UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

$5MM Donation

McFan

As reported in the Business Review Online version

"The University at Albany received its largest-ever gift from an individual Monday, a $5 million commitment from Rheingold Brewing chief Norman E. Snyder Jr."

Appears directed toward the business school but includes general purposes.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:):):)

That is great news in the Univeristy's overall fund-raising effort!!!

I encourage everyone to give to UAlbany. I plan on giving to the new Business School effort along with some funds for the Athletics program. As alums and fans we all need to pitch in. The State of NY is not always going to be there for the athletics and other fine academic programs at UAlbany.

This is an unrelated sports question, but what is the University building on the Western Side of the campus near the entrance to State Quad? I tried to go to the front of state and was blocked by fences and I saw bulldozers digging up the part of the parking lot that was fenced off.

This is an unrelated sports question, but what is the University building on the Western Side of the campus near the entrance to State Quad?  I tried to go to the front of state and was blocked by fences and I saw bulldozers digging up the part of the parking lot that was fenced off.

9873[/snapback]

Parking lot expansion; here's the link

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/alerts.html

DF2K3, the 20% state contribution to the operating budget at UAlbany is not unusual. That's about the same as it is at Penn St. and most other state universities in the country. I work at UMass and the administration here is always pushing us toward finding ways - mostly grants, endowments, and gifts such as the UA 5 mil one - to fund ourselves. My salary (part time now since I retired a few years back) has long been funded from federal monies coming into the university. At this point in time, it is unrealistic to expect major increases in funding from the state. The money is going to have to come from private sources, i.e. foundations, alumni, etc. That's why one of Pres. Hall's first initiatives was to bring in a development person.

P.S. To alumni: don't be too hasty in tossing away the letter you received last week from Dr. McElroy re contributions to the athletic program. Yeah, we're all strapped and beset with non-stop requests for contributions from many sources, but this is another choice to make if we want to be part of the growth of this program.

I thought the new building next to State Quad was the Admissions Center.

Right, the new building, which sits roughly in front of the Art building is going to be for admissions, President's Office etc.

They're also digging up the top portion of the State Quad parking for expansion; that's the newest addition of chain link fence landscaping

FYI on public funding. From NY Times:

Taxpayer support for public universities, measured per student, has plunged more precipitously since 2001 than at any time in two decades, and several university presidents are calling the decline a de facto privatization of the institutions that played a crucial role in the creation of the American middle class.

Graham Spanier, president of Pennsylvania State University, said this year that skyrocketing tuition was a result of what he called "public higher education's slow slide toward privatization."

Other educators have made similar assertions, some avoiding the term "privatization" but nonetheless describing a crisis that they say is transforming public universities. At an academic forum last month, John D. Wiley, chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said that during the years after World War II, America built the world's greatest system of public higher education.

"We're now in the process of dismantling all that," Dr. Wiley said.

The share of all public universities' revenues deriving from state and local taxes declined to 64 percent in 2004 from 74 percent in 1991. At many flagship universities, the percentages are far smaller. About 25 percent of the University of Illinois's budget comes from the state. Michigan finances about 18 percent of Ann Arbor's revenues. The taxpayer share of revenues at the University of Virginia is about 8 percent.

"At those levels, we have to ask what it means to be a public institution," said Katharine C. Lyall, an economist and president emeritus of the University of Wisconsin. "America is rapidly privatizing its public colleges and universities, whose mission used to be to serve the public good. But if private donors and corporations are providing much of a university's budget, then they will set the agenda, perhaps in ways the public likes and perhaps not. Public control is slipping away."

Not everyone agrees with the doomsday talk. Some experts who study university finance say the declines are only part of a familiar cycle in which legislatures cut the budgets of public universities more radically than other state agencies during recession but restore financing when good times return, said Paul E. Lingenfelter, president of State Higher Education Executive Officers, a nonprofit association.

"Let's not panic and say that the public commitment to higher education has fundamentally changed," Dr. Lingenfelter said. "Let's just say that these cycles happen, and get back to work to restore the funding."

But the future of hundreds of universities and colleges has become a subject of anxious debate nationwide. At stake are institutions that carry out much of the country's public-interest research and educate nearly 80 percent of all college students, and whose scientific and technological innovation has been crucial to America's economic dominance.

Margaret Spellings, secretary of education, noted her own worries in announcing the appointment of a national Commission on the Future of Higher Education last month.

"We still have the finest system of higher education in the world," Ms. Spellings said. "But we're at a crossroads. The world is catching up."

The commission, whose first meeting is scheduled for Monday, will explore universities' affordability and competitiveness. Some members argue that universities, by failing to contain costs, share responsibility for the exploding price of a degree.

The average in-state tuition nationwide for students attending four-year public colleges increased 36 percent from 2000-01 through 2004-05, according to the College Board, while consumer prices over all rose about 11 percent.

The Morrill Act of 1862 granted federal land to states to finance the creation of public universities, and one of their core missions ever since has been to provide services that promote the well-being of communities and states. Today, educators using the term "privatization" say universities are being forced to abandon this social compact. In the process, many major public universities are looking more like private ones.

For instance, the University of Virginia and other public universities in the state responded to years of dwindling financing by asking Virginia's General Assembly to extend their autonomy and to reaffirm the university governing boards' authority to raise tuition. Lawmakers granted those requests, said Colette Sheehy, a University of Virginia vice president.

Two years ago, Miami University of Ohio became the first public institution to adopt the tuition model used by private colleges, eliminating the differential between in-state and out-of-state residents.

Across the nation, educators said, public anger is rising not only about tuition but about the increasing numbers of faculty members who focus on research rather than on teaching undergraduates, and about the time that university presidents spend hobnobbing with billionaires. University administrators say all three phenomena are related to the transformation of revenues.

As private donations and federal grants make up a larger proportion of universities' revenue, more professors are paid mainly to conduct research. And as state financing drops, more building projects depend on private philanthropy.

At the University of Wisconsin at Madison, Grainger Hall, which houses the business school, was financed largely by donations from David W. Grainger, chairman of W. W. Grainger Inc., the business-to-business distributor; from his wife; and from the Grainger Foundation. The school of pharmacy is in the new Rennebohm Hall, named after Oscar Rennebohm, whose drugstore chain amassed a fortune. The Rennebohm Foundation financed the building.

"Wisconsin people see all the construction on campus and don't understand why the university is complaining about budget cuts," Dr. Lyall said. "We have this apparent incongruity of building growth at a time when resources for teaching in those buildings are shrinking."

But flagship universities are less vulnerable to financing declines than are hundreds of state-run four-year colleges that do not offer doctoral programs or conduct significant research, said David Ward, president of the American Council on Education, the nation's largest association of universities and colleges. The flagships can replace some state revenues with federal grants and private donations, but the four-year colleges cannot, he said.

"Privatization may be a good description of what is going on at our flagship campuses, but not at our four-years," Dr. Ward said. "They cannot survive without public funding."

Patrick M. Callan, president of the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, a nonprofit group, also said he dislikes the word.

"The air is filled with this rhetoric about privatization, but the evidence doesn't support it," Mr. Callan said. He noted that in straight dollar terms, state appropriations for public universities have not fallen much across the nation in recent years. They totaled $67 billion in 2001, $70 billion in 2002, $69 billion in 2003 and $69 billion in 2004, the last year for which nationwide data is available.

But because enrollments surged during those years by more than 1 million students, or 11.8 percent, per-student appropriations dropped more steeply than at any time since the early 1980's, to $5,721 from $6,874, according to the State Higher Education Executive Officers.

Another measure, the average percentage of state tax revenues devoted to public higher education, has declined for several decades. About 6.7 percent of state revenues went to higher education appropriations in 1977, but by 2000, universities' share had fallen to 4.5 percent, according to a study by the Urban Institute.

Stanley O. Ikenberry, a president emeritus of the University of Illinois, says he believes that most state legislatures remain committed to supporting public higher education but that as budgets shrink, it is more difficult to cut programs like Medicaid, public schools and prisons.

"The higher education budget serves as the default place to make the cut," Dr. Ikenberry said. Nonetheless, he avoids the word "privatization," saying, "It's not a productive way to talk about what's happening now, but more a way of describing where we may be heading."

1st---Thanks to Mr. Snyder for his generous donation---I only wish I could match it.

2nd--Thank you to Alum73 for the info. I have to agree that public institutions no longer exist. In 1957-62, I could earn all the money needed for room, board, books and spending money during the summer(we had no tuition)---you had to earn < $1000 to do this. Try to do that today. The result is lower and lower middle income students are deprived of a public education. That is sad---we are not educating a lot of very capable students without putting them into a large amount of debt.

Couple of different opinions on the funding.

1. State funding means me and you (if you live in NY). They can't just print the money. Where is the fairness if I pay $40K for my kid to go elsewhere and still subsidize someone else's kid in the same wage bracket to go to a State school?

2. Aren't there more and more applications and every year at the State schools?

3. Between grants, loans, financial aid, and scholarships I have yet to meet a qualified kid with the desire to go to college, not be able to attend. Debt is tough for a kid just out of school but the rewards should justify. And maybe you have to work both summers and during the school year. Agian difficult but if that is your goal you have to sacrifice.

Couple of different opinions on the funding.

1.  State funding means me and you (if you live in NY).  They can't just print the money.  Where is the fairness if I pay $40K for my kid to go elsewhere and still subsidize someone else's kid in the same wage bracket to go to a State school?

You're not subsidizing someone else's kid, you're subsidizing the university. If you choose to go somewhere else, that's your choice.

3.  Between grants, loans, financial aid, and scholarships I have yet to meet a qualified kid with the desire to go to college, not be able to attend.

9908[/snapback]

So between grants, aid, and scholarships you're not really paying 40K, are you? At private schools those grants come from their endowment; SUNY colleges were founded basically without any endowment, so the state subsidy in effect makes up for that neglect (and saves the privates from competition for donations to their own endowment funds).

First, its hypothetical my kids are in school for $10K/each. Its called daycare.

I still dissagree. Take the toll bridges in NYC. If they did away with the tolls and forced everyones taxes up then I am subsidizing those in NYC (or those that travel to NYC). I am not subsidizing the bridge. This unfair to me, in my opinion. If I choose to not use the bridge it is my choice but I am subsidizing.

Second, I am a big fan of the State University system. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Is it affordable? I think so. Does it offer an above average education at a below average price? Again absolutely. Is there ample opportunity for those with the desire and intelligence? I think yes.

I guess we just have a difference of opinion on who should pay for an individuals education.