UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I met Justin today at the GDAC area. Definitely a pleasant guy. Was good to put a name to a face.

Back to the topic...the rental seats, evidently, are easily removed with just your fingers loosening the nut holding them to the bleacher...so the 'safety' concern and having UA 'screwed to the bleacher' type over the ones people used to bring is a dumb excuse. I will make sure to mention this in my call if and when they call.

Will also mention the advisory board. Anyone else have any suggestions or things they want discussed?

i think the safety concern is a crock of $iena. There are 66000 bleachers seats in Lambeau field and they allow bleacher seat backs. I think the bolt down is so fans don't walk off with them. I intend to let them have it again this week as the rental seats are awful. I'm sore today due to the seats. I can't imagine anyone with a bad back having to use one. Eli, they are dangerous too. The gentleman to the left of you nearly had an accident when the back rest came off and he tried to sit down and could have toppled backwards. The seats have thin steel rods supporting the back which could Impale some one if they stumbled and landed on them.
  • Like 1

I think it's really just a revenue generation issue. it's $20 more donation. I get that it's an annoyance" and communications weren't "perfect", but I wouldn't label this a fiasco. Bring your seats to the volleyball matches, those bleachers are

uncomfortable and I'm sure they won't be banned from the venue.

I think it's really just a revenue generation issue. it's $20 more donation. I get that it's an annoyance" and communications weren't "perfect", but I wouldn't label this a fiasco. Bring your seats to the volleyball matches, those bleachers are

uncomfortable and I'm sure they won't be banned from the venue.

I think the families with kids who need to bring items to the games would disagree. As the school says now just have your 3 year old carry the diapers in a clear bag for your baby. It's become not just a seat issue but a carry in issue now.

I think it's really just a revenue generation issue. it's $20 more donation. I get that it's an annoyance" and communications weren't "perfect", but I wouldn't label this a fiasco. Bring your seats to the volleyball matches, those bleachers areuncomfortable and I'm sure they won't be banned from the venue.

wrong. The seats were sold by the university in a store within the stadium. Then the university decides to ban what they sold for use in the stadium. You may accept it but no one else I know is ready. Besides, they've already generated revenue from these seats. They sold them at a profit. Edited by jimbo

Just had a 30 minute call with Mr. Cegles.

NOTE: This is my interpretation of the comments. Others may interpret them differently, but I don't think we'll be seeing any changes as a result of the last week or so. I also don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth, so again, these are my interpretations. There is always a possibility of misunderstanding someones comments.

Here is the gist of the conversation:

Apologized for the first game, admitted to the school doing horrible job of communicating and the department accepts the responsibility to improve. Most of these policies existed when the stadium first opened, but weren't enforced or monitored until this season
Q: People asking why fans, especially season ticket holders, weren't notified of these policy changes ahead of time?
UA takes the blame for the poor communication and will work to improve that.
Q: Fans suggesting season ticket holder advisory board of some sort or some way for season ticket holders to provide direct feedback on new policies as they are being developed?
Have talked about a 'volunteer board' internally to allow fans such as you and I to have some say in some of the stuff they are doing and also acting as ambassadors for the program (like I do when I wear my UA ball cap and start a conversation with someone sitting next to me on a plane, sharing stuff on FB/Twitter, etc.). They are trying to build an elite level program not only on the field but in all of the other stuff that goes into having an athletic program and appreciates fans such as you and I who are diehards and show such loyalty and support for the programs and the school.
Q: Any comment on the selling of an item IN the stadium and then banning it, forcing people to spend additional money if they want seats?
From what I understood, Barnes and Noble, the seller, is a separate entity and anything they sell, UA doesn't get a cut of (it's just a single contract and then B&N sells what it feels will make them money I guess - again, how I understood it). Thus, no way to refund for previously purchased seats due to people getting them from a variety of sources. As a bridge, complimentary seat backs will be offered for those who contact the department regarding their inability to use their purchased seats. For this year only.
Q: Any comment on the bag policy, specifically the baby bags for people with kids?
University Police forced the departments hand with this. Approached early last week, told to make it effective immediately even after athletic department wanted to hold off. NYC pressure cooker bomb was driving force for UPD evidently. Said that at the end of every year they issue a survey to season ticket holders and stuff like this is looked at for future years. Perhaps in the future (read: not this year or maybe even next) perhaps a workaround such as a separate bag check could be instituted. Said the department was talking to B&N about making a clear tote with a UA logo to sell which would fit the policy and be quite large to fit everything. I did not want to be an ass and ask if it would be later banned... :P *joke roll/snare drum rimshot*
G: *General comment about using NFL policies and guidelines*
If the NFL feels like *insert here*, then UA feels it is best to follow suit and use the same/similar policy, instead of reinventing the wheel.
G: *General comment about feedback, changes and the experience*
After every year they discuss what worked and what didn't...so these changes (parking, bag policy, etc.) may (or may not) be permanent. Feels a mid-season change won't be appropriate but a survey at the end of the year will be gathered and stuff will be discussed. Nothing is set in stone but also doesn't mean they will simply dissolve the policy at years end. Discussions will be had. Hopefully, with aforementioned volunteer board/advisory board (if and when they put that together), the fans will have some additional say and not just via a survey.
Q: Off topic, any plans to license game replica equipment such as jerseys?
Barnes and Noble, as previously mentioned, looks at margin of profits. If B&N was to go out and buy Nike stuff but then can't sell it, they won't do it. Talking with them to upgrade their stuff and presentation (such as during basketball intro's - guess they operate that? Got side tracked so didn't follow up on that one). This is a University deal, so not athletics specific thus the athletics equipment manager can't just order 1000 #44 jersey's, etc. and have the Athletic Department sell them. Apparel has to go through B&N. Can't even get pizzas for students to entice them to come to games from anyone but Sodexo as it has to go through university contract.
If anyone has any further questions or concerns, they are more than welcome to reach out to Mr. Cegles personally. He is more than happy to take the call.
Email: vcegles@albany.edu
Office Phone: (518) 442-3564
Edited by Eli

NOTE: This is my interpretation of the comments. Others may interpret them differently, but I don't think we'll be seeing any changes as a result of the last week or so. I also don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth, so again, these are my interpretations. There is always a possibility of misunderstanding someones comments.

Apologized for the first game, admitted to the school doing horrible job of communicating and the department accepts the responsibility to improve. Most of these policies existed when the stadium first opened, but weren't enforced or monitored until this season

Thanks for doing the call. I think a lot of us fans appreciate it.

To clarify..did "these changes" refer to the bag/seat announcements from last week? In your comments later..it says he responded that UPD approached them and asked make these changes..and 'now' because of the events in Chelsea. Would seem odd that UPD would have to ask them to implement a new policy if it was already a policy..specifically regarding the bags. For the seats..was he suggesting they've been banned since 3+ years ago but they have miscommunicated that until right after the rental option was announced?

Q: Any comment on the selling of an item IN the stadium and then banning it, forcing people to spend additional money if they want seats?
From what I understood, Barnes and Noble, the seller, is a separate entity and anything they sell, UA doesn't get a cut of (it's just a single contract and then B&N sells what it feels will make them money I guess - again, how I understood it). Thus, no way to refund for previously purchased seats due to people getting them from a variety of sources. As a bridge, complimentary seat backs will be offered for those who contact the department regarding their inability to use their purchased seats. For this year only.

November 2013 I purchased a $50 stadium seat from Brian Rudolph who worked the ticket off at the Athletics Department. Those chairs were sold in the SEFCU Arena and Bob Ford Field stores. I did not purchase it through the B&N store.

There use to be a specific Athletics Store on their website that was not through B&N. My dad bought something from it before and it was through Athletics.

EDIT: I will add it was not available online to order in the B&N store. I know this because someone not in Albany was trying to purchase one as a gift and I had to go in person and get it from Athletics.

Edited by MRSGDG

November 2013 I purchased a $50 stadium seat from Brian Rudolph who worked the ticket off at the Athletics Department. Those chairs were sold in the SEFCU Arena and Bob Ford Field stores. I did not purchase it through the B&N store.

There use to be a specific Athletics Store on their website that was not through B&N. My dad bought something from it before and it was through Athletics.

EDIT: I will add it was not available online to order in the B&N store. I know this because someone not in Albany was trying to purchase one as a gift and I had to go in person and get it from Athletics.

and the team served pizzas to students last week to thank them for their support. Pizza boxes in the picture said Cusato's on them. Sudexo orders from Cusato's?

Side note: LOVED Gattuso's response to Singelais:

Gattuso tweet about the pizzas:

https://twitter.com/CoachGGattuso/status/779382460429639680

UAlbany football players joined me in giving out 1000 pizza slices to thank our student body for their support

Singelais response:

https://twitter.com/MarkSingelais/status/779383557143851008

Mark Singelais@MarkSingelais Sep 23

Mark Singelais Retweeted Greg Gattuso

Anything to get the students out to the game ...

Gattuso response:

https://twitter.com/CoachGGattuso/status/779383999873490944

@MarkSingelais You continue to see negative where there isn't any. The students were awesome and I hope they keep coming to the games

Edited by DanesRGood
  • Like 1

Thanks for doing the call. I think a lot of us fans appreciate it.

To clarify..did "these changes" refer to the bag/seat announcements from last week? In your comments later..it says he responded that UPD approached them and asked make these changes..and 'now' because of the events in Chelsea. Would seem odd that UPD would have to ask them to implement a new policy if it was already a policy..specifically regarding the bags. For the seats..was he suggesting they've been banned since 3+ years ago but they have miscommunicated that until right after the rental option was announced?

Correct, from what I understood him saying is that the seat stuff was always in place just never enforced and the bag stuff was due to Chelsea at the demand of UPD. So, they just lumped them in all together in one newly revealed/enforced policy.

Interesting. Yes I remember Mr. Rudolph...he was what James Troutman is now.

Edited by Eli

The seats were sold by the store which was operated by the Athletics Dept - they were not sold by Barnes and Noble.

Mr. Cegles was not an employee of the University until this year - he has no personal experience with anything having to do with the situation prior to this season. I spoke to him as I was tailgating on Saturday. He gave me a clear zip lock baggie (really) and the line that the rules were in effect since the stadium opened but they were not enforced. My response to him was that he was either misinformed since he was not here or he was lying. The rules for the stadium were on the athletics website when the stadium opened (that's how we knew that umbrellas were not allowed) and were posted near the main entrance. There was no mention of portable seat backs for bleacher seats in that set of rules. The public could only find out about this NEW policy when they were told as they were trying to enter the stadium for the first game this year.

I believe Cegles when he says that UPD strongly influenced the decision to implement a new security policy but UPD does NOT have final decision making power. The policy must be approved by Athletics as that is the area of the University that controls the Stadium. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the first home basketball game at SEFCU.

No communication is very different from poor communication.

I thought B&N ran the SEFCU store and the Bob Ford field store as well. That's why i mentioned that early on...and the answer I suspected would be given...was given. They have the rights to sell all on campus apparel. That being said, whomever the marketing/licensing person is for the general school contracts (e.g. athletics is not negotiating the deal) should be fired. Terrible rights deal.

• Like 1