UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Doesn't it s*ck to be SUNY

Classof72/74

Why is that a bad article?

We're denying kids that private schools (that tend to think of themselves as more exclusive) are not.

That's a positive to me.

10% acceptance rate is great for SUNY schools.

I agree. This is a very positive story.

The fact is most SUNY campuses are far and away more desired than most private schools. 22,000 applied for 2,250 slots at UA!!! That's a 10 to 1 ratio. The state school has been and is the toughest (or one of the toughest) schools to get into in most states. UNC, UCLA, (Any UC Campus) Michigan, Texas etc. It's finally catching up to New York.

Its a great day to be a Great Dane!

We're denying kids that private schools (that tend to think of themselves as more exclusive) are not.

That's a positive to me.

The fact is most SUNY campuses are far and away more desired than most private schools. 22,000 applied for 2,250 slots at UA!!! That's a 10 to 1 ratio. The state school has been and is the toughest (or one of the toughest) schools to get into in most states. UNC, UCLA, (Any UC Campus) Michigan, Texas etc. It's finally catching up to New York.

I base my comments on this section of the article

" Still, the SUNY shutout has been a boon for her as she's found that small schools give more personalized attention.

She's about to send in her deposit to Siena, where admissions officials have bent over backward to find her more financial aid. She expects to find the same level of attention in the classrooms. "

Does the TU ALWAYS come out making S**na look good ?

Seems to me like it's a bit of a no win proposition.

- The Sienistas will throw in our face that UA is a safety school and that we'll take just about anyone

when confronted with the facts and how an education at UA is a better value over all we get this kind of article

- It's to hard to get into a state university....and oh, by the way, the attention and "customer service" is better over here anyway.

So what is UA....a difficult demanding school to get into or a safety school?

A long time ago I've come to the realization that the TU will always hype Siena and undercut UA, or at least do us no favors. I look at everything they write about the two schools through the said prism.

Understood - but lets not kid ourselves here. What the TU says about more attention at Siena is true. Did it need to be said like they said it? Probably not, but it is true.

You aren't going to find a 600 student general ed class at Siena like you will at Albany.

That doesn't make the education worse at Albany. Just different.

I completely glazed over that statement originally because I was so elated by the fact that my alma-mater will have an acceptance rate sandwiched in between Yale and Stanford.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....acceptance-rate

That's a positive to me.

I base my comments on this section of the article

" Still, the SUNY shutout has been a boon for her as she's found that small schools give more personalized attention.

She's about to send in her deposit to Siena, where admissions officials have bent over backward to find her more financial aid. She expects to find the same level of attention in the classrooms. "

Does the TU ALWAYS come out making S**na look good ?

I did notice that also. It was unfortunate that they added it. It had nothing to do with the story. The fact remains thousands are being turned away from UAlbany. Their only option is to spend 2 to 3 times more to go to a private school. With the exception the Ivy League, the private school is no longer the exclusive option. It’s the buy your way in... As in “I can't get into the state's top colleges so I'll spend a heck of a lot more for a lower ranked college”.

The fight to get into a state school has been very nasty in California and Texas over the past 20 years. Low price and high amenities = HUGE demand (very selective)

Gee, I thought this thread was going to be about the Craigslist killer in Boston, under the T-U's headline " Murder charges shock UAlbany classmates '', in which they helpfully reveal

"Markoff is the fourth UAlbany student to be charged with murder in the last five years. Steven Figueroa of the Bronx was charged in March 2007 for allegedly stabbing a doorman in Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Erick Westervelt is serving 25 years to life in prison for bludgeoning his ex-girlfriend's new love interest with a hatchet in Delmar in 2004. Mulumba Kazigo, a 26-year-old graduate student, is serving a 20-year sentence for beating his father with a baseball bat and sledgehammer."

Gee, I thought this thread was going to be about the Craigslist killer in Boston, under the T-U's headline " Murder charges shock UAlbany classmates '', in which they helpfully reveal

"Markoff is the fourth UAlbany student to be charged with murder in the last five years. Steven Figueroa of the Bronx was charged in March 2007 for allegedly stabbing a doorman in Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Erick Westervelt is serving 25 years to life in prison for bludgeoning his ex-girlfriend's new love interest with a hatchet in Delmar in 2004. Mulumba Kazigo, a 26-year-old graduate student, is serving a 20-year sentence for beating his father with a baseball bat and sledgehammer."

Me too. The thing is, that line about the other 4 students came from the ASP blog. Self-perpetuating this type of reporting I guess.

Just a quick FYI..that does not indicate a 10% acceptance rate..if there are only 2250 available spots, the admissions office will accept a total much higher than that..that's because the majority of accepted students will not enroll..think of the average student whos sends out 8-10 applications then is accepted by 3-5 but then obviously only enrolls in 1 of those..admissions offices have formulas to estimate how many accepted students will actually enroll.

But while we're not quite to Stanford/Yale figures, this will definitely improve our numbers!

Just a quick FYI..that does not indicate a 10% acceptance rate..if there are only 2250 available spots, the admissions office will accept a total much higher than that..that's because the majority of accepted students will not enroll..think of the average student whos sends out 8-10 applications then is accepted by 3-5 but then obviously only enrolls in 1 of those..admissions offices have formulas to estimate how many accepted students will actually enroll.

But while we're not quite to Stanford/Yale figures, this will definitely improve our numbers!

Thanks - that makes more sense.

I thought I'd throw my stone into the pond of collegiate reality.

UAlbany is a REAL institution of higher learning.

The only newspaper in Albany and the arena it holds the naming rights for....

needs to support its resident basketball team, and thus, its college.

It's a small minded mentality if its goal is to neglect the MAJOR universities in the area.

If one wants an excellent, nationally ranked education and is intelligent enough NOT to go into $120k in debt for a college education, one chooses UAlbany.

Keep in mind, these figures were compiled a year or two ago.

UAlbany

Since: 1844

Undergraduates: 12000

Grad students: 5000

Faculty: 940

Campus: 3

Colleges and Schools: 10

Degree programs: 56

Minors: 59

Acres: 560

Economic Impact on Albany: 2 billion annually

Siena

Since: 1937

Undergraduates: 2900

Grad students: 153

Faculty: 192

Campus: 1

Colleges and Schools: 3

Degree programs: 28

Minors: 46

Acres: 160

Economic Impact on Albany: Low

UAlbany Top 25 Program Rankings and sources:

* Nanoscience and Engineering - #1 overall, ahead of Cornell (#2), Michigan-Ann Arbor (#3), Rice (#4), University of Pennsylvania (#5), and Virginia (#6).[4]

* Chronicles of Higher Education ranks the doctoral programs in criminal justice, educational administration, and social welfare in their "Top 10" list nationally in their respective disciplines. According to The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, it is a Public Ivy.

*Criminal Justice - #2 (US News 2006)

*Educational Administration - #7 (Academic Analytics 2006)

*Social Welfare - #5 (Academic Analytics 2006)

*Public Policy - #10 (US News 2005)

*Information Technology and Management - #4 (US News 2006)

*Educational and Counseling Psychology - #13 (US News 2006)

*Africana Studies - #3 (Black Issues in Higher Education July 2004)

*Public Administration and Management - #6 (US News 2006)

*Public Finance and Budgeting - #9 (US News 2006)

*Public Policy Analysis - #25 (US News 2006)

*Library Science - #15 (US News 2006)

*Atmospheric Sciences: ranked in the first quartile of NSF rankings in total federal R&D expenditures.

Siena: Top 25 Program Rankings and sources:

None.

UAlbany Research:

Nanoscience and Engineering

Gen*NY*Sis Center for Excellence in Cancer Genomics

Geographic Information System, Remote Sensing Laboratory

Atmospheric Sciences Research Center

Hindelang Criminal Justice Research Center

Institute of Biomolecular Stereodynamics

Institute of Gerontology

Lewis Mumford Center for Comparative Urban and Regional Research

New York State Writers Institute

Northeast Regional Forensic Institute

Ion Beam Laboratory

Institute for Social Services Research and Development

Institute for Research on Women

Center for X - Ray Optics

Albany Institute for Research in Education

Center for Applied Historical Research

Center for Autism and Related Disabilities

Center for Economic Research

Center for Biochemistry and Biophysics

Center for Excellence in Nanoelectronics

Center for Functional Genomics

Center for Neuroscience Research

Center for Policy Research

Child Research and Study Center

Etc............

Siena Research:

Conducts surveys on business, economic, political, voter, social, academic and historical issues.

UAlbany Libraries: - 3 Libraries

Science, Dewey, and University Libraries. They provide over two million volumes and rank among the nation's top one hundred research libraries.

Siena libraries: 1 Basic.

UAlbany Athletics:

Entry into DI athletics: 1999/2000

Number of years in DI: 8 years

Men's Basketball NCAA tournament appearances in 7 years: 2

Sports hosting NCAA Division I tournament rounds: Volleyball, Men's Lacrosse

Teams ranked in top 2 Nationally within this year: 1

Teams ranked in top 15 Nationally within this year: 2

# of men's programs: 8

# of women's programs: 11

Football Championships in 7 years: 3

Since 2001:

Conference championships - 27

NCAA Tournaments - 14

Siena Athletics:

Entry into DI athletics: 1976

Number of years in DI: 31 years

Men's Basketball NCAA tournament appearances in 31 years: 3

Sports hosting NCAA tournament rounds: none

Teams ranked in top 2 Nationally within this year: 0

Teams ranked in top 15 Nationally within this year: 0

# of men's programs: 7

# of women's programs: 11

Football Championships: No program / dropped program

Since 2002:

Conference championships - golf, volleyball 2

NCAA Tournaments - 2 men's basketball, 2 vb

Not sure where you got your figures, but Siena's web site says they have 192 full-time faculty (I thought 85 was awful low) and it's probably not fair to say their economic impact is 'non-existent' - even not counting buses carrying underage students to downtown bars.

Archived