UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

With the states five year contract rule, I am not sure if GG had this year and next left on his contract. Maybe it had something to do with a December signing post dated January?? But either way i still do not see the RUSH on the resigning/extension. If they did it because of a concern/an abundance of confidence in this years class, tell the TRUTH and say so. But to say they are rewarding GG for the "great job" he has done, does NOT add up in any way or form.

I have argued in the past (at least in my opinion) the jump to the caa was just that; a move up, but NOT a leap across oceans or a leap of Faith aka "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail." My God some of you make it sound like we were competing with DIII athletes in the NFL; and NOT given a new stadium, a lot more scholarships, 10 million $s and a new GDAC. I do not think it was such a gargantuan task given to GG and even if it was/is he has NOT shown me, that he is capable of living up to it. I for one say "What's the Rush Tell me what's Happening"{loosely quoted from 'Jesus Christ Superstar.'} No one is asking for GG to be a Super Star, but the job he has/is done is suspect; especially with staff and how they are used. The kids he put on the field and how they performed, right or wrong ultimately is on him.

Lastly, Hof, I too have never played college sports; but I watched Bob Ford from his first club game to many "leaps" of leagues/divisions/etc. Even without being a player, one does learn a thing or two over the years. Bob Ford built and LEFT a legacy and I never say anyone is wrong on this blog, but in this instance you are wrong, if you doubt or hint that Bob Ford did in any way not turn UA football over to GG ready for the next LEAP. Even the only good qb in the GG years was a Ford recruit and a kid GG said he had doubts about.

Sorry but you are just plain wrong dyslink. I never said or would hint anything against coach - that is different than saying they were ready. They knew they were not. They KNEW it was jump and they KNEW it would be at least several years to being competitive. I have actually talked to coach Ford and staff members who I played about this AND I certainly have a far different relationship than you may have with him or them. Not sure why you rag on the QB rather than the O line. NO Qb ever make all of the passes perfectly and when they are always under attack it is REALLY tough. Not going to say more about that BUT give and example. Look at Eli with the Giants this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think another cog in the wheel to the extension was that Clark and Plungas left. I feel they may have wanted to create a sense of stability for last year's class and this year's, which are all Gatusso's. Not as easy as he sucks, his coaches suck and they don't know what they are doing. Just can not compare the last 4 years to ANY other school in the league by the way. Some may not see it or understand BUT it is was a huge jump up. See my previous post. Nuff said about this.

Hell I played for Coach Ford YEARS ago, started all three years I was here, was a defensive starter on the only Undefeated team we have ever had. I BLEED purple, I really do. I contribute more than I should every year AND I have 3 season tickets for FB and now 2 for lacrosse [men]. I am TIED to UA. I also coached for 20 years!!!!! Discussions have to be honest and folks should talk from a position of SOME knowledge not only from the heart and being pissed off!!

Okay now throw your darts!!!

No reason to throw darts, you are entitled to your opinion or to be dismissive of others...it's your prerogative. Question though, when do you think it's acceptable to question 11-21 or put it different 34% winning %?

Does he in your opinion need to have a winning record this year in the CAA?

Don't know - too many unknowns - like an All-American running back getting hurt and missing the season. It looks positive from my perspective but you never really know. Coaches have to make good decisions and kids - yes kids - have to make good decisions during games - like not getting stupid 15 yard penalties - could have beaten Old Dominion without a stupid penalty near the end of the game - was 24 -17 and we had a 15 yarder when we shut them down on a 3rd down play giving them a first down - they went on to score again - end of story. Coaches do not play on the field.

Remember - 20 points in our favor and we win at least 5 more games last year. Two overtime games again!!! Real close last year.

Edited by HOF2013

This thread is a classic case of half full vs half empty. Some people only see the good, some people only see the bad. Some people think they are right because of <x variable> and some people think they are right because of <y variable>.

All we know is...we're a bottom feeder in the CAA.

You can always fire a coach if need be and pay him out, who cares. The contract may stipulate he doesn't get paid out if he is fired or loses money if he doesn't win a certain amount of games or makes the NCAA tournament. Until you know the terms of the contract we shouldn't worry. its not like its our money that's paying him, its the University's (I know taxes...take it up with Cuomo). Contracts or handshakes mean nothing in sports(see that moron Josh McDaniels). I would be more concerned with how far a firing would set back the program.

I imagine if we don't make the NCAA tournament in the next year or two then there would be something to bitch about

UA is broke as an athletic department...it's true, we don't know what his buyout is if any but to suggest that they will be able to find 300k per/years left AND pay a new coaching staff is a bit of a stretch. Better hope he gets it going and not continue collecting a paycheck and winning 34% of his games.

Not firing that incompetent OC is borderline negligence. Going into year 5 not having a QB that can play in the CAA IS negligence...

What??? Where did this come from?? Men and Women's BB in NCAA tournament several times over the last 6 years. Men's and women's lacrosse in the NCAA tournament more than once recently - the men ranked top 25 EVERY year - 3-4 this year before the season - women ranked in the top 25 before the season too. Track and field, which is more of an individual sport always has some great performances and champions. Softball went to the NCAA tournament last year. Don't follow the other sports BUT UA wins the big league award [commissioners cup???? - not sure what it is called] for most championship teams a LOT!

What's your question? Regarding what Albany does if GG continues to flounder and now on the hook for 5 years meaning can they cut bait? My comment was regarding the budgetary state of the UA athletic department not their competence. They do more with less...it's pretty remarkable.

ln this case your grammar was too good for us, I also thought you meant the athletic department was broken.

You can always fire a coach if need be and pay him out, who cares. The contract may stipulate he doesn't get paid out if he is fired or loses money if he doesn't win a certain amount of games or makes the NCAA tournament. Until you know the terms of the contract we shouldn't worry. its not like its our money that's paying him, its the University's (I know taxes...take it up with Cuomo). Contracts or handshakes mean nothing in sports(see that moron Josh McDaniels). I would be more concerned with how far a firing would set back the program.

I imagine if we don't make the NCAA tournament in the next year or two then there would be something to bitch about

UA is broke as an athletic department...it's true, we don't know what his buyout is if any but to suggest that they will be able to find 300k per/years left AND pay a new coaching staff is a bit of a stretch. Better hope he gets it going and not continue collecting a paycheck and winning 34% of his games.

Not firing that incompetent OC is borderline negligence. Going into year 5 not having a QB that can play in the CAA IS negligence...

What??? Where did this come from?? Men and Women's BB in NCAA tournament several times over the last 6 years. Men's and women's lacrosse in the NCAA tournament more than once recently - the men ranked top 25 EVERY year - 3-4 this year before the season - women ranked in the top 25 before the season too. Track and field, which is more of an individual sport always has some great performances and champions. Softball went to the NCAA tournament last year. Don't follow the other sports BUT UA wins the big league award [commissioners cup???? - not sure what it is called] for most championship teams a LOT!

What's your question? Regarding what Albany does if GG continues to flounder and now on the hook for 5 years meaning can they cut bait? My comment was regarding the budgetary state of the UA athletic department not their competence. They do more with less...it's pretty remarkable.

ln this case your grammar was too good for us, I also thought you meant the athletic department was broken.

Rereading it, I can see how that could have been phrased more clearly. I meant broke as in financially and not broken. Case in point, we are only one of two programs in the ae not offering cola

With the states five year contract rule, I am not sure if GG had this year and next left on his contract. Maybe it had something to do with a December signing post dated January?? But either way i still do not see the RUSH on the resigning/extension. If they did it because of a concern/an abundance of confidence in this years class, tell the TRUTH and say so. But to say they are rewarding GG for the "great job" he has done, does NOT add up in any way or form.

I have argued in the past (at least in my opinion) the jump to the caa was just that; a move up, but NOT a leap across oceans or a leap of Faith aka "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail." My God some of you make it sound like we were competing with DIII athletes in the NFL; and NOT given a new stadium, a lot more scholarships, 10 million $s and a new GDAC. I do not think it was such a gargantuan task given to GG and even if it was/is he has NOT shown me, that he is capable of living up to it. I for one say "What's the Rush Tell me what's Happening"{loosely quoted from 'Jesus Christ Superstar.'} No one is asking for GG to be a Super Star, but the job he has/is done is suspect; especially with staff and how they are used. The kids he put on the field and how they performed, right or wrong ultimately is on him.

Lastly, Hof, I too have never played college sports; but I watched Bob Ford from his first club game to many "leaps" of leagues/divisions/etc. Even without being a player, one does learn a thing or two over the years. Bob Ford built and LEFT a legacy and I never say anyone is wrong on this blog, but in this instance you are wrong, if you doubt or hint that Bob Ford did in any way not turn UA football over to GG ready for the next LEAP. Even the only good qb in the GG years was a Ford recruit and a kid GG said he had doubts about.

Sorry but you are just plain wrong dyslink. I never said or would hint anything against coach - that is different than saying they were ready. They knew they were not. They KNEW it was jump and they KNEW it would be at least several years to being competitive. I have actually talked to coach Ford and staff members who I played about this AND I certainly have a far different relationship than you may have with him or them. Not sure why you rag on the QB rather than the O line. NO Qb ever make all of the passes perfectly and when they are always under attack it is REALLY tough. Not going to say more about that BUT give and example. Look at Eli with the Giants this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think another cog in the wheel to the extension was that Clark and Plungas left. I feel they may have wanted to create a sense of stability for last year's class and this year's, which are all Gatusso's. Not as easy as he sucks, his coaches suck and they don't know what they are doing. Just can not compare the last 4 years to ANY other school in the league by the way. Some may not see it or understand BUT it is was a huge jump up. See my previous post. Nuff said about this.

Hell I played for Coach Ford YEARS ago, started all three years I was here, was a defensive starter on the only Undefeated team we have ever had. I BLEED purple, I really do. I contribute more than I should every year AND I have 3 season tickets for FB and now 2 for lacrosse [men] - my son was a long stick defensemen at UA. I am TIED to UA. I also coached different levels of Fb for 20 years!!!!! Discussions have to be honest and folks should talk from a position of SOME knowledge not only from the heart and being pissed off!!

Hof, Sorry if I missed interpreted your response to Eli:

"I played for Coach Ford and love him about as much as any man but my dad BUT I think you are wrong on the point about how he left the program, Coach KNEW what would happen."

But I still disagree with you on "how he left the program." He left a LEGACY! Of course he knew the next jump would be difficult. And as I've stated a number of times {even though I respect your opinion}, I still feel the move to the caa was a hill not a Mountain! (In my opinion) Ford's leaps from DIII to II to I with no stadium, no scholarships (until a few @ the very end) and little funding, was MORE of a leap than anything GG faced going NEC to CAA with loads of support and a tradition and a Legacy to build on. And lastly, while I do respect your opinion, to say yours are more right than other because you played, is (pardon my opinion) NONSENSE.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2

Hell I played for Coach Ford YEARS ago, started all three years I was here, was a defensive starter on the only Undefeated team we have ever had. I BLEED purple, I really do. I contribute more than I should every year AND I have 3 season tickets for FB and now 2 for lacrosse [men] - my son was a long stick defensemen at UA. I am TIED to UA. I also coached different levels of Fb for 20 years!!!!! Discussions have to be honest and folks should talk from a position of SOME knowledge not only from the heart and being pissed off!!

"I played for Coach Ford and love him about as much as any man but my dad BUT I think you are wrong on the point about how he left the program, Coach KNEW what would happen."

But I still disagree with you on "how he left the program." He left a LEGACY! Of course he knew the next jump would be difficult. And as I've stated a number of times {even though I respect your opinion}, I still feel the move to the caa was a hill not a Mountain! (In my opinion) Ford's leaps from DIII to II to I with no stadium, no scholarships (until a few @ the very end) and little funding, was MORE of a leap than anything GG faced going NEC to CAA with loads of support and a tradition and a Legacy to build on. And lastly, while I do respect your opinion, to say yours are more right than other because you played, is (pardon my opinion) NONSENSE.

You can say all you want about support, tradition and legacy but none of that helps NEC players and low amount of scholarship players compete in the top FCS conference. It is a very big jump and I am not defending Gattuso with that but you can't blame Ford.

Not sure how it was meant but in no way did I think you meant financially - Sorry for the misread. No idea on that.

Ford absolutely did more with less. Is there even a debate? Come on folks. Take the CAA colored glasses off.

Eli he had 10 less scholarships and it is a HUGE step up the the CAA, just saying. Coach was masterful in many ways - no question about that. Just saying it is really comparing apples and oranges. Doesn't seem like much BUT he has told me and other coaches on the staff have told me they knew it was going to be a huge step. Does not mean it was a bad move. Just means realistically they knew it would take some years to be a top team in the league and a LOT of work. And that is proving correct!

Not sure the "did more with less" is true though. Different level, different caliber of athlete, way different caliber of speed. Not merely just 10 more scholarships and a new league.

They always dominated each new level BUT not always immediately, there are adjustments.

Edited by HOF2013

Not disagreeing with legacy - Never mentioned that at all BUT that doesn't have much to do with jumping up to the CAA. I will agree that coaching Div III and Div II have as much to do with the abilities of the coach and the staff members he hires as anything else. That leads to better athletes wanting to be a part of the program. No dispute at all.. Coach has been incredibly masterful in doing that over the years. In addition, much of his legacy also is in all of the HS and college coaches all over the US that he basically trained. No dispute from me on any of that.

By the way there were scholarships from at least from 1999 when we jumped to Div I.

I had a couple of paragraphs about your comment ending in "nonsense" but deleted them. Personal attacks are what people move to when they have nothing else to use to prove their point. Nuff said!

Edited by HOF2013

Not sure the "did more with less" is true though. Different level, different caliber of athlete, way different caliber of speed. Not merely just 10 more scholarships and a new league.

I don't understand how you can say any of that. To suggest that Ford and GG have done the same for the program is absolute insanity.

Ford started this team, basically, decades ago when it (I assume - maybe in jest) played on a regular patch of grass with maybe a few lawn chairs. He took this team from club level through multiple levels of NCAA football AND got it to the point where a huge (for our level) stadium was built with his freakin name on it. I don't need to really harp on the history of our program.

Gattuso comes in and all he needs to do is recruit some extra kids to fill the extra scholarships. Who cares about having to recruit better athletes? Frankly, that's irrelevant. Any coach at this level would have access to those same kids including Ford - Gattuso is DEFINITELY not recruiting kids above our level. I don't recall him stealing a superstar from a BCS or FBS team that came in and immediately started for us and was All-CAA, Player of the Year, etc. etc. And even then...the top level of FCS is expected to maybe steal a kid or two like that just because he might not get playing time at the upper levels. You cannot claim that Gattuso is a master recruiter and doing more with less. He's recruiting the same FCS kids that Ford or any other UA coach would be recruiting. He didn't have to build a program from LITERALLY the ground up and he didn't have to do ANYTHING to get a new stadium built. Just recruit. And he's done a poor job of it on offense (IMO) and a decent job of it on defense (although I'm curious to see if that was more a result of Bernard Clark and not just Gattuso).

I'm done posting in this thread...

439.gif

Ford >> 1000000x more important >> Gattuso. Not even close. Compared to Ford, Gattuso is a ZERO. Nobody. Easily replaced...or rather could be if we stopped giving out 5 year contracts on a whim. lol.

Peace.

Edited by Eli

Gg had 3 years... I'll grant him his first, he still can't find a qb that isn't garbage as a football player... Not a reflection of them as people, I'm sure they are fine young men. That's on Gattuso... The most critical position and he SIMPLY CAN'T DO IT... HE CAN'T FIND A QB.

This is where the gg apologist throw the young kids (oline) that Gattuso recruited under the bus to protect/deflect blame from a grown man.

Edited by Clickclack

Wow. I’ve stayed out of this up to now. I’m not sure what the impetus was for the early extension except for recruiting and the AD seeing someone too valuable to let go. We can’t deny the deficiencies on offense and the OC. The defense made the comparable overall statistics very even for what record wise we deem a very bad season. The season would have been very different for want of a very few points here and there. I’m not ready to give up on Brunson and have hopes for the new guy coming in. A passing game is tough to sustain without a running game and EB sitting out I’m certain cost us a couple games at a minimum. The O Line was still coming together and ought to be better this year.

Count me in the list of people who think the move to the CAA was tougher than we know. A couple of plays from the first year stand out

to me. One was Kevin Chillis reversing field and being unable to turn the corner because all of the opposing defensive backs were as fast as him. Another was against UNH when their young kick returner had our coverage teams tackling air and looking silly.

LAX season is dawning.....