UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Let's Fix SEFCU!

I have seen picture after picture of the SBU facility. The seats look terrible, it seats less than SEFCU and looks like it doesn't even come close to Bingo. I guess I'll have to travel to LI, UGH!, and see if the pictures and statistics are that miss leading.

While Bingo's building is larger, it has the same issue we currently have; not a finished bowl. In a perfect 'UA just won the mid-major arena lottery', what I'd really love is something like the FAMU Gym (Alfred Lawson Center)...but with a nice video board (can you tell I love video boards? REPLAYS!). Has a capacity of just under 9,700. I think that is the most seats we'd ever truly need, even when we're considered a mid-major powerhouse with the likes of Gonzaga 30 years from now.

flizcp.jpg

Edited by Ilko

I have seen picture after picture of the SBU facility. The seats look terrible, it seats less than SEFCU and looks like it doesn't even come close to Bingo. I guess I'll have to travel to LI, UGH!, and see if the pictures and statistics are that miss leading.

While Bingo's building is larger, it has the same issue we currently have; not a finished bowl. In a perfect 'UA just won the mid-major arena lottery', what I'd really love is something like the FAMU Gym (Alfred Lawson Center)...but with a nice video board (can you tell I love video boards? REPLAYS!). Has a capacity of just under 9,700. I think that is the most seats we'd ever truly need, even when we're considered a mid-major powerhouse with the likes of Gonzaga 30 years from now.

flizcp.jpg

I think you made an important point: if we gut SEFCU or build a new arena we should expect it to be our home for the next 30 years (as our current home will probably be nearly a 30-year residency), and it should be able to handle growth of our program (including a jump to another conference one day) in our market with a metropolitan area in excess of one million people. Perhaps seating for 8000 or so is appropriate.

Way toooo big in my opinion. Go for what Monmouth has...

MNMTHU033.jpg?n=2578

Too small - need to allow for future growth

for now chair backs in 3 middle sections on both sides (purple please)

video screens (rent/buy) in at least 2, if not all four corners

Nope...unlike football (where it's easily built to expand) it's not easy to expand a building, though it is done all the time.

I think you build the next place to the size you want to fill. Also, it puts us in a good position facility-wise when the next shakeup occurs with the conferences. And yes, we are due for the total P-5 split one day. I want to be in the "next" big boy tier with our peer schools (one step down from the P-5).

A question to ask is whether or not someone is willing to sacrifice the two practice courts and indoor track surface to build a true basketball arena with more stationery seating like SBU did.

Indoor track and practice space would be in the field house in the long-term plan discussed in our Xmas present thread last December, that being about the same level of likelihood as a new arena over the next five years.
  • Like 1

A question to ask is whether or not someone is willing to sacrifice the two practice courts and indoor track surface to build a true basketball arena with more stationery seating like SBU did.

Do we have courts in the phys ed building? Can we upgrade the bubble for indoor track? What do they even use that thing for these days?

Way toooo big in my opinion. Go for what Monmouth has...

MNMTHU033.jpg?n=2578

4100 to small... I'd target around 5500 to 6000. That in my opinion would he perfect with a couple of suites for president etc up top towards the ceiling. I want no part of to what sbu did, imo that's the worst part of their arena. I do live the look of the Monmouth place. Beautiful Edited by Clickclack

And of course, to clarify, the FAMU place I posted was what my dream is for the program 30 years from now...not what I want now lol. We definitely have to sell out constantly the 4,300 or whatever we have now. I'm just saying, that when I'm 50 years old, that's where I want the program to be.

The Monmouth place is too small, but I didn't even see it on my google images search...from a looks standpoint that looks very nice though. Something like that would be great, just with more seating.