UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What do you guys think about this set up:

The Big America Football Conference.

North

Albany

Stony Brook

Fordham

Central Conn.

Monmouth

Marist (get them to sponsor schollys)

South

Liberty

Charleston Southern

Gardner Webb

VMI

Coastal Carolina

Presby

This is the best thing I've seen. We could compete right away!

I think this conference design would be great. I don't think that is in question.

What is clear is that the NEC, as it is currently designed, is not acceptable. The NEC is not what most Americans think of as D1 football. The NEC is a partial scholarship football conference in a cost containment division (FCS). Is this cost containment of cost containment?

I completely disagree with the idea that we should be content being a "shark in a small pond". If this was the goal, we could have stayed at D3? Maybe Boise State and South Florida should have stayed in FCS? Try getting their alumni to agree it was a bad decision to move up.

We need to grow. UA needs to keep up with our SUNY Center peers. I hate UB as much as the next guy but moving to FBS was a smart and bold move. UB was criticized for years for moving to FBS but this year they were rewarded with a Bowl game against UConn. They will build on that success next year. UB may be run by an egotistical maniac who has no regard for his fellow SUNY Centers but at least he isn't afraid to make a bold decision.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NO BIG SOUTH!!!

WHY! WHY! WHY!

A. We are dominating the NEC and they get an auto bid in 2010. Its almost a guarantee to get into the playoffs every year! Why be a little fish in a big pond when we can be the Shark in the small pond.

B. This is shades of BC leaving the Big East for the ACC. If they had stayed in the Big East they could have made a BCS game easy by now, but since moving to the ACC they have doomed themselves to playing in the Who Give's a Sh*t Bowl every December.

C. Getting a game against Western Michigan because we moved to the Big South won't get the campus excited. I saw the throngs of people that showed up for the Gridiron Classic on YES.

D. Why follow SBU. Don't we want to do they exact opposite of what they are doing. We are better than them they should follow our lead.

E. The payout of the FBS game would offset the travel?! The whole point is to make money while getting your a** kicked not doing it for free.

F. Face it, We are a Bball and LAX school. The only time I ever saw the campus get excited was for the Basketball team the Football team just didn't do it. They are great and Ford is an awesome coach and a great man. I love Football but I am happy with where we are at this time. I however would like to see some work done to University Field in the interim so when we get that playoff game we look good on TV.

G. I live in CT and I like the fact I can travel to CCSU(10min) and SHU(40min) to see them play every year.

STAY IN THE NEC AND RENOVATE UNIVERSITY FIELD!!!

UA can be in the Big South and still play CCSU. Where did you get the idea we couldn't schedule this game? Why would we want to is the better question.

Also, it's ridiculous to imply we would lose regional rivalries or not be able to play Northeast (NE) games. We played 4 OOC games last year. All of our OOC games could still be local to the NE if we were in the Big South. We could play 4 OOC games against NE colleges. Whether they are home or away games they would still be NE games. Half of our league games would be home games. One of our league games would be against SBU, so it would also be in the NE.

That only leaves maybe 3 road games to the South. We've taken at least 1 road trip a year as it is (Georgia Southern, Montana etc). That would mean only playing 2 or 3 more games outside the region out of a 10 game schedule.

For playing a lousy 3 games in the South, UA would be able to go full schollie and begin scheduling an occasional FBS money game. The NEC may have a AQ for the playoffs but what good is it if we are only playing with 30+ schollies. One and out?

Are you saying we don't need the money? Are you saying that we couldn't play CCSU anymore? Are you saying 6 or 7 NE games aren't enough? Maybe your saying UA isn't good enough to keep up with their SUNY Center peers? Maybe UA just shouldn't try?

I disagree with all of these assertions.

North

Albany

Stony Brook

Fordham

Central Conn.

Monmouth

South

Liberty

Charleston Southern

Gardner Webb

VMI

Coastal Carolina

Presby

DF, did you create this lineup, or did you find it somewhere?

Are other schools (fans) trying to formulate ideas as well?

And I agree with all of ATL's comments and responses.

North

Albany

Stony Brook

Fordham

Central Conn.

Monmouth

South

Liberty

Charleston Southern

Gardner Webb

VMI

Coastal Carolina

Presby

DF, did you create this lineup, or did you find it somewhere?

Are other schools (fans) trying to formulate ideas as well?

And I agree with all of ATL's comments and responses.

I came up with it under the theory of essentially an NEC combination with the Big South. Taking from the NEC teams that seem to have the most interest (and ability) to go full scholarship.

Throw Marist and Fordham out the window and you have what is essentially the Big 10 in FBS. A rotational schedule whereby each team doesn't play 1 or 2 different conference opponents each year and each team gets 2 rivalry games that are guaranteed to happen each year (e.g. we could guarantee games against CCSU and Stony Brook each year).

I haven't seen anything on it, but I like it.

I believe it is the intention of our athletic department to continue to grow and strive for excellence. This implies competing at the highest level possible. The NEC was our opportunity to enter FCS football a decade ago. It served its purpose. I don't believe we are a university that wants to settle for low level mediocrity, when it is possible to REALLY compete at the highest level of FCS College football. The NEC will never grow and reach the level at which we want to be... it's clear. ATL has it right, what good is a 1 and done in the playoffs if we do win the NEC division.

At this point, with 30 scholarships, we are highly competitive with teams like UMass, Montana, Delaware, UNH, and Hofstra. We have had a chance of winning most of the time. I believe when we go 63 scholarships, this team's (program's) success, under Ford's leadership and status, grows exponentially. I believe that before anyone could imagine, we'll be competing for the FCS championship. I believe that is what the affect will be when we maximize our potential.

Wondering what the effect will be when our full scholarship football team takes on a TEXAS TECH or BOSTON COLLEGE type of game, it will be huge. It will attract a TON of new fans to our program. People (fans) want to be associated with people (teams) who hang out and associate with (play) the BIG BOYS.

I don't short change this university. I'm very proud of our university, and the tradition and history behind it. Academically, we are a strong university.

Our athletic department has grown tremendously in such a short period of time. Men's lacrosse is heading for the university's first National Championship. Our men's basketball team continues to improve, and has shot our university into the national spotlight on numerous occasions. Our Track and field teams are dominant. Our volleyball and softball teams are winning games in the NCAA tournaments.

Put the academics and athletics together, and we are a mighty fine University for a full scholarship football player to attend.

Give them full scholarships, and THEY WILL COME!

NO BIG SOUTH!!!

WHY! WHY! WHY!

A. We are dominating the NEC and they get an auto bid in 2010. Its almost a guarantee to get into the playoffs every year! Why be a little fish in a big pond when we can be the Shark in the small pond.

B. This is shades of BC leaving the Big East for the ACC. If they had stayed in the Big East they could have made a BCS game easy by now, but since moving to the ACC they have doomed themselves to playing in the Who Give's a Sh*t Bowl every December.

C. Getting a game against Western Michigan because we moved to the Big South won't get the campus excited. I saw the throngs of people that showed up for the Gridiron Classic on YES.

D. Why follow SBU. Don't we want to do they exact opposite of what they are doing. We are better than them they should follow our lead.

E. The payout of the FBS game would offset the travel?! The whole point is to make money while getting your a** kicked not doing it for free.

F. Face it, We are a Bball and LAX school. The only time I ever saw the campus get excited was for the Basketball team the Football team just didn't do it. They are great and Ford is an awesome coach and a great man. I love Football but I am happy with where we are at this time. I however would like to see some work done to University Field in the interim so when we get that playoff game we look good on TV.

G. I live in CT and I like the fact I can travel to CCSU(10min) and SHU(40min) to see them play every year.

STAY IN THE NEC AND RENOVATE UNIVERSITY FIELD!!!

UA can be in the Big South and still play CCSU. Where did you get the idea we couldn't schedule this game? Why would we want to is the better question.

Also, it's ridiculous to imply we would lose regional rivalries or not be able to play Northeast (NE) games. We played 4 OOC games last year. All of our OOC games could still be local to the NE if we were in the Big South. We could play 4 OOC games against NE colleges. Whether they are home or away games they would still be NE games. Half of our league games would be home games. One of our league games would be against SBU, so it would also be in the NE.

That only leaves maybe 3 road games to the South. We've taken at least 1 road trip a year as it is (Georgia Southern, Montana etc). That would mean only playing 2 or 3 more games outside the region out of a 10 game schedule.

For playing a lousy 3 games in the South, UA would be able to go full schollie and begin scheduling an occasional FBS money game. The NEC may have a AQ for the playoffs but what good is it if we are only playing with 30+ schollies. One and out?

Are you saying we don't need the money? Are you saying that we couldn't play CCSU anymore? Are you saying 6 or 7 NE games aren't enough? Maybe your saying UA isn't good enough to keep up with their SUNY Center peers? Maybe UA just shouldn't try?

I disagree with all of these assertions.

You're right I guess we could still schedule CCSU and the rest of our friends in the NEC cause the Big South is such a power house conference. I mean they had one team in the top 25 this year and the rest had a combined record of 27-30!!!

Therefore we would have to beef up our schedule because we would not have an AQ like the NEC. We would probably schedule 6 of the Big South teams and then again our usual suspects of UNH, Maine, Hofstra, Montana and an IVY so yeah we would probably lose our game against CCSU and SHU.

Again I find this assertion we need to go Full Scholarship just so we can play an FBS team absurd. You're just proving the point that college football is more or less about making money than winning championships. You're asserting that we cant win without 60 scholarships. Umm....Stony Brook has 60 scholarships and we had a common opponent Hofstra. Final Scores Albany 22 Hofstra 16, Hofstra 43 Stony Brook 3 so please stop with this we need 60 scholarships to win in FCS crap. We also beat Delaware (former Nat'l Champ) a few years ago if you have forgotten about that.

I love FCS football. They have the best way to settle a National Champion, I love the intimacy of the stadiums and they amount of offense that is on display at these games. I hate everything about FBS football. The Money, The SEC, The ACC, Pete Carroll, Tim Tebow ballwashing, the obvious racism in coaching hires, The BCS and ESPN. I want to see Albany as a success in FCS not cannon fodder for the FBS just to make money. I grew up watching UConn in the Yankee conference and loved those games and that's where I want to see Albany in the future. So yeah maybe I don't want us to "keep up" with our SUNY peers because I don't wanna see UA lower itself by whoring itself for FBS football.

If we go Full scholie it should be only if the NEC approves it, or the CAA finally blows up (which it will) and Maine, UNH, URI, UMass, Northeastern and SBU come to their senses.

Where we are right now:

-WE DEFINATELY PLAY CCSU AND SHU

-WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN MARK AS A SUNY CENTER

-WE CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

-WE CAN WIN

-WE DONT NEED THE BIG SOUTH

You may have noticed a pattern forming over the past couple of years. We are competitive in games against UMass, Delaware, UNH, Montana .... but we almost ALWAYS end up on the wrong side of the win - loss columns. We always will end up on the wrong side of the win - loss columns, with 30 scholarships. Plain and simple.

If we make it into the playoffs, we will always be 1 and done.... unless we get lucky and squeek by into another round and lose. There will never be a consistent pattern of making the playoffs and winning games in the playoffs. If that's how you want University of Albany football to be, that's your preference. It's not my preference.

It's not the conference name that's important, it's the conference that offers UAlbany football the chance to maximize our scholarships, which in turn, allows us to compete for the TOP LEVEL FCS recruits in the country. We've got a football guru in Bob Ford. You give him the chance to compete for the top athletes in the country, and he will be successful. You'll never compete for the best or even the mid range athletes by making them pay their own tuition. Never going to happen.

The point is, when discussing playing an FBS team, is the fact that it can help the Athletic Department in funding the football team, and just maybe even help with football facilities at our University. It may help in recruiting. It may help bring more alumni aboard as fans. It may even help bring Capital District residents aboard. It may bring in more Donations to the football program.

The best way to miss the boat, is to sit back, and hope that something changes in the future. We can hope and pray, and maybe something will happen. The CAA may just break up in a few years, or maybe 5, or maybe 10...... but guess what, even if the CAA makes some kind of change in 10 years, there's no guarantee that UAlbany will be included in anything.

As for the NEC, it will never go full scholly. Anyone who believes so is a dreamer. It will never happen with the schools involved.

Anyone want to wait 10 - 15 - 20 years for Maine, UNH, URI, UMass, Northeastern and SBU to come to their senses?

Anyone care if we play CCSU or SHU? I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I really believe that the AQ for the NEC may be one of the worst things to happen for UA football. It just makes it that much easier for the people at the top to keep the status quo. What we truly require is leadership at the top to make bold decisions. Leave the shadow of SUNY in much the same way that UB did it. We are becoming a second class school compared to UB. I don't fault them for it, I fault UA. Always taking the cheap way out. Basketball and Lacrosse are cheap sports to upgrade to D1 but even in basketball's best season the highest they can aspire to is probably a 15th seed in the tournament and maybe a once in a decade upset in the NCAA's. Lacrosse has a chance to be better than average, but let's be honest, lacrosse continues to be such a fringe sport that only 7 teams have won the championship in the last 38 years. So outside of a small percentage of potential students and alumni does it really upgrade the image of the University nationally? What does this have to do with UA football? I just think that a jump to the Big South really seems like another stop gap response. The schools in that conference don't share much in common with UA, the travel costs WILL be an issue and I just don't think that playing in one FBS money game a year really offsets anything. What are we talking about here, maybe a payday of 150k? We aren't going to get any big payday anytime soon. And truthfully I don't want to be associated with the schools in the Big South. I want us to be associated with the likes of UMASS, URI, DELAWARE, MAINE, etc. We are just in a bad position because we waited too long to get into Div 1. I hate to admit defeat but until UA gets its act together and hires a President with a vision and gets some $ to back it up I think that we will stay where we are with our limited national exposure and our second class status. I want to make a move but I want it to be the right move and to have all of the University and the local community behind it because that is the only way that we can become what all of us on this board know we can become.

Again I find this assertion we need to go Full Scholarship just so we can play an FBS team absurd.

If we don't have 57 scholarships the FBS teams won't schedule us because we wouldn't be a counter toward the six wins they need for bowl qualification. (yes CCSU played Western Mich. last year but that's extremely rare). The only FBS schools who would, would be the ones so bad they have no hope of making a bowl anyway.

You are entitled to your opinion 'WCDBvoiceofUA'. We've addressed all your questions and concerns about the Big South.

Previous complaints

1) You complained we couldn't play CCSU. In deed we could continue. There is nothing stopping us from scheduling CCSU.

2) You complained that we would mostly be playing in the South. Wrong. Most of our games would be in the NE.

--NE (3 league home games + 4 NE OOC + 1 @ SBU) = 8. Southern (2 road games). = 10 games total

--We already play at least 1 road game a year.

3) You complained that the number of scholarships don't matter and pointed to one game at Hofstra. Cinderella's do get to go to the ball occasionally. Not often. Stony Brook and the Big South are ramping up. There is a reason Coach Ford won't play games at SBU. Another fact that says scholarships matter. FBS vs FCS games have the FBS team winning 90%+ of the time.

4) You complained that we can win in the payoffs with 30 schollies. No way. New Hampshire is knocking off Northwestern. You think we can beat Northwestern?

Your new complaints.

1) FBS is racist? Tell that to Turner Gill of Sunny Buffalo. Patently untrue. Anyway, we can hire a purple coach if that makes you feel better

2) Keeping up with the SUNY Centers doesn't matter? I have to believe that we want to be competitive. I refuse to believe we're quitters. I refuse to believe that the UA community is willing to say Bingo, SBU and SUNY Buffalo are better then us. I'm not as quitter. You might be.

3) Partial scholarship football is so much better than moving up? Ask the UA student body if moving from D3 to D1 was a mistake. Ask Sunny Buffalo if they are upset about moving up to FBS. There aren't many takers anymore.

4) You hate Tim Tebow. I have to agree. You have every right.

Georgia Tech should be our model. Academic top 30 school in the country.., same list sunny buffalo came in at 121 was it?

Be a winner!

You are entitled to your opinion 'WCDBvoiceofUA'. We've addressed all your questions and concerns about the Big South.

Previous complaints

1) You complained we couldn't play CCSU. In deed we could continue. There is nothing stopping us from scheduling CCSU.

2) You complained that we would mostly be playing in the South. Wrong. Most of our games would be in the NE.

--NE (3 league home games + 4 NE OOC + 1 @ SBU) = 8. Southern (2 road games). = 10 games total

3) You complained that the number of scholarships don't matter and pointed to one game at Hofstra. Cinderella's do get to go to the ball occasionally. Not often. Stony Brook and the Big South are ramping up. There is a reason Coach Ford won't play games at SBU. Another fact that says scholarships matter. FBS vs FCS games have the FBS team winning 90%+ of the time.

4) You complained that we can win in the payoffs with 30 schollies. No way. New Hampshire is knocking off Northwestern. You think we can beat Northwestern?

Your new complaints.

1) FBS is racist? Tell that to Turner Gill of Sunny Buffalo. Patently untrue. Anyway, we can hire a purple coach if that makes you feel better

2) Keeping up with the SUNY Centers doesn't matter? I have to believe that we want to be competitive. I refuse to believe we're quitters. I refuse to believe that the UA community is willing to say Bingo, SBU and SUNY Buffalo are better then us. I'm not as quitter. You might be.

3) Partial scholarship football is so much better than moving up? Ask the UA student body if moving from D3 to D1 was a mistake. Ask Sunny Buffalo if they are upset about moving up to FBS. There aren't many takers anymore.

Georgia Tech should be our model. Academic top 30 school in the country.., same list sunny buffalo came in at 121 was it?

Be a winner!

I want UAlbany to be itself. I believe I said we are better than Stony Brook. Just because Bingo does something or Buffalo does something doesn't mean we have to. If we keep in lock step then everyone nationwide will continue to view us a just a SUNY.

I was a student during the transition and I don't believe it is a mistake at all. My assertion is that the Student Body won't give a crap about us going Big South and going full scholarship. Football is just not a big sport amongst the student body. I was at every home game from 01 until 04 (and called them on the radio hence the board handle) and during that time they won the Gridiron Classic. Most I ever saw at a game was maybe 3,000. There could have been more since then but I doubt it was more than 4,000. The only way students get excited about the teams is if they see them on ESPN (bball and LAX). Which is a sad but its the truth. If you want them to become excited about football we need some sort of national exposure and the best and most assured way is to at least get in the tournament via the AQ from the NEC where the potential exists for an ESPN game.

I must say I'm disappointed with everyone's position on the board that we can't win games in the tournament at the present level. After all we have seen we still have such a lack of faith in the football team. One non-scholarship team has made the championship in the last 10 years and that was COLGATE in 2003 who had a record of 15-1 and beat our beloved BUFFALO.

I didn't think Id be mocked for the CCSU and SHU comments. I like going and supporting UAlbany. Sorry. We are dealing in hypotheticals on the schedule but like I said before the Big South isnt all that stronger than the NEC so we would still have to beef up the OOC schedule to make a case for the playoff since there is no AQ out of the Big South. Therefore some of our NEC friend would probably get lost in the shuffle.

I would love to see Albany go fully scholarship but I want it done the right way. Let's just take a deep breath and see how this AQ goes. I guess its just frustrating considering back when I was at CDB we we're complaining we didnt get a bid to the tournament and now that we finally have the opportunity we all of a sudden want to move and give that up. If there was to be some sort of coming together of the Big South and NEC with the AQ thrown in then I would be in favor of it but at its present status I wouldn't. You never know what can happen on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.

Previous complaints

Your new complaints.

Be a winner!

I want UAlbany to be itself. I believe I said we are better than Stony Brook. Just because Bingo does something or Buffalo does something doesn't mean we have to. If we keep in lock step then everyone nationwide will continue to view us a just a SUNY.

I was a student during the transition and I don't believe it is a mistake at all. My assertion is that the Student Body won't give a crap about us going Big South and going full scholarship. Football is just not a big sport amongst the student body. I was at every home game from 01 until 04 (and called them on the radio hence the board handle) and during that time they won the Gridiron Classic. Most I ever saw at a game was maybe 3,000. There could have been more since then but I doubt it was more than 4,000. The only way students get excited about the teams is if they see them on ESPN (bball and LAX). Which is a sad but its the truth. If you want them to become excited about football we need some sort of national exposure and the best and most assured way is to at least get in the tournament via the AQ from the NEC where the potential exists for an ESPN game.

I must say I'm disappointed with everyone's position on the board that we can't win games in the tournament at the present level. After all we have seen we still have such a lack of faith in the football team. One non-scholarship team has made the championship in the last 10 years and that was COLGATE in 2003 who had a record of 15-1 and beat our beloved BUFFALO.

I didn't think Id be mocked for the CCSU and SHU comments. I like going and supporting UAlbany. Sorry. We are dealing in hypotheticals on the schedule but like I said before the Big South isnt all that stronger than the NEC so we would still have to beef up the OOC schedule to make a case for the playoff since there is no AQ out of the Big South. Therefore some of our NEC friend would probably get lost in the shuffle.

I would love to see Albany go fully scholarship but I want it done the right way. Let's just take a deep breath and see how this AQ goes. I guess its just frustrating considering back when I was at CDB we we're complaining we didnt get a bid to the tournament and now that we finally have the opportunity we all of a sudden want to move and give that up. If there was to be some sort of coming together of the Big South and NEC with the AQ thrown in then I would be in favor of it but at its present status I wouldn't. You never know what can happen on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.

I really think your perception of the NEC is not realistic.

Colgate made the national championship in 2003 - yes - but they are not non-scholarship. The offer the equivalent of 55 scholarships. They have a budget that exceeds many full scholarship FCS teams.

And Stony Brook wasn't great this year - sure. But how long is that going to last? They are a young team and they have a freshman running back (Eddie Gowens) who was the FCS rookie of the year (9+ yards per carry!). The kid is a product of full-scholarship football and their team will be better in the very near future.

Your sentiment is obviously shared by many people or else Albany likely wouldn't be in the position is it - no man's land.

And there's an elephant in UAlbany's room that it doesn't appear anyone is considering - What happens when Ford retires? The ONLY reason a LARGE PERCENTAGE of kids come to play at Albany and coaches come to coach here is because of Coach Ford. He's a legend and an unbelievable coach. He's also 70 years old. How long do you think he'll stick around? I hope at least 5 years - but do we really know? And then what?

Moving to full scholarship is, in my mind, a way to begin building something that can live beyond Coach Ford. I have a hard time believing that anyone can do what he has done with what the University gives him.

Found the Sports Network article. Feel like an ass. Sorry. I thought they had denied it to them cause I though I remembered laughing at Stony Brook about something. Easy to forget I guess.

I still would like to see how things go first rather than diving in as soon as. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Anyone know how our Title IX ratio is. If we have to add more women's sports that could also be another financial stumbling block into some renovations or new constructions on football (and other sports) facilities that we desperately need.

Still think we need to view this Big South thing with a little trepidation.

Archived