UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Flagship Update

ATL_DANE

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buffalo and SBU presidents team up on the flagship issue in today's T-U

Top schools should lead the way for SUNY

What do they think will be the effect on Albany and Binghamton? Who's going to speak up for them?

I'm a little dumfounded that the TU would print that without offering a counter-piece from Philips or someone at UAlbany. Maybe they will, but I mean isn't the TU supposed to be in support of the Capital Region? I hope they get their collective heads out of you know where and realize that they are hurting the Capital Region and I hope they do it soon,

This is unprecedented, it's obvious SB and BU are starting a campaign to gain public support in the capital district. They won't have trouble selling their own communities on the need/want of this plan to go through. The challenge will lie (hopefully if people stick up for the CD) in getting the CD on board. The CD with the population of over 1million people is crucial in gaining what they want. And that is build themselves up at the expense of UAlbany. The TU is to stupid to recognize that they are shooting themselves and the community they serve in the foot. Right now would be about high time for the UatA to offer some kind/any kind of rebuttal.

Has anyone forwarded this piece to the "leadership" of the University?

Yes have the two places that don't represent New York be the flagships. Buffalo is not New York more like Canada or the Midwest and Stony Brook is towards the end of Long Island or what people like to refer to as "suitcase school".

Buffalo is the midwest, they all have midwest accents too.

Hahaha, and they fall on the other side of the soda-vs.-pop line (calling those beverages "pop" in Buffalo).

In all seriousness, and only in my humble and relatively uninformed opinion, I think Buffalo is a dump compared to Albany (not the campus, just talking about the city here). Western NY depresses me. :(

At least one student responds: Enable every SUNY campus to meet goals

And to the letter writer’s point Stony Crook has no problem with outside funding because they are so 'special'

Tell Shirley to go $iena in her hat, ask her where she goes for medical care, I can sure as heck tell you it is not Stony Brook Medical Center.

Here is more proof of how special and great they are

Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/educatio...0,3294166.story

T-U front page story about the Spitzer adviser pushing the two flagships

Spitzer adviser used to playing hardball

Ironically, the picture accompanying the story was shot on the UAlbany podium

capitol0306constantine.jpg

Education column shows Canestrari knows about it SUNY 'flagship' label concerns lawmaker but the story gives more space to the UB/SBU position than anything supporting Albany

When Stony Brook was lobbying (students and staff) on Tuesday they basically said they were the flagship and that they needed support from the legislature because it would take them to make it official. There was no mention of Buffalo at all....of course so narrow minded. Of course I mentioned I was a SUNY alumni from Bing (don't kill me), and soon to be Albany in May. They didn't seem too happy and asked if I was going to SB for my PhD...and I said uhh no. They gloated about how it is the Gov's initiative to make SB the flagship because he mentioned it in his speech. Felt as if I wanted to vomit.

On a funny note though I overheard a lady talking to some guy about how her son might play basketball for SB, and the man's response was that they need all the help they can get.

When Stony Brook was lobbying (students and staff) on Tuesday they basically said they were the flagship and that they needed support from the legislature because it would take them to make it official. There was no mention of Buffalo at all....of course so narrow minded. Of course I mentioned I was a SUNY alumni from Bing (don't kill me), and soon to be Albany in May. They didn't seem too happy and asked if I was going to SB for my PhD...and I said uhh no. They gloated about how it is the Gov's initiative to make SB the flagship because he mentioned it in his speech. Felt as if I wanted to vomit.

On a funny note though I overheard a lady talking to some guy about how her son might play basketball for SB, and the man's response was that they need all the help they can get.

Welcome to the board MsGDG!

Maybe this will a good time to speak with legislators about the "flagship" issue:

Advocate for UAlbany

You’re invited to join faculty, staff, students, alumni and the Capital Region Legislative Delegation as we rally to advocate for UAlbany on UAlbany Day, March 18. Share our story with legislators at a reception, 4:30-6:30 p.m., at the Empire State Plaza, Albany Room. Bus transportation will be available from Collins Circle 3:45-5:30 p.m. and returning after the event. Click here to register or call (518) 442-5373 to register or receive more information. RSVP by March 16.

Archived