UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I don't know anything about lacrosse but I found it strange how we couldn't advance the ball...every time we passed even across the field UNC kids were on us. Not sure how that happens...I'm clueless though.

I'm no expert but it seems they were using a 10 man ride a lot which is kind of like a full court press but different because they have an extra man defending with the goalie coming out of the goal. Just like a full court press, if you break it you have a layup. If you break the 10 man ride you have basically an empty net to shoot in but it's very hard to break.

Can any of the real lacrosse people on here explain this better for us?

• Like 1

I don't know anything about lacrosse but I found it strange how we couldn't advance the ball...every time we passed even across the field UNC kids were on us. Not sure how that happens...I'm clueless though.

I'm no expert but it seems they were using a 10 man ride a lot which is kind of like a full court press but different because they have an extra man defending with the goalie coming out of the goal. Just like a full court press, if you break it you have a layup. If you break the 10 man ride you have basically an empty net to shoot in but it's very hard to break.

RGood, You explained it pretty well; except even when you break it, the goalie is usually not so far from the goal and can get back. So it is not totally like a breakaway slam dunk in BB. It is kind of a desperation move, and it is more often UNsuccessful than successful. Also, usually you do not see it sustained for long periods of time. Three years ago @ Hofsta notre dame usued it to erase our 5 goal lead in the fourth qtr; but I still insist it was only successful that day because the stripes were allowing a lot of holding, pushing & illegal knocking down UA players. Saturday nc's ten man ride was done very well (in my opinion); but it does require a lot of energy and the offense after a while does get use to it & adjust; which like I said, it is not usually sustained for long periods.

I am also not an expert; so real lacrosse people & others are welcomed to input and disagree with my opinions.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2

Also a LAX noob...this game is ancient right (native americans started it)...but I felt like I was watching a mix of hockey and handball...which I found helped make my first real viewing experiencing somewhat of an easier transition than I thought. The man-up/man-down = power play in hockey, pulling a goalie for an extra man, not being able to shoot within a certain area (the circle) like in hockey or handball...so I guess whoever 'created' hockey and handball used LAX as a basis? Neat.

Edited by Eli

It wasn't a full ride because they didn't need too, we were coughing the ball up left and right with their pressure, wacking our sticks, and forcing our long poles to clear which is always a challenge since ball control is tough with a long pole. Short stick middies needed to come back to the ball just like guards in a press in BB. They forced the long poles to the sidelines causing errant passes. Those of you who saw that BB game at SBU this year, and I witnessed it, saw the pressure and we had guys handling the ball that shouldn't leading to TOs every time. Kudos to UNC but we need to practice that this week. I think we are better off in a close game, 1 or 2 goals lead all game rather than a huge lead to protect. They will not ride till last couple minutes of the game if losing. I will be nervous if we are up say 12-4 in this game, pressure will come early, Rambo is good, and not sure we can handle it. Marr has alot to cover this week.

Edited by nysteve661
  • Like 1

RGood, You explained it pretty well; except even when you break it, the goalie is usually not so far from the goal and can get back. So it is not totally like a breakaway slam dunk in BB. It is kind of a desperation move, and it is more often UNsuccessful than successful. Also, usually you do not see it sustained for long periods of time. Three years ago @ Hofsta notre dame usued it to erase our 5 goal lead in the fourth qtr; but I still insist it was only successful that day because the stripes were allowing a lot of holding, pushing & illegal knocking down UA players. Saturday nc's ten man ride was done very well (in my opinion); but it does require a lot of energy and the offense after a while does get use to it & adjust; which like I said, it is not usually sustained for long periods.

I am also not an expert; so real lacrosse people & others are welcomed to input and disagree with my opinions.

THIS. And may be the reason why they didn't complete their comeback.

Their offense is damn good, they just didn't have possession the first half due to our utter dominance.

I think we took our lead for granted, and we sunk into a protect the lead posture.

Let's not forget, they were national champs for a reason. But, we held. We won. We move on.

We've seen and we've tasted maryland already. We will be ready.

It wasn't a full ride because they didn't need too, we were coughing the ball up left and right with their pressure, wacking our sticks, and forcing our long poles to clear which is always a challenge since ball control is tough with a long pole. Short stick middies needed to come back to the ball just like guards in a press in BB. They forced the long poles to the sidelines causing errant passes. Those of you who saw that BB game at SBU this year, and I witnessed it, saw the pressure and we had guys handling the ball that shouldn't leading to TOs every time. Kudos to UNC but we need to practice that this week. I think we are better off in a close game, 1 or 2 goals lead all game rather than a huge lead to protect. They will not ride till last couple minutes of the game if losing. I will be nervous if we are up say 12-4 in this game, pressure will come early, Rambo is good, and not sure we can handle it. Marr has alot to cover this week.

Good points about the long poles and middies. Will be addressed this week in practice.

If you look at the cuse / nc game in the acc championship, they both had massive halves....

sometimes it happens. nc in the first half. cuse in the 2nd half. We survived a massive, aggressive, energy exhausting attack by nc.

We are in the quarters. Let's go kick some terrapinheads.

http://www.cuse.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mlacrosse&id=7884

Edited by uofalbany