UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football mid season thoughts

First, I've only seen 3 full games and part of a fourth so I'm not as close as the rest of you are. But, thought that I'd give some impressions and ask for impressions at the half way point of the season.

1. I think Fiacchi is playing really well. Seems to be scrambling better and is more accurate overall. Still seems to struggle on the deep ball.

2. Overall, I think the offense is playing well. If Fiacchi can continue to make the passes, it will help give Osbourne more space.

2. Defense started off strong but seem to have struggled since the Columbia game. I think the Columbia game was deceiving. We didn't play defense well then and have struggles since then, they had turnovers and dropped passes. Not sure what the difference is but I think that's when I first noticed Kologrivov with the cast on his arm. Also, we seem to have trouble tackling in space - that's an issue with very athletic teams.

3. Very happy with the coaching. I think the defense has some work to do but there are constraints - undersized at LB and we don't have the overall athleticism to defend teams like JMU and Richmond well but it seems like forcing turnovers and a lot of movement is helping. I didn't see the Richmond game but not sure why Osbourne didn't run more. He's run when we were down against JMU, URI and Holy Cross...

Also think it's interesting to look at the recruiting. None of the newcomers that have contributed significantly were part of the announced class on national signing day. Not sure what this says about the process but it's good that we can get contributors late in the process.

Gontarek - he was a late signee. From some of the articles, he qualified late and was going to a D2 school before coming to Albany

Toole - I think this is his third school in as many years. Didn't even know he was in the team until the season started.

Jamal Merritt - didn't know he was on the team until the season started either and he's in the rotation at safety.

Neverdon - late signee and he blocked a punt (maybe a field goal) against JMU.

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but we lose all the skill players for next year - Osbourne, Parker, Fiacchi and King..

I'm not sure I agree with 1. Fiacchi seems to do worse on short passes than the long ones (he has had a ton of 20+ yard throws completed)...especially against Richmond (he had the most success on the long ball). When he tries to dink and dunk, for whatever reason (be it timing, receiver routes), I feel like his ball is hitting the ground a lot more. Sometimes just throws straight into the ground Tim Tebow style.

I'm not going to miss him. The only thing he does great is doesn't turn it over. But he's not a great scrambler when needed (whether it's by ability or lack of awareness), his accuracy is suspect, etc.

From what I've heard...this kid Shanley is going to be EPIC. Evidently he makes Fiacchi look like a D2/D3 QB...but due to politics/seniority, he won't get a shot till next year.

Edited by Ilko

Ilko...let's back up about 500 yards on this. Fiacchi isn't a scrambler...period...never was...but he has done a much better job this year of getting out of the pocket when needed. And, he is most definitely weaker in the deep zone and deep flats than he is on the shorter and intermediate flats and curls.

Your assessment is your opinion but it is overly harsh...and frankly--much like your assessment of Fiacchi--inaccurate.

I was surprised looking at stats here... http://www.caasports...rs.htm#conf.wi2

Fiacchi seems to be having a pretty solid season to be honest. I still don't trust him although I must admit he seems to be getting better as the season progresses. My biggest concern is his throws on the run. When he gets flushed out of the pocket he can't throw on the run.

CAA only stats here http://www.caasports...ly.htm#conf.wi2

He seems to be right around 4th or 5th in a lot of the more important categories. Again, I honestly thought he was worse then he really is. Not sure if last year is clouding my judgment a bit.

Edited by Clickclack

Ilko...let's back up about 500 yards on this. Fiacchi isn't a scrambler...period...never was...but he has done a much better job this year of getting out of the pocket when needed. And, he is most definitely weaker in the deep zone and deep flats than he is on the shorter and intermediate flats and curls.

Your assessment is your opinion but it is overly harsh...and frankly--much like your assessment of Fiacchi--inaccurate.

We can agree to disagree. He's improved since last year stats wise because of a slightly better O-Line and a BEAST in Gontarek and Parker who help him out a ton. And King is finally ballin this year after being a ghost last year. Those three things will definitely help a QB out.

But his percentage has gone down to almost (or basically) 50%. That's BAD. He should be in the high 50's (bare minimum). He is the least accurate QB in those stats.

And as Click mentioned, which is what I was getting at earlier, when he DOES scramble (obviously he's no Vick - duh)...he is horrible throwing the ball. Problem is, he tends to throw in that situation more often than run (regardless of space or not). He had 2 runs against Richmond where he could have gotten 8 yards or so and instead threw it out of bounds. If he's not throwing it out of bounds on those out of pocket passes, he's throwing it at peoples feet. I know people agree with me because we all complain about his throws in our section. No one said he is a scrambler, but you should be able to do something productive when flushed out of the pocket instead of just throwing it away all the time. When he's in the pocket and has time, he's a great QB. But anyone can do that with time. When he's facing pressure or getting flushed, he becomes below average.

I'm not new to the game. I know a bad throw when I see one.

Edited by Ilko