UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany takes home its 5th straight America East Commissioner's Cup

Dane96

Using religious figures in a response of disgust probably isn't needed.

+1, thank you for saying this.
So funny coming from the people on this board who complain people take what people say on here too seriously. DP has asked people not to talk politics on here....

The governor is the one who has inserted politics into sports...which is why I continue to bring it up. Its relevant to the discussion of whether or not UA could move up to a higher level league. Imagine if a SUNY school was

in the ACC and could not play at Wake, UNC, Duke and NC State because political optics were more important to the governor than SUNY athletic excellence.

We all know that the travel ban isn't unique to SUNY athletics..right? The way it's being discussed here..I'm not sure that everyone understands that. It's all state funded travel. Certainly we on the board focus on the UAlbany athletics impact..but there are plenty of things more important to state leadership than "SUNY athletic excellence." There are plenty of things more important to SUNY and UAlbany than athletic excellence.

All that being said..congratulations to the program on its continued dominance of the America East!

Putting aside all political grandstanding and/or posturing by ny state leadership,

UAlbany athletics has become 'a' if not 'the' dominant force of the America East.

Many UA fanatics sit and ponder the current existence of our athletics program. Are we content

with staying in a conference like the America East? It has served its purpose, there is no doubt in this.

What is our athletic department vision over the next 20 years? What is Benson proposing?

Will there be any growth staying in the AE? Where is the ceiling for UAlbany athletic success? Have we hit it?

Do we try and raise the bar?

Many of us said early on.... all the University of Albany athletics needed was to be unleashed, and the beast

would emerge as a powerhouse. All of this success because... all we did was enter D1 athletics.

Imagine if UAlbany athletics became a priority or even a thought by certain entities and/or individuals?

Edited by uofalbany
  • Like 2

Putting aside all political grandstanding and/or posturing by ny state leadership,

UAlbany athletics has become 'a' if not 'the' dominant force of the America East.

Many UA fanatics sit and ponder the current existence of our athletics program. Are we content

with staying in a conference like the America East? It has served its purpose, there is no doubt in this.

What is our athletic department vision over the next 20 years? What is Benson proposing?

Will there be any growth staying in the AE? Where is the ceiling for UAlbany athletic success? Have we hit it?

These are great questions. With Nano gone, I'm not sure what else will take us into a national conversation or help us leap in the rankings. So Athletics plays a role beyond just community building. There is evidence that winning at a high level corresponds to increased applications and donations, so I hope the school will see the value. Or maybe one of our alums will just become a billionaire and start pouring money into the program :)

• Like 1

So funny coming from the people on this board who complain people take what people say on here too seriously. DP has asked people not to talk politics on here....

Not to say anything negative about DP; but it is really physically impossible to participate on this blog and NOT talk politics. We are a STATE University. Everything this University does whether athletically, academically, community or whatever has political implications. Did not the governor slice off perhaps the biggest most successful part of UA (not to bring up another item from other threads--but did he not?) Our very existence as a NEW DI athletic program vs being a historically big 5 power, is directly related to government blocking at the worst and government disinterest at the least. Like it or not, political interference at the most and government disinterest @ the least, continues to hinder any goals UA may have in expanding into a better conference and/or getting AAU certification. Funding also an issue; but again as a STATE University, government and politics inherently involved. How can we not talk politics?????

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 3

Not to say anything negative about DP; but it is really physically impossible to participate on this blog and NOT talk politics. We are a STATE University. Everything this University does whether athletically, academically, community or whatever has political implications. Did not the governor slice off perhaps the biggest most successful part of UA (not to bring up another item from other threads--but did he not?) Our very existence as a NEW DI athletic program vs being a historically big 5 power, is directly related to government blocking at the worst and government disinterest at the least. Like it or not, political interference at the most and government disinterest @ the least, continues to hinder any goals UA may have in expanding into a better conference and/or getting AAU certification. Funding also an issue; but again as a STATE University, government and politics inherently involved. How can we not talk politics?????

You're right to a degree that there is no separating politics from a state school. The Elon game is a good example.

I've been opposed to talking about politics for politics sake on this board because people can do that on basically every other form of social media there is.

• Like 2

I find the new conference talk interesting because right now, I don't see a "no brainer" conference option. The CAA maybe, but their high water mark seemed to be seven or eight years ago. The MAC maybe, but geographically it doesn't make a ton of sense.

The last couple of years we've been around the top 100(ish) in RPI in basketball and the top 10 in lacrosse this year regardless of conference. Not to sound cocky but I don't think we've hit a ceiling yet.

• Like 1

I'm all about growth and expansion. Probably pretty clear to everyone.

The questions I think worth answering:

Where do we want to be in 10-20 years?

What is the game plan to get us there?

If we have aspirations to become nationally relevant, in all sports, I think complacency destroys all hopes.

I think we all agree, UAlbany needs to be in another conference (at some point), if we want it to happen.

I think we've hit the ceiling in basketball.... both mens and womens. Which, arguably is the most relevant sport

in college athletics. It's all about basketball and football, and of course, lacrosse :)

Do we DRESS FOR SUCCESS, or do we wait for someone or something to make it happen for us?

If we take every step possible to be attractive (one day) to a American Athletic Conference (for instance),

what are those steps?

Facilities upgrades?

Half step conference upgrades?

In terms of the CAA vs AE schools:

AE: Binghamton, Hartford, Lowell, Maine, Stony Brook, UNH, UMBC, Vermont

CAA: Charleston, Delaware, Drexel, Elon, Hofstra, James Madison, Northeastern, Towson, Wilmington, William & Mary

MAC: Is this a conference where schools upgrade to, and eventually die off into mediocrity? Probably.

Is the CAA an upgrade?

Name recognition & affiliation plays a big role in how people judge our athletics program.

Of course, everything is easier said than done.

Edited by uofalbany
  • Like 1