UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Overall UA 09-10 State Budget

MRSGDG

Discussion for the school's overall budget, including the different school's and programs within the University.. not just athletics :) Saw this article today.

SUNY cuts pinch UAlbany, others

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...category=REGION

That reduction is what I saw somewhere else recently as well.

I believe that these budget numbers (correct me if I'm wrong) do not include capital expenditures (e.g. stadium funding).

On another note - there are 30 day amendments proposed to the Executive Budget that would increase SUNY centers autonomy, in line with that the Commission on Higher Ed recomended last year. For one, removing SUNY from the bidding process required for other states agencies and also allowing SUNY schools to establish differential tuition rates for non-resident students.

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...blications.html

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like the budget has been agreed upon although not yet voted on...here is the link I found NYS Budget... I'll try to take a look at it tonight to see if I can glean anything from it regarding the Athletic Complex.......

Don't have much hope that we got anything but you never know.

Not sure I'm looking at this year's budget or last's but nonetheless; I don't like what I see. I searched for "Stadium" and came up with hits for

--Geneseo

--Stony Brook

--Buffalo State

--Stony Brook South Hampton (Now Stony Brook has stadiums on both campuses?)

UAlbany and the Capitol District must have 0 support in government.

I looked through the capital projects for the State University of New York and I can't find anything listing a stadium. Hell, I don't even see any money allocated to improve anything athletically. Stony Brook and UB are getting a lot of money. Stony Brook even is getting money to do a monorail feasibility study.

Stony Brook and UB are getting a lot of money. Stony Brook even is getting money to do a monorail feasibility study.

A lot of money towards athletics or other things?

Stony Brook

Stony Brook, incl Health Science Center (HSC)

Construct Student Recreation

Center - Phase II ................. 18,000

Construct Computer Science

Building ......................... 40,800

Monorail Feasibility Study ....... 5,000

Southampton-Student Center

Addition ......................... 7,500

Construct Marine Science Bldg -

Southampton ...................... 6,900

Long Island State Veteran's

Home .............................. 5,000

Center of Excellence for

Alzheimer's Disease/Equipment .... 2,000

CPEP Unit ........................ 3,000

Planning of Stony Brook Law

School ........................... 250

Stadium Expansion .................. 2,700

Stony Brook Law School Project .... 45,000

University/Basketball Arena ....... 12,300

Albany

Construct Business School ........ 54,000

Campus Center Expansion/

Improvements ..................... 30,000

Campus Revitalization/Site

Improvements, Phase II ............ 5,000

Buffalo

UB Gateway & Urban Technology

Incubator Phases I, II, III

Downtown........................... 32,000

Construct Clinical/Transitional

Research Facility - Ph III ....... 100,000

UB Gateway, Phase IV ............ 6,000

Wow! $45 Million for Stony Brook's law school. That isn't a feasibility study. That's bought and paid for.

As the seat of power, it's ironic that the Capitol Region is treated so badly. This state's hatred for it's capitol spills over onto anything "Albany". That's why I've always said we should drop that word and go with a name that includes New York. Florida and Texas has a ton of examples.

People can argue that the "flagship" issue is dead but I say "add up the funding". Look at Stony Brook and Buffalo and then look at Bingo and UA. There you go.

Most of the major ticket items are reappropriations from past years.

I'm looking now to see if I can find only the new stuff (if any).

And you have to compare apples to apples here. Compare funding per student, not total funding. UB and SBU have larger enrollments so you naturally think they would get more funding. However, in year's past the funding per student has been unproportionally in favor of UB and SBU.

And you have to compare apples to apples here. Compare funding per student, not total funding. UB and SBU have larger enrollments so you naturally think they would get more funding. However, in year's past the funding per student has been unproportionally in favor of UB and SBU.

The only new capital project I found for UAlbany was this

PROJECT AMOUNT

----------------------------------------------------------

(thousands of dollars)

Albany

Campus-wide projects, including Renovate

Health Center .......................... 33,927

I think this is phase 2 of the five year critical maintenance plan ---- maybe UA could sneakl in upgrades to University Field, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of a new "multi-purpose" stadium :-(

The only new capital project I found for UAlbany was this

PROJECT AMOUNT

----------------------------------------------------------

(thousands of dollars)

Albany

Campus-wide projects, including Renovate

Health Center .......................... 33,927

I think this is phase 2 of the five year critical maintenance plan ---- maybe UA could sneakl in upgrades to University Field, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of a new "multi-purpose" stadium :-(

There is actually some hope here:

This is the description of the health center rehab from the Draft Environmental Impact study:

In 2008, the University’s Student Health Center and Counseling Center relocated from being housed, on-campus, in Building 25, to a new state-of-the-art medical building at 400 Patroon Creek (across Washington Avenue opposite the Harriman State Campus). This location is across the street from the University, approximately one mile east of the Washington Avenue entrance. Building 25 is located in the western portion of the campus and, with the relocation of the Health Center services, the building is under consideration for renovation and alternate use(s). The University is studying potential uses in the context of overall campus space and program needs.

The building (and the site) is a candidate for the relocation of the Data Center. In the near term, however, minor renovations will progress to meet urgent campus office and surge space needs related to functions displaced from other portions of the campus. Should the Data Center option not be deemed viable, the building, instead, will be renovated to alter room sizes and functions, transforming the former health center to perhaps office space; asbestos will be removed so that other renovation activities can take place. The cost for this project has not yet been determined. Construction could begin in summer 2011.

Does that sounds like a $34 million project to you?

I hope they take $10 million and renovate university field. A renovation is a lot more justifiable in this economy than a pipe-dream stadium.

The athletic items for listed under UB for '09-'10 were past years. Arena bleacher and pool repairs and re-surfaced tennis courts were completed in the last 12-18 months. So nothing new athletically from public funds. The only new builds for UB in this budget are a new engineering building beginning soon and a large chunk of money for the UB Gateway and medical research facility already posted earlier. A large amount is listed for renovation of a building for the School a Pharmacy, but that has been on-going.

I saw re-appropriations for the UAlbany East campus Center for Alzheimer's Research ($42M) and an East Campus Development Corp. ($10M). Are these new or past funding?

On differences in campus funding, it is clear UB and SBU would receive the largest re-appropriations based on the size of the physical plants. Much of the funding is for repairs and renovations. UB has nearly 250 buildings on 1400 acres of 3 campuses, with more pre-1950 buildings than any Center on the South Campus. SBU has around 200 buildings on 1300 acres. UAlbany and BU don't have nearly the same physical plant.

The athletic items for listed under UB for '09-'10 were past years. Arena bleacher and pool repairs and re-surfaced tennis courts were completed in the last 12-18 months. So nothing new athletically from public funds. The only new builds for UB in this budget are a new engineering building beginning soon and a large chunk of money for the UB Gateway and medical research facility already posted earlier. A large amount is listed for renovation of a building for the School a Pharmacy, but that has been on-going.

I saw re-appropriations for the UAlbany East campus Center for Alzheimer's Research ($42M) and an East Campus Development Corp. ($10M). Are these new or past funding?

On differences in campus funding, it is clear UB and SBU would receive the largest re-appropriations based on the size of the physical plants. Much of the funding is for repairs and renovations. UB has nearly 250 buildings on 1400 acres of 3 campuses, with more pre-1950 buildings than any Center on the South Campus. SBU has around 200 buildings on 1300 acres. UAlbany and BU don't have nearly the same physical plant.

The projects for the east campus are from last year.

And like I said above, funding has to be looked at on a per-student basis. All 4 SUNY centers should receive equal funding on a per-student basis. If one school is able to operate with less physical plant overhead cost, then that school should have the ability to reallocate its funding as it sees fit.

Archived