UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Let's face it, there is a slew of things that can determine a successful season.

Got to be running on all cylinders to compete in the CAA.

Let's not forget we had a virgin O line. Without a stout O line, an offense is $iena.

We lost Hanks, arguably the best player in the FCS, certainly was the best player on UA.

How many injuries did we have to tight ends and wide receivers this past season?

We had two overtime losses, and another 2 point loss.

Still think this coming season is a tell all. We could have waited to renew the contract,

but on the bright side, the coaching staff doesn't have the stress of worrying about their future.

What's done, is done. Let's hope for a kick ass season.

What's done is done as you said...no choice but to hope for the best. My position is pretty clear but I wish GG all the luck in the world. I don't have anything against him personally I just think the program is not in a good place right now and I don't know if he can turn it around considering his results to date. Hopefully he proves me wrong...we have a half a decade to find out.

As for doing some research...here's some research for you. Not looking to far out but looking at other CAA affiliate members and peer institutions in the AE. Maine and UNH joined the CAA in 2007. Throwing away each teams inaugural season (Fords first year)...year 2-5 records.

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

4 year in conference winning %

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

By contrast, a coach that has 4 full years under his belt has a winning % of 34% and a record of 11-21 and we are being told but it's so hard...other programs struggle making this move. <- this isn't even true...

Again, I'm not asking for him to be fired, I just don't understand why there was a rush to extend a coach and commit another 900k or more to him when he had multiple years left on his contract.

Not comparable. Maine and UNH had been in the A-10, the same league, the CAA just took over management. Stony Brook had a head start by going to the. Big South a full scholarship league before moving to the CAA. But some startups like Kennesaw seem to have moved right past us
  • Like 1

As for doing some research...here's some research for you. Not looking to far out but looking at other CAA affiliate members and peer institutions in the AE. Maine and UNH joined the CAA in 2007. Throwing away each teams inaugural season (Fords first year)...year 2-5 records.

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

By contrast, a coach that has 4 full years under his belt has a winning % of 34% and a record of 11-21 and we are being told but it's so hard...other programs struggle making this move. <- this isn't even true...

Again, I'm not asking for him to be fired, I just don't understand why there was a rush to extend a coach and commit another 900k or more to him when he had multiple years left on his contract.

Not comparable. Maine and UNH had been in the A-10, the same league, the CAA just took over management. Stony Brook had a head start by going to the. Big South a full scholarship league before moving to the CAA. But some startups like Kennesaw seem to have moved right past us

Fair enough, it predates me a bit as a fan, the CAA history. Who was the last team to truly step into the CAA or comparable conferences? Curious how they did. I pulled that info based on CAA information available on the web and didn't realize that they were transplants already at full scholarship from the A10.

Edited by Clickclack

With the states five year contract rule, I am not sure if GG had this year and next left on his contract. Maybe it had something to do with a December signing post dated January?? But either way i still do not see the RUSH on the resigning/extension. If they did it because of a concern/an abundance of confidence in this years class, tell the TRUTH and say so. But to say they are rewarding GG for the "great job" he has done, does NOT add up in any way or form.

I have argued in the past (at least in my opinion) the jump to the caa was just that; a move up, but NOT a leap across oceans or a leap of Faith aka "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail." My God some of you make it sound like we were competing with DIII athletes in the NFL; and NOT given a new stadium, a lot more scholarships, 10 million $s and a new GDAC. I do not think it was such a gargantuan task given to GG and even if it was/is he has NOT shown me, that he is capable of living up to it. I for one say "What's the Rush Tell me what's Happening"{loosely quoted from 'Jesus Christ Superstar.'} No one is asking for GG to be a Super Star, but the job he has/is done is suspect; especially with staff and how they are used. The kids he put on the field and how they performed, right or wrong ultimately is on him.

Lastly, Hof, I too have never played college sports; but I watched Bob Ford from his first club game to many "leaps" of leagues/divisions/etc. Even without being a player, one does learn a thing or two over the years. Bob Ford built and LEFT a legacy and I never say anyone is wrong on this blog, but in this instance you are wrong, if you doubt or hint that Bob Ford did in any way not turn UA football over to GG ready for the next LEAP. Even the only good qb in the GG years was a Ford recruit and a kid GG said he had doubts about.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2

One could look at this from the other side of the equation. He had two seasons with 7 wins and should of made the NCAA Playoffs two years ago but got screwed over by the committee. He did it with NEC level players. Oh and he beat an FBS team. UB is awful but they still give out 85 free rides. if Hanks was ready to go last year we would of won 6 games even without any talent at QB. We were in all of the games with the exception of (cant believe I am going to say this) ...Rhode Island and they quit in the second half of the Delaware game. That was my final straw last season. Maybe he is a great coach to win as much as he did with NEC players for 2 out of 4 season?

That was then, this is now. I don't believe the situation is as dire as some here believe.We need a QB no question. I believe he will get this thing going in the right direction THIS SEASON, not next. We have a very good D, Hanks should be ready to go and we just need some production out of the QB.

PS the loss to Elon 6-0 and Maine 12-10 was a disgrace

Edited by MRuler 79

Perhaps...which is why we should have waited till the end of this season to make that decision. What if we only win 2-3 games this year? Then what? Where will we place the blame then? "Oh, just one of those years"? Too late. You're tied up with the HC for another 3 years now (after this year).

You can always fire a coach if need be and pay him out, who cares. The contract may stipulate he doesn't get paid out if he is fired or loses money if he doesn't win a certain amount of games or makes the NCAA tournament. Until you know the terms of the contract we shouldn't worry. its not like its our money that's paying him, its the University's (I know taxes...take it up with Cuomo). Contracts or handshakes mean nothing in sports(see that moron Josh McDaniels). I would be more concerned with how far a firing would set back the program.

I imagine if we don't make the NCAA tournament in the next year or two then there would be something to bitch about

Edited by MRuler 79
  • Like 1

Perhaps...which is why we should have waited till the end of this season to make that decision. What if we only win 2-3 games this year? Then what? Where will we place the blame then? "Oh, just one of those years"? Too late. You're tied up with the HC for another 3 years now (after this year).

4 years after this year....

You can always fire a coach if need be and pay him out, who cares. The contract may stipulate he doesn't get paid out if he is fired or loses money if he doesn't win a certain amount of games or makes the NCAA tournament. Until you know the terms of the contract we shouldn't worry. its not like its our money that's paying him, its the University's (I know taxes...take it up with Cuomo). Contracts or handshakes mean nothing in sports(see that moron Josh McDaniels). I would be more concerned with how far a firing would set back the program.

I imagine if we don't make the NCAA tournament in the next year or two then there would be something to bitch about

UA is broke as an athletic department...it's true, we don't know what his buyout is if any but to suggest that they will be able to find 300k per/years left AND pay a new coaching staff is a bit of a stretch. Better hope he gets it going and not continue collecting a paycheck and winning 34% of his games.

Not firing that incompetent OC is borderline negligence. Going into year 5 not having a QB that can play in the CAA IS negligence...

Edited by Clickclack

You have a point. It's possible there are incentives he has to reach but my comment was just based off the position &#036;iena fans find themselves in with Patsos where they basically can't get rid of the guy even if they wanted too. However, they ARE a private school and we a state school so, as you said, it's quite possible not all contracts are created equal. One can only hope UA was smart enough to give themselves an out if things go south.

Click. Sorry, Maine and UNH did not join the CAA in 2007. They were founding members of YANKEE Football, which became branded as A-10 football, which was then branded CAA football.

My issue Less with the extension and more with the wanting to see what happens with the offense. Some of the issues are youth related (the line), others with decision making w a young an. Howve, a lot of it had to do with playcalling. It simply was very vanilla and predictable. We play northeast football,,,just like all college and pro teams in the pound it out northeastern leagues. However, you need to mix it up more with some of these modern passing attack RPO schemes to be successful in the CAA. This where I feel we lacked last season, and Im not so sure it was based on talent or youth only. A lot came from the playcalling itself.

So, Id we have a different, more productive offense this year, I think this extension is a good thing.

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Not an excuse but the jump from A10 to CAA is not as big as the jump from NEC to CAA.

I also question the timing of this contract extension. I like to give coaches time to build their program and GG has had time to build it with mediocre to bad results. I think a contract extension takes the pressure off him a little and that can be a good or bad thing. I personally think it's better to have a little pressure of a "contract year" to light a bit of a fire and make the proper changes.

Either way I'm gonna support the program and root hard for victories!

Click, don't take this the wrong way but I think a bit of your bitterness comes from GG blocking you on twitter. haha! Which I totally understand by the way. He shouldn't be blocking season ticket holders.

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

didn't see this before I made my post. Sorry for the duplicate info.