UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Seriously Binghamton??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on UMBC, do it for Ronkonkoma

HA! My new battle cry as well.

DO IT FOR RONKONKOMA! :D

haha see artie lange on letterman last week?

:D Funniest appearance by anyone on Letterman in a long time.

Sorry back on topic ....

I'm not so sure I agree with how the coaches handled the voting. The kid isn't the problem - Broadus is the problem. The kid produced on the court playing the hand he was dealt. Can't fault him for that, can you?

This year's Bing recruiting class contained two guys who were suspended or dismissed at previous schools for academics, one that was dismissed for undisclosed reasons (and later arrested for shoplifting at Bing) and one who was thrown off his previous team for drug possession.

One thing I was trying to imagine was how we (Albany fans) would have reacted if Coach Brown had brought in this type of class. Are we that hungry for a championship that we'd say "wow, those are some great players!" or would ask what the heck is going on here? I'd like to think the later.

It's the thing that puzzles me about (some) of the Bing alums that were at the game. They seem pretty much unfazed about the whole thing. I understand the students who would root for Charles Manson if he had a good crossover, but I really have to wonder if there aren't Bing alums who have some misgivings. Even with this recent success.

This year's Bing recruiting class contained two guys who were suspended or dismissed at previous schools for academics, one that was dismissed for undisclosed reasons (and later arrested for shoplifting at Bing) and one who was thrown off his previous team for drug possession.

One thing I was trying to imagine was how we (Albany fans) would have reacted if Coach Brown had brought in this type of class. Are we that hungry for a championship that we'd say "wow, those are some great players!" or would ask what the heck is going on here? I'd like to think the later.

It's the thing that puzzles me about (some) of the Bing alums that were at the game. They seem pretty much unfazed about the whole thing. I understand the students who would root for Charles Manson if he had a good crossover, but I really have to wonder if there aren't Bing alums who have some misgivings. Even with this recent success.

I don't know...I tend to think allot of them are simply not aware of whats going on what baggage these guys came with.

I don't know...I tend to think allot of them are simply not aware of whats going on what baggage these guys came with.

I think you're probably correct bosiydid..there were a number of Binghamton fans around me during the tournament who were not aware of some of their players' pasts..including Malik Alvin's Wal-Mart incident.

Two thoughts:

1. There has always been confusion on the AE Forum about the BUs. There really isn't since there is BU as in Boston University and there is BUTT as in Binghamton University of Thugs and Thieves.

@. With regard to the oft Bing fan reference to UA as "Safety School", let's see, Mayben can't make the grade at his old high school and gets kicked out, can't meet the academic threshhold for Syracuse (not exactly noted for selectivity when it comes to the intellect of basketball recruits), and can't hack the academics at UMass. Still he is making the grade at BUTT. I guess that makes BUTT the safety school for guys that can't make it at any of the aforementioned schools.

Two thoughts:

1. There has always been confusion on the AE Forum about the BUs. There really isn't since there is BU as in Boston University and there is BUTT as in Binghamton University of Thugs and Thieves.

@. With regard to the oft Bing fan reference to UA as "Safety School", let's see, Mayben can't make the grade at his old high school and gets kicked out, can't meet the academic threshhold for Syracuse (not exactly noted for selectivity when it comes to the intellect of basketball recruits), and can't hack the academics at UMass. Still he is making the grade at BUTT. I guess that makes BUTT the safety school for guys that can't make it at any of the aforementioned schools.

Thank you for #2....I haven't really thought of it like that. Next time someone calls UA a safety school I just might have to break that one out!

Two thoughts:

Mayben barely made it at HVCC

You tend to write allot a lot, why is that? friendly j/k ;)

I agree. I know some other people posted this but the people around me really had no idea of the background of theses guys. One Bing alum asked me questions of why I was rooting against them and I filled him in. And he was like okay. Just 'okay' as if he didn't care or wasn't informed of it. There was also a Bing alum sitting behind me who also asked me why I was cheering against them as well. He said he didn't follow the team but was a Bing alum living in Albany and wanted to check out the game. I filled him in on the circumstances and he said he didn't know any of it until very recently when he read it in the Times. He didn't realize it was that bad until I gave him more info than the article had written about. He left half way through the game..was nice to see lol.

I think the NY Times article was great in getting out info to people who don't live in the area or follow the AE. Some people may say it was biased and didn't have all the facts straight, but I think it gets the general idea out there which people need to be aware of. The school is in the AE not any huge conference w/ players going to the NBA. Rolls eyes... I guess it will only take time before someone is seriously hurt.. (well as I write this I think of the Serbian player and his actions..so that makes my statement pointless)..I guess it won't take violence for people to understand. Shrugs....

I guess we can just support our Danes and the great choices CB and his staff have made, and be happy that they don't want to go down the road Binghamton is traveling.

eh- I cant really begrudge Bing fans for not really caring about the character of the players on their team. Bottom line is that they are on the cusp of making their first NCAA appearance, which brings tons of national exposure and pride. That trumps everything else for most people.

I'm glad we can hang our hats on a classy program, but if we had a couple of thugs on our team during our TWO NCAA appearances, I probably wouldnt care *too* much. Just sayin'.

anyway....GO UMBC! :)

Is it me or does Kevin Broadus seem like he is doing everything possible to win now and move on to another school?

If so wouldn't KB departure put Binghamton in a very large hole for the future?

I think they'd be better off without him. Perhaps they'd lose a few years, but college athletics at this level isn't about winning if you aren't winning the right way.

College sports at this level cost every single school millions of dollars a year. Its a pretty poor investment to "mortgage" your credibility for a 14-16 seed. Do it the right way or don't do it at all.

Is it me or does Kevin Broadus seem like he is doing everything possible to win now and move on to another school?

If so wouldn't KB departure put Binghamton in a very large hole for the future?

I think they'd be better off without him. Perhaps they'd lose a few years, but college athletics at this level isn't about winning if you aren't winning the right way.

College sports at this level cost every single school millions of dollars a year. Its a pretty poor investment to "mortgage" your credibility for a 14-16 seed. Do it the right way or don't do it at all.

. . . With regard to the oft Bing fan reference to UA as "Safety School", let's see, Mayben can't make the grade at his old high school and gets kicked out, can't meet the academic threshhold for Syracuse (not exactly noted for selectivity when it comes to the intellect of basketball recruits), and can't hack the academics at UMass. Still he is making the grade at BUTT. I guess that makes BUTT the safety school for guys that can't make it at any of the aforementioned schools.

I'm really glad I'm associated with UA and not BUNY. In regard to their claim of academic superiority and general cockiness, what are the chances of your being pummeled almost to death by a UA men's basketball player? What are the chances that someone else from the team will knock you down while you're shopping at a local store? And what percentage of possibility that a UA coach will punch you after a game at SEFCU? After the foregoing incidents at another SUNY institution, I really appreciate being called a "safety school."

Archived