UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Thompson Fights Though Injury, Makes Adjustments

by Gary Lambrecht | LaxMagazine.com | Twitter | Lambrecht Archive

Ninth-ranked Albany is rarely in need of a scoring spark. On a typical day, the sparks in the Great Danes' offense are flying from various directions – often in sudden waves – under the guidance of senior Lyle Thompson, who might be remembered as the greatest orchestrator in college lacrosse history.

On Wednesday night at Harvard, in a classic, back-and-forth affair, Thompson showed few signs of the sprained shoulder he suffered in a season-opening victory over Drexel last month. Thompson also showed he can still flip the switch from feeder to goal-scorer with devastating results. He scored four of his school-record nine goals over the final 20 minutes to lift Albany to a 21-18 victory – its fifth straight.

The surging Danes won the night in epic fashion. They took 57 shots and needed nearly every one of them to negate a 23-save gem by Crimson junior goalie Bryan Moore. On a night when redshirt sophomore attackman Seth Oakes (one goal) struggled after battling the flu, Thompson took 24 shots.

"Lyle is not even playing a full game yet. He still has trouble raising his arm," said Scott Marr, Albany's 16th-year coach. "This [season] is most likely the last time I'll ever see this type of talent on my field every day."

Albany (6-1) appears to have shaken off some early-season rust that included a 16-9 loss to Yale and a 10-9 win over then-winless UMass. The Great Danes have scored 71 goals in their last three victories and 88 goals in their last four wins. Before out-dueling Harvard, Albany posted lopsided wins over Canisius (26-6) and Hartford (24-6). A year ago, the Danes lost to Canisius.

Marr dismissed any notion that Albany ran up the score in either blowout.

"We played the entire roster in both [Canisius and Hartford] games – every single player. I don't think any other team in the country has done that," Marr said.

"Those [backups] scored 14 goals in those two games. I'm not sending in [backups] and telling them to hold the ball and not score. I consider that an insult to both teams. They say you're only as good as your weakest link. We feel like our weakest link is pretty good."

Albany leads the NCAA with an average of 17.43 goals per game. Thompson leads the nation in assists per game (4.29) and points per game (7.29).

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed this thread somehow but good to see that Lyle and Miles are following in the footsteps of several other smart and talented UA alums who've made the Atlanta area their home. Looking forward to seeing them play live!

Edited by madDOG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

thompsonbrotherslacrosseWe’re excited to announce the upcoming launch of a new series, The Medicine Game: Four Brothers, One Dream. This four-part short film series is a sequel to the original feature length film released in 2014, @themedicinegame focused on older brothers @jeremy74thompson and @hiana22thompson This series will go in depth into the lives of @miles74thompson and @lyle4thompson and their rise to the pinnacle of the lacrosse world.

The first episode of the series will go live this weekend, and each week a new episode will debut.

For a sneak peak at the series, check out the trailer: https://youtu.be/GKk1sHtre3E

I had to ditch these cleats...they were unwearable. My old Nike cleats are 9.5's and fit fine (regular, not wide)...I got these in 9.5, 10, and 10.5 and all of them are INSANELY tight to the point where I can't finish ball games because I can barely walk. Sucks cause these things look AMAZING in action. Not sure what the hell Nike did with these but it was a bummer...

So, if any of you are considering buying a pair for the athlete in your life...make sure they have skinny arse feet or they will hate you.

I always have that problem with Nike it seems. You have to get almost 2 sizes larger than what you actually wear to fit in certain areas...but it screws up how it looks in other areas (I have that problem in the arm lengths).