Photo

Let's Fix SEFCU!

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#31 Eli

Eli

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

I have seen picture after picture of the SBU facility.  The seats look terrible, it seats less than SEFCU and looks like it doesn't even come close to Bingo.  I guess I'll have to travel to LI, UGH!, and see if the pictures and statistics are that miss leading.

While Bingo's building is larger, it has the same issue we currently have; not a finished bowl. In a perfect 'UA just won the mid-major arena lottery', what I'd really love is something like the FAMU Gym (Alfred Lawson Center)...but with a nice video board (can you tell I love video boards? REPLAYS!). Has a capacity of just under 9,700. I think that is the most seats we'd ever truly need, even when we're considered a mid-major powerhouse with the likes of Gonzaga 30 years from now.

flizcp.jpg

Edited by Ilko, 27 March 2015 - 06:20 PM.

GO DANES!!!

#32 UA_MA_2000

UA_MA_2000

UA MA 2000

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

I have seen picture after picture of the SBU facility.  The seats look terrible, it seats less than SEFCU and looks like it doesn't even come close to Bingo.  I guess I'll have to travel to LI, UGH!, and see if the pictures and statistics are that miss leading.

While Bingo's building is larger, it has the same issue we currently have; not a finished bowl. In a perfect 'UA just won the mid-major arena lottery', what I'd really love is something like the FAMU Gym (Alfred Lawson Center)...but with a nice video board (can you tell I love video boards? REPLAYS!). Has a capacity of just under 9,700. I think that is the most seats we'd ever truly need, even when we're considered a mid-major powerhouse with the likes of Gonzaga 30 years from now.

flizcp.jpg

I think you made an important point: if we gut SEFCU or build a new arena we should expect it to be our home for the next 30 years (as our current home will probably be nearly a 30-year residency), and it should be able to handle growth of our program (including a jump to another conference one day) in our market with a metropolitan area in excess of one million people. Perhaps seating for 8000 or so is appropriate.

#33 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Until we are drawing 4500+ and selling out every night I wouldn't expand. Having 3600 a night in a 7000 seat arena is not a good look. I'd decrease the capacity to put in more chair backs if possible. 

#34 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

Way toooo big in my opinion. Go for what Monmouth has...

MNMTHU033.jpg?n=2578

Edited by UA'08, 27 March 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#35 sarge965

sarge965

BPF Bracket Challenge Winner

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

MNMTHU033.jpg?n=2578

Too small  - need to allow for future growth

for now chair backs in 3 middle sections on both sides (purple please)

video screens (rent/buy) in at least 2, if not all four corners

GREAT DECADE TO BE A GREAT DANE

#36 Dane96

Dane96

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

I'm with Sarge.  Make some improvements for SEFCU....save cash, and build new. The next place should be in the 6500-7000 seat range.  

Edited by Dane96, 27 March 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#37 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

Would we be able to avg at least 6000 a game in the future if we built something like that? I'm still very weary on attendance numbers.

#38 Dane96

Dane96

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

Nope...unlike football (where it's easily built to expand) it's not easy to expand a building, though it is done all the time.

I think you build the next place to the size you want to fill.  Also, it puts us in a good position facility-wise when the next shakeup occurs with the conferences.  And yes, we are due for the total P-5 split one day. I want to be in the "next" big boy tier with our peer schools (one step down from the P-5).

#39 Brutus

Brutus

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

A question to ask is whether or not someone is willing to sacrifice the two practice courts and indoor track surface to build a true basketball arena with more stationery seating like SBU did.

#40 UAalum72

UAalum72

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

A question to ask is whether or not someone is willing to sacrifice the two practice courts and indoor track surface to build a true basketball arena with more stationery seating like SBU did.

Indoor track and practice space would be in the field house in the long-term plan discussed in our Xmas present thread last December, that being about the same level of likelihood as a new arena over the next five years.

#41 madDOG

madDOG

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Do we have courts in the phys ed building? Can we upgrade the bubble for indoor track? What do they even use that thing for these days?

#42 Clickclack

Clickclack

• Big Purple Fans
  • 10,556 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

MNMTHU033.jpg?n=2578

4100 to small... I'd target around 5500 to 6000. That in my opinion would he perfect with a couple of suites for president etc up top towards the ceiling. I want no part of to what sbu did, imo that's the worst part of their arena. I do live the look of the Monmouth place. Beautiful

Edited by Clickclack, 27 March 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#43 Eli

Eli

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

And of course, to clarify, the FAMU place I posted was what my dream is for the program 30 years from now...not what I want now lol. We definitely have to sell out constantly the 4,300 or whatever we have now. I'm just saying, that when I'm 50 years old, that's where I want the program to be.

The Monmouth place is too small, but I didn't even see it on my google images search...from a looks standpoint that looks very nice though. Something like that would be great, just with more seating.

GO DANES!!!

#44 Clickclack

Clickclack

• Big Purple Fans
  • 10,556 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

This place is pretty nice, 5k seats...

662_Pre_Game_at_TD_Arena.jpg

EQRWDNHXXMARMWV.20130410182412.jpg

One of my big priorities is to close it off and make it a bowl. 

Edited by Clickclack, 27 March 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#45 UA_MA_2000

UA_MA_2000

UA MA 2000

• Big Purple Fans
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

This place is pretty nice, 5k seats...
662_Pre_Game_at_TD_Arena.jpg
EQRWDNHXXMARMWV.20130410182412.jpg

One of my big priorities is to close it off and make it a bowl. 

I am of the same view. The bowl shape gives the arena a nice touch. I hope the BOFO's lower bowl is completed into a horseshoe at some point too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users