with that and pay the same or you want to grow the program to bigger and better heights but with a cost. I don't want any of this to come off the wrong way because I would be pissed if I lived in Albany, bought season tickets for the past 20 years with prime parking and now can't afford to do that anymore. But, this comes with the territory of wanting to have better athletics. Benson is known for his ability as a fundraiser and that is what he is attempting to do.

The one troubling aspect, which was mentioned by Click, is that they raised these prices for basketball with no clear or public plan to renovate SEFCU. We have all heard it is a priority but now we need to see and hear about it to know what this money is going towards.

My biggest concern is what impact this will have on attendance. If we are selling out, great, it makes sense to do. To raise ticket prices by double digit % when you have one sellout a year (BPG) is ridiculous. Plenty of games where you have less than 50% capacity. So now lets charge more...that will get people to show up.

We all know with bigger aspirations comes increased cost. However, this administration has shown nothing as far as 3 year, 5 year plan for facilities or program direction. Just jacking prices...show me what SEFCU will look like in a half a decade or so...

Theoretically that game against LCC is supposed to increase demand . Plus if you were one of those going to that game and putting up with the crappy seats you paid something like $195 for the season last year when you include that $20 ticket. Now it is $205 per ticket for my 2 tickets this season. Not really going to cause me to stop going :)

As far as parking, my understanding is $100 donation gets you football and basketball parking in Dutch. Football parking separate in dutch is $50 for the season or $10 per game. I don't know the basketball parking prices for season or game. Would I prefer not to pay for parking . Of course, but if I felt that strongly about it I wouldn't. When I go to RPI hockey or the river rats at the knick I use other options. For football , I like to tailgate so it would be more a burden than it is worth to park elsewhere.

Also it seems to me that some of the people most inpatient with the level we are at are the biggest complainers any time anything increases in price.

As far as the guy complaining about ticket prices and spending $10 - $20 on food and candy. Give me a break. There is no concessions there I like other than Coke and beer so I get food elsewhere and even when I am home I still spend money on food. It is not that much more money to stop and get a sandwich at the deli or wings across the street than it is to eat at home. So that wouldn't stop me from going to the games either

Bob, it's your prerogative if you are willing to accept double digit % increases with no vision or explanation. Lay out a vision for me as a consumer and I'll either gladly support the product or I won't but at least I'll know what I'm paying for. Your comment regarding complaining is ridiculous in the vacuum of information presented. Maybe you feel different but based on the body of work that Benson has so far presented, I've seen very little to blindly support his agenda, whatever that agenda may be. You want to swallow these increases without an explanation or any rationale...more power to you.

He's going into year three...when do you think we'll get a webpage that wasn't built on Lycos during the inception of the internet? So don't lecture me on complaining. That costs $25-35kk to do, and by that I mean a Cadillac implementation. You're the guy that travels to Mogadishu to see the woman's field hockey team, I doubt there is much that will stop you from going to any games; I command you for your dedication. Not everyone can do that.

Let's see if for $50 they can run a shuttle service from Dutch that doesn't come around every 45 minutes. Don't miss the buss or see you in the second half.

P.S. Like I said, I'm all for sensible increases to grow the product/brand/program. What they are doing IMO is on the backs of the small season ticket base trying to grow the financial base and in the proces filet the few folks who religiously follow the program. What cost/market analysis was conducted to see what the sweet spot is? Who knows...God forbid anyone 'complains'. There is a right way to run a business and then the half-assed approach this program takes, my perception but it predates Bensons arrival.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

I'm not local and not a season ticket holder for either sport, although I do attend a number of basketball and football games each year, so my opinion may not matter as much. This is a double-edged sword for the school and the fans. Most fans want the athletic program to grow and get bigger and possibly move all sports to CAA or even higher down the road. Well, with each of those moves, more of these types of policies will be put into place to pay for the program. Is it right? I don't know. Is it fair to those who have paid a small amount per year for good seats for 10 and even 20 years to now force them to make bigger donations for those seats or parking spots? Probably not but it is the reality of college athletics and as we grow it will only get worse. So, you either want to stay the same and be happy with that and pay the same or you want to grow the program to bigger and better heights but with a cost. I don't want any of this to come off the wrong way because I would be pissed if I lived in Albany, bought season tickets for the past 20 years with prime parking and now can't afford to do that anymore. But, this comes with the territory of wanting to have better athletics. Benson is known for his ability as a fundraiser and that is what he is attempting to do.

The one troubling aspect, which was mentioned by Click, is that they raised these prices for basketball with no clear or public plan to renovate SEFCU. We have all heard it is a priority but now we need to see and hear about it to know what this money is going towards.

My biggest concern is what impact this will have on attendance. If we are selling out, great, it makes sense to do. To raise ticket prices by double digit % when you have one sellout a year (BPG) is ridiculous. Plenty of games where you have less than 50% capacity. So now lets charge more...that will get people to show up.

We all know with bigger aspirations comes increased cost. However, this administration has shown nothing as far as 3 year, 5 year plan for facilities or program direction. Just jacking prices...show me what SEFCU will look like in a half a decade or so...

Theoretically that game against LCC is supposed to increase demand . Plus if you were one of those going to that game and putting up with the crappy seats you paid something like $195 for the season last year when you include that $20 ticket. Now it is $205 per ticket for my 2 tickets this season. Not really going to cause me to stop going :)

As far as parking, my understanding is $100 donation gets you football and basketball parking in Dutch. Football parking separate in dutch is $50 for the season or $10 per game. I don't know the basketball parking prices for season or game. Would I prefer not to pay for parking . Of course, but if I felt that strongly about it I wouldn't. When I go to RPI hockey or the river rats at the knick I use other options. For football , I like to tailgate so it would be more a burden than it is worth to park elsewhere.

Also it seems to me that some of the people most inpatient with the level we are at are the biggest complainers any time anything increases in price.

As far as the guy complaining about ticket prices and spending $10 - $20 on food and candy. Give me a break. There is no concessions there I like other than Coke and beer so I get food elsewhere and even when I am home I still spend money on food. It is not that much more money to stop and get a sandwich at the deli or wings across the street than it is to eat at home. So that wouldn't stop me from going to the games either

Bob, it's your prerogative if you are willing to accept double digit % increases with no vision or explanation. Lay out a vision for me as a consumer and I'll either gladly support the product or I won't but at least I'll know what I'm paying for. Your comment regarding complaining is ridiculous in the vacuum of information presented. Maybe you feel different but based on the body of work that Benson has so far presented, I've seen very little to blindly support his agenda, whatever that agenda may be. You want to swallow these increases without an explanation or any rationale...more power to you.

He's going into year three...when do you think we'll get a webpage that wasn't built on Lycos during the inception of the internet? So don't lecture me on complaining. That costs $25-35kk to do, and by that I mean a Cadillac implementation. You're the guy that travels to Mogadishu to see the woman's field hockey team, I doubt there is much that will stop you from going to any games; I command you for your dedication. Not everyone can do that.

Let's see if for $50 they can run a shuttle service from Dutch that doesn't come around every 45 minutes. Don't miss the buss or see you in the second half.

P.S. Like I said, I'm all for sensible increases to grow the product/brand/program. What they are doing IMO is on the backs of the small season ticket base trying to grow the financial base and in the proces filet the few folks who religiously follow the program. What cost/market analysis was conducted to see what the sweet spot is? Who knows...God forbid anyone 'complains'. There is a right way to run a business and then the half-assed approach this program takes, my perception but it predates Bensons arrival.

I'd be fine with a shuttle that runs every 5-10 minutes for $50. The reason why I had SEFCU parking is because that walk in the dead of winter, especially after a loss, is BRUTAL sometimes when it's in the single digits or below 0.

As for Bob...Click said it for me, but much nicer than I would have. Must be nice to have so much time to kill that you don't know what to do with it...some of us don't have time to grab a bite to eat before the game. Can't make blanket statements like that, Bob.

For anyone wondering, he is another email I got from Nate Mason (AD of Tickets: Sales)...FYI I mentioned lack of plan for SEFCU and the fact that Benson hasn't extended Brown yet in my email this morning telling them I was disappointed in what they are doing with the parking...so that's the references in his responses for anyone wondering.

I do agree that this is a bit of a shock however I do believe in the long run the changes being made will benefit the program. I can’t speak to the coaching changes however I can tell you that the money raised will be put to great use. We are introducing an athletics development initiative called the Great Dane Athletic Club. All donors of $100 or more will gain membership and receive a number of benefits such as parking. The money raised will go directly to improving many of the areas you mentioned and will benefit our fans and student athletes. I can absolutely guarantee these funds will be kept in athletics and be put towards areas such as the SEFCU Arena.

I should also mention that annual contributions will count towards all ticketed events in that fiscal year. For example, if you donate $250 for football seats, this contribution would count towards basketball and lacrosse as well. Apologize for the separate emails but would like to get you the most information I have available.

Edited by Eli

I'd be fine with a shuttle that runs every 5-10 minutes for $50. The reason why I had SEFCU parking is because that walk in the dead of winter, especially after a loss, is BRUTAL sometimes when it's in the single digits or below 0.

As for Bob...Click said it for me, but much nicer than I would have. Must be nice to have so much time to kill that you don't know what to do with it...some of us don't have time to grab a bite to eat before the game. Can't make blanket statements like that, Bob.

For anyone wondering, he is another email I got from Nate Mason (AD of Tickets: Sales)...FYI I mentioned lack of plan for SEFCU and the fact that Benson hasn't extended Brown yet in my email this morning telling them I was disappointed in what they are doing with the parking...so that's the references in his responses for anyone wondering.

I do agree that this is a bit of a shock however I do believe in the long run the changes being made will benefit the program. I can’t speak to the coaching changes however I can tell you that the money raised will be put to great use. We are introducing an athletics development initiative called the Great Dane Athletic Club. All donors of $100 or more will gain membership and receive a number of benefits such as parking. The money raised will go directly to improving many of the areas you mentioned and will benefit our fans and student athletes. I can absolutely guarantee these funds will be kept in athletics and be put towards areas such as the SEFCU Arena.

I should also mention that annual contributions will count towards all ticketed events in that fiscal year. For example, if you donate $250 for football seats, this contribution would count towards basketball and lacrosse as well. Apologize for the separate emails but would like to get you the most information I have available.

Yeah. I have time to eat lunch and dinner every day. Sorry if you don't and that means I have "time to kill"

And I know when the games are so if there isn't going to be time to eat before the game then I will eat a bigger or later lunch or get something after the game as there is nothing at the concession stands food wise that I think is worthwhile.

Again I think it is disingenuous for someone spending that kind of money on junk(candy) to then complain that the ticket increase is too much.

There hasn't been an increase in a few years and if you didn't think there would be one when we got an LCC home game an the expected higher demand due to that you are naïve in my opinion.

I make my purchases based on what I perceive as value. I don't purchase things as often that "cost too much" whether they be sports related things like MLB, NFL tickets or other things .

I disagree SO MUCH with a lot of what has been said in the negative. I am not yet sure if AD Benson is an "athletics" guy...but he sure as heck is a business guy. What he is doing is pretty much status quo for the CAA and higher. When I had season tickets at Chestnut Hill Community College (Boston College...the nickname is for NU Hoop Fan), we paid for our season tix. Then we had to pay to park in a garage...and your spot was ONLY guaranteed based on donation size. We also bucked up huge duckets one year so we can get on Shea Field (the premier tailgate area)...where it was suggested that a minimum of $10,000 was the starting point. Thankfully, my friends father was a huge supporter (and a very wealthy man) and he paid a huge sum of that fee. The third year we did this...we didn't even make the Shea Field area (the donation was too low).

Point is, friends, that this is the key way a school makes money for athletics. If we really want to go...you need to pay for it because it is not coming from the State.

I do agree that I'd like a more wholesome plan from AD Benson...however that too is somewhat tricky because the reality is, you need to get the ducks in a row before asking for any State $$$$. I can't think he is that incompetent that he has no plan.

In fact, my only gripe with Benson is that he hasn't re-signed Coach Brown yet. I don't care how it needs to be done...but it needs to be done.

I disagree SO MUCH with a lot of what has been said in the negative. I am not yet sure if AD Benson is an "athletics" guy...but he sure as heck is a business guy. What he is doing is pretty much status quo for the CAA and higher. When I had season tickets at Chestnut Hill Community College (Boston College...the nickname is for NU Hoop Fan), we paid for our season tix. Then we had to pay to park in a garage...and your spot was ONLY guaranteed based on donation size. We also bucked up huge duckets one year so we can get on Shea Field (the premier tailgate area)...where it was suggested that a minimum of $10,000 was the starting point. Thankfully, my friends father was a huge supporter (and a very wealthy man) and he paid a huge sum of that fee. The third year we did this...we didn't even make the Shea Field area (the donation was too low).

Point is, friends, that this is the key way a school makes money for athletics. If we really want to go...you need to pay for it because it is not coming from the State.

I do agree that I'd like a more wholesome plan from AD Benson...however that too is somewhat tricky because the reality is, you need to get the ducks in a row before asking for any State $$$$. I can't think he is that incompetent that he has no plan.

In fact, my only gripe with Benson is that he hasn't re-signed Coach Brown yet. I don't care how it needs to be done...but it needs to be done.

Again, to bullet point this...

- There is no demand, this is not how you create demand

- There is no vision or plan presented, guy is going on year three. Something as simple as a website we've been told is coming, going on 2 years.

Again, to go up, you have to pay...I 'aint even mad...I pay and I upped my football season ticket package this year, will most likely add another for basketball. If they roll out additional information, a vision, a plan...OK, I'll probably change my stance. They are raising prices a significant amount when there is ample supply to meet demand. We'll see what effect it has on tickets sales.

It's a sad state of affairs when there is this much complaining over a couple of bucks a game per seat. Is the economy that bad? Are UA fans really that poor? We are still half the price of LCC. Cheaper than SBU.

It's the principle of the points that Click posted. It's just hard to justify given the lack of information. If I knew what I was throwing money at, it would be a different story.

Over 15+ years of Division 1 basketball, the product has improved. The teams have gotten better and have become consistent contenders. While SEFCU renovations have gone much slower than we would have liked - they have come - for example the video screen in the corner. The marketing budget has not increased as much as the die hards would like, but it has increased - see:billboards, TV shows and commercials. We know more renovations and improvements are coming: while there have been no official announcements from the school - Will Brown did mention them in last year at the season ticket holder reception before the season.

What else do you want? Should the school announce other improvements and changes before they are officially done or approved? Should they make commitments that they can not keep? I agree they should say the something is coming if in fact coming, but the programs do need more revenue to keep up with increasing expenses and continue to grow and improve. They are still underpriced IMHO. Again it is a couple bucks a seat a game. Get a grip.

Edited by godanesgo99

My biggest concern is what impact this will have on attendance. If we are selling out, great, it makes sense to do. To raise ticket prices by double digit % when you have one sellout a year (BPG) is ridiculous. Plenty of games where you have less than 50% capacity. So now lets charge more...that will get people to show up. - Clickclack

Agreed ... I hate to speak in any negative manner about the program/administration (and I am sure that fans of LCC will have a field day reading our posts), but Clickclack hits the nail on the head ... We are not even close to filling that arena on regular basis ... Does the administration expect an increase in attendance/season ticket sales with such a bump in prices? ... We are not there yet ... deja vu: I think back to the first year that they charged for parking in the SEFCU lot - average (real) attendance was about 600 - and they decided to charge for parking ... really? (yes, I know that we had a different AD at the time)

What they are doing IMO is on the backs of the small season ticket base trying to grow the financial base and in the process filet the few folks who religiously follow the program. - Clickclack

Agreed x2 ... There is a solid core who have been coming to games, every night, for years/decades (and a number for fewer years, but also, there every night) ... often joke about how during the early years of DI everyone knew each other on a first name basis, because there were only a few hundred people in the building ... wife and I would pull into the parking lot saying, "Lets hope they keep it close" ... won't mention the member of the athletic dept. who stopped down during a women's game, many years back, to hand us a gift and thank us for coming out every night when the women were not competitive and there were about two hundred fans in attendance

QuoteIt's the principle of the points that Click posted. It's just hard to justify given the lack of information. If I knew what I was throwing money at, it would be a different story. – Eli

Eli gets it, bingo ... I am all about growing the program ... understand the need for revenue ... supportive ... but, to just have a significant increase thrown upon the loyal base without any clear public plan about where the revenue is headed (goals, projects, etc.), is disappointing

attended games as an undergraduate ... was present at games (no season tickets) in the years following graduation (Class of '93 ... medical leave senior year, otherwise Class of '92), would have purchased season tickets at the time, but there was no need ... few in attendance ... purchased season tickets for the first time in '02-'03 ... believe that it was '03-'04 when they put the courtside seats in, so I purchased 6 (just the wife and I), expecting that the program would grow, that it would be a nice vantage point, and that the program could use the $ ... flash forward ... still have those 6 ... paid $1800 for the men, plus $600 for the women last season (plus, four season tickets for football ... don't have lacrosse season tickets, but at just about every home game $) ... wife and I did not need six on our own, but for the past 13 years we have tried to bring neighbors, co-workers, family, friends, and even a few strangers who would not otherwise come out to UA games ... guarantee that I market the program in the community as much as anyone: alums, fans, UA employees ... so it caught me by surprise that our seats for the men went from $1800 to $3300 (still waiting on the new price for the women ... comparable increase? ... we'll find out soon) ... again, I know the value of the product has grown and that the administration - in a perfect world for them - would reclaim the seats that we sit in and distribute them to new corporate donors (but it does cause me to ask, where were those folks when the only people in the arena were players, coaches, referees, medics, support staff and a few hundred fans?) ... love the phone calls that I have received in the past week from a few close season ticket holders ... similarly dismayed

We are still half the price of LCC. - godanesgo99

We don't play in a comparable arena ... we don't (yet) draw their numbers ... and we have not been 'in the game' as long

It's a sad state of affairs when there is this much complaining over a couple of bucks a game per seat. Is the economy that bad? Are UA fans really that poor? - godanesgo99

no, not too poor ... just significantly disappointed by the process ... thought we deserved a better approach ... maybe I expected too much

• Like 4