UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

You have to look at the offensive line, too. This unit has four seniors and a senior TE. They can run-block against teams like Elon that have trouble stopping the run, but they've given up "26" sacks (ranked 109, worst in the CAA) to opponents 16. A lot of them there hasn't been enough time for the QB to go thru his progressions even if he wanted to. Brunson got sacked in his limited time too. Is it because they're the last of the NEC recruits? A lot of younger guys will be playing next year.

Sussman has thrown only six INTs in eight games, half what the opponents threw, and one was a hail mary. Is that because he's taking sacks instead?

All good questions.

Also important to note is that he has a 43.3% completion rate 18 games into his college career, in a conservative offensive gameplan designed to minimize turnovers (very low risk passing.)

You have to look at the offensive line, too. This unit has four seniors and a senior TE. They can run-block against teams like Elon that have trouble stopping the run, but they've given up "26" sacks (ranked 109, worst in the CAA) to opponents 16. A lot of them there hasn't been enough time for the QB to go thru his progressions even if he wanted to. Brunson got sacked in his limited time too. Is it because they're the last of the NEC recruits? A lot of younger guys will be playing next year.

Sussman has thrown only six INTs in eight games, half what the opponents threw, and one was a hail mary. Is that because he's taking sacks instead?

All good questions.

Also important to note is that he has a 43.3% completion rate 18 games into his college career, in a conservative offensive gameplan designed to minimize turnovers (very low risk passing.)

I don't think it's low risk passes. He's always passing in obvious passing downs and being forced into deep routes with little time.

He hasn't been great but he's never had a chance to get s rhythm or any confidence.

Don't equate a boring offense with low risk. Our offense is incredibly boring but it's not low risk.

Edited by danefan

Congrats to B9j2j6s on the additions.

It's quite a bit different watching all the games on tv/web down here in FL with the warm weather.

Kinda miss the chilly days watching UA football. The other chilly days I don't miss.

This was a must win game, if we have any kind of respectable CAA team. The tests are forthcoming,

but I have confidence we can put this thing together over the next three games.

Although some might not be big fans of Sussman, I think we need permanency at the helm going forward....

not making things even more unstable.

Let's hope we see some creativity and some mixing it up on the O play calls going forward.

We all see the obvious...the reality is, if there was anyone else to go to I think GG would have already made the switch. The truly depressing and sobering thing is that this...THIS right here at QB is the best we have.

I don't know what Gattuso's plan is but if this is it...yikes!

I don't think it's low risk passes. He's always passing in obvious passing downs and being forced into deep routes with little time.

He hasn't been great but he's never had a chance to get s rhythm or any confidence.

Don't equate a boring offense with low risk. Our offense is incredibly boring but it's not low risk.

But because the run gets so heavily defended isn't he passing into single coverage most of the time? And don't the receivers run comparatively less complicated routes?

Edited by haggyland

But because the run gets so heavily defended isn't he passing into single coverage most of the time? And don't the receivers run comparatively less complicated routes?

Almost all of his passes are on obvious passing downs where everyone in the state knows we're not running.

What is concerning is I watched him throw TD's against Holy Cross and he looked good against Richmond up until he overthrew an open receiver in the 3rd OT period for the loss. Watched game on TV Saturday and you can see his confidence is not what it should be. He didn't want to throw a pick against Elon so he held the ball too long and was sacked 3 times. Sacks are not good but better than picks or worse pick 6's. The throws he did make downfield were off target. We might be able to get away with it against an Elon but as we have seen it didn't work against a good defense like Villanova.

I have confidence in the staff and I believe he can correct his mechanics.The staff will put him into a passing scheme that will build confidence...aka short passes to the flat or backs out of the backfield etc.

I think a 7 win season(or maybe better if we play lights out going the rest of the way) is certainly within reach. Cant tell if New Hampshire is a good team or not.

Edited by MRuler 79

I can understand the difficulty in not having Roberson or Harris, but Manzo-Lewis and Ketter get how many targets a game? Tight ends are usually security blankets for struggling QBs. They started the Elon game with the "reverse"

to Alston for a decent gain and then a swing pass to Alston for a gain...then those plays disappeared. Why oh why do they wait until 3rd and 7 to throw and then instead of a 10 yard pattern take a deep shot? I don't understand this.

Anyway, I think UNH has been a little inconsistent this year, but they are very tough at home and it should be a very tough game. SB has been up and down like a pogo stick, crushing UR and then laying an egg against Sacred Heart. They barely made it past URI. But, it's a SUNY rival and I expect the best from them. Delaware is struggling and has an interim coach. They run, run, run and run again. Still, these long established CAA teams with a proud tradition are always a tough out. I see this week as a "must win" because it will only get harder the next two.

Fun post from Elon board concerning their offensive woes: "...they couldn't score in a brothel!"