UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

National Championships

uofalbany

UAlbany Champions  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Gov Cuomo woke up on the wrong side of the bed and said, damn why is my state university not on ESPN like Gov Walker's of Wisconsin he could fix that fast.

He may not be able to get a SUNY Center in the Big 10 but he could line up millions of dollars and push to get it upgraded. I bet he could get UB in the AAC real fast. Funnel money for a new stadium. Fix what ESPN and other sports networks say needs fixing.

It's not magic. It's desire and leadership. Each new governor brings that chance.

If Gov Cuomo woke up on the wrong side of the bed and said, damn why is my state university not on ESPN like Gov Walker's of Wisconsin he could fix that fast.

He may not be able to get a SUNY Center in the Big 10 but he could line up millions of dollars and push to get it upgraded. I bet he could get UB in the AAC real fast. Funnel money for a new stadium. Fix what ESPN and other sports networks say needs fixing.

It's not magic. It's desire and leadership. Each new governor brings that chance.

Why would we care about UB?!!

I also do not see it happening for a long time. How have other teams done who moved out of the AE for bball since they left. I think it is not very good. Also, I know UB is struggling in FBS with attendance and the budget. Also, UA and the other university centers don't seem to have big student support or support from administrators and faculty, which would be needed for a large increase in the budget for the athletic department because it would effect other departments greatly.

I spent all of Saturday in and around the stadium from about 2pm until after the lax game with my buddy, his daughter (current UA soph) and 3 of her friends. We asked them about support for athletics on campus and they said there is none. They went to two basketball games this season and only because their friend sang the national anthem and they left during the first half. They said no one talks about it and no one cares. That's sad and part of what will keep us from moving up for a long time.

I don't care who is governor. Unless that governor is going to get A LOT more money for the SUNY budget that will go mostly towards athletics. I just don't see that getting passed.

Edited by DanesRGood

No reason to leave the AE. We are very successful in this conference and it affords us national exposure 2-3x per year or more. Realistically no other conference could offer that to us. And as DanesRGood stated, there is very little student support for athletics. Why spend the cash?

Bottom line, the AE gives us the best possible ROI.

Edited by madDOG
  • Like 1

Best possible ROI??? Maybe .... As someone in investments the AE is like being 20 years old and putting all ur money in bond funds... sure it's safe and u will never loss money, but u have no shot at big time growth .

Being in the AE is like the kid playing his video games on easy...he wins every time and feels good about himself but will never get any better. And if that's who we are and always will be I will support that, but i think it's the wrong move .

• Like 3

Why would we care about UB?!!

UB is just an example. I don't care about UB either. My point is simple. Any Governor of New York controls a lot of money and power. I could cite numerous examples of where Cuomo "found" a hundred million plus for a pet project. Another example, If you recall we came very close to getting $60M for a stadium if someone didn't drop the ball with Sen Bruno. IF he wanted he could funnel $100M into a campus for facilities.

Again, simple point.

Governor of New York = Money and Power

Money = New top of the line facilities

Facilities and budget = Factors in Conference

The status quo for NY State University athletics is a choice of the governor. He could match Governor Walker of Wisconsin if he choose.

No reason to leave the AE. We are very successful in this conference and it affords us national exposure 2-3x per year or more. Realistically no other conference could offer that to us. And as DanesRGood stated, there is very little student support for athletics. Why spend the cash?

I don't think you'd put millions and millions of $ into renovating SEFCU with long term goals of staying put in the America East

• Like 1

I don't think you'd put millions and millions of $ into renovating SEFCU with long term goals of staying put in the America East

It remains to be seen if they do, 10 million renovation is going to be pretty pedestrian I think.

It's never going to happen, they had a chance to move the CAA and balked at it. Please don't tell me the CAA with 3 teams in the top 110 RPI and finished in 11th place last year isn't an upgrade. IT IS!

It is an upgrade, but is it worth the investment? Unless it is considered a stepping stone to the next level, I don't think so. No reason to make that move if it is the final goal. Harder schedule, still no at-large bids so a harder path the the tournament, and none of the teams in that league would draw much better at SEFCU. Seems like a lose lose proposition since the budget would have to rise considerably.

If it's a 5-10 year stop on the way up, then by all means do it today.

Again, New York's state university compete's on the level the governor chooses. New York State government could match dollar for dollar any big P5 college. Most of those schools have athletic budgets at ~ $80M. The state has a budget of ~$160B.

That's why I say the biggest impact on UA athletics is the governor and their view of college sports.

I don't think anything less than the A-10 or AAC would be worth it.

The way SUNY formed was not helpful to the cause of major athletics and a tradition never really formed. Plus, when the Land Grant Universities were formed back in the 1800s, NY chose to award it to

Cornell while most other states created universities that would become large and now P5 participants. We've got a few state schools at Cornell...big whoop in terms of sports. Schools like Albany are

trying really hard to develop a solid fan base and a modern "tradition". Student apathy is rampant, not just here, but in the whole system. Its nice to see MLAX drawing so well. Football, early season especially, should be

packed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Albany athletics has had major success across the board: men's and women's lacrosse, basketball, track and football. There isn't much more they could achieve on the field or court. Yes lax could win a national title. Men's basketball or football could do better in their playoffs.

That said what gets UAlbany to the next level conference?

In impact ranking order:

1) Direct politician support. Biggest possible impact Gov decides he wants it. Money and leverage.

2) Growth of lacrosse. It's our most successful sport. Huge growth in lacrosse would be good for us.

3) Major donor. A T Boone Pickens type guy. Huge support for Oklahoma State.

4) On the field success. We're already successful at this level so how much more we can push it without a new conference is questionable. Worked for Wichita State and Boise State but it's rare.

5) Growth of the university. Conferences are based on TV and that's based on viewers. Bigger is better

So how do you get to an AAC type conference? That's what I see.

Edited by Michigan_Dane