UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

"As the Siena World Turns"

Hopefully both teams make it to the NCAA's in the same year.

15174[/snapback]

Look, I like to make fun of Siena as much as anyone, but I only root for our teams to make the NCAA's. I don't care if Siena never makes the NCAA's again. Frankly Siena games are more entertaining to me when they are down by 20 and their fans are turning on them and leaving the building.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . I also thought it was funny that Duell left Vermont under the influence of some local people and got a release so he could enroll at Siena.  Can you imagine what they'd be saying in Loudenville if Vermont pulled the same stunt with Duell that they're pulling with Kojo.

15159[/snapback]

It means they would be playing by a Duell standard.

. . . I also thought it was funny that Duell left Vermont under the influence of some local people and got a release so he could enroll at Siena.  Can you imagine what they'd be saying in Loudenville if Vermont pulled the same stunt with Duell that they're pulling with Kojo.

15159[/snapback]

It means they would be playing by a Duell standard.

15177[/snapback]

hahahaha, priceless

Lou Gossett Jr. ???? This is going to be very fun to follow! They won't release the kid but he can keep his scholarship and attend Siena but can't play on the team. LOL!

Gotta love it. Gottal love it. My heart goes out to the Saints fans. Nah! Ha! Ha! Ha!

How could Kojo leave such an established program that is rich in tradition and plays in Albanys version of Madison Square Garden? I sense Lanier tampering! LOL! Ha! Ha! Ha!

SUCKS TO BE A SAINTS FAN! REALLY SUCKS TO BE A SAINTS FAN! OH HOW IT SUCKS TO BE A SAINTS FAN!

The only impact this story has on UAlbany, is that it will be Kenny, not Kojo, who will be dropping a triple double on the Great Danes this year!

15182[/snapback]

No freshman from a mid-major will do that against UAlbany this coming season. Be realistic, man. UAlbany improved substantially last season, and the experienced squad we have coming back will not tolerate that.

When the two local teams met last year, UAlbany had not learned how to win games. We proved how to play good defense as a team. UConn should have taught you a lesson about UAlbany.

Have been away for a while, out of the country but watching from afar. Funny stuff.

Honestly, if he doesn't get released and must sit out a year and pay his own way ... I would not be surprised to see him jam it up Siena's ass and transfer to UAlbany. The in-state tuition is affordable, he already lives in the Albany area so he wouldn't have to move and incur too much cost. He could just go about his business taking classes, jamming the ball in intramurals, getting into open runs around the city, biding his time.

saints73

The only impact this story has on UAlbany, is that it will be Kenny, not Kojo, who will be dropping a triple double on the Great Danes this year!

Kojo's triple double was awesome last year as was the play of Antoine but the deciding factors in Siena's OT win was

1. Jamar, Iati and Brent collectively shooting 5/26 from three

2. Lillis and Siggers combined for only 9 minutes

If these things don't happen Kojo's triple double is a wasted effort.

Kenny is a fine player but Kojo could get to the rim whenever he wanted Kenny's not that type of player.

By the way is Kenny transferring? :P:D:lol::P

15182[/snapback]

It is much more likely that another Siena player or 2 will transfer out of Siena between now and the December game than it is that any Siena player will get a triple double in that game.

The Siena obsession is a) boring, and B) embarassing.

© Non of the above

Its not an obsession; making fun of Siena sports like any other team is harmless fun (just as long as you don't go crazy).  Its not embarassing, lets face it Siena does the same thing to us.  twbg9 it's just sports this sort of thing goes on all the time, nothing to get upset about; no one is going to be hurt by this current situation: Siena will have a basketball season; Kojo if he is smart will atleast get his degree before he trys to go pro, and I'm sure UA and Siena will continue to grow and do well.  Hopefully both teams make it to the NCAA's in the same year.

15174[/snapback]

Its just that it is every thread that get redundant and unreadable. The constant banter with Siena Tony is interrupting my enjoyment of the posts on new recruits, etc.

In truth, in my 4 years at Albany, I barely knew where Siena was, and simply making the tournament does not increase my interest in what for anyone under 45 in an artificial rivalry.

Siena is irrelevant. Shoot higher and leave them in the rear view mirror.

Its just that it is every thread that get redundant and unreadable.  The constant banter with Siena Tony is interrupting my enjoyment of the posts on new recruits, etc. 

In truth, in my 4 years at Albany, I barely knew where Siena was, and simply making the tournament does not increase my interest in what for anyone under 45 in an artificial rivalry. 

Siena is irrelevant.  Shoot higher and leave them in the rear view mirror.

15187[/snapback]

Thank you for your opinion.

But, remember, it's just your opinion.

If you don't want to read the opinions here, which is one of the main purposes of this message board, just don't turn your eyes here. It's your option. In the meantime, those of us who profess an interest in this topic should be allowed to post observations and make opinions on it.

You are relatively new to UAlbany basketball, but many of us here on this board have followed UAlbany hoops for decades and decades. First of all, you should be a little more tolerant of the passion we have for UAlbany basketball in general and in the Siena rivalry specifically.

I would hardly call the rivalry irrelevant. The only way it is irrelevant is in the run for an NCAA seed. In the old times until the rivalry ended in 1976 it was easily the most hotly contested local basketball game and generated the greatest interest from the fans. You would not have believed the passion the contests generated before, during, and after the games.

That passion has returned since the renewal of the rivalry. It easily draws more fans for each school than just about any other contest on the schedule. You cannot simply ignore the interest by the fans and the media for this game. It is not artificial, as you term it, when it draws around 10,000 fans per year. If the game were played on a Saturday evening with decent weather, it will attract more than 12,000 fans as each team becomes more highly ranked on the national scene.

I agree with you that this game should not be the sole focus of the team and fans, but you must understand that in the early years of our Division I the game is an outstanding measuring stick for the progress our program has made. Any time you defeat a long-established, tradition-rich team in Siena - or merely come close to victory, the game signifies another step forward in UAlbany's rise.

Yes, we have already established our profile among Siena fans, local college hoop aficionados, and - maybe our greatest challenge - our own students and alumni. In that sense UAlbany men's basketball has already transcended the Siena game with great games against the likes of Vermont, UCLA, Florida, and UConn. We now have other solid measuring sticks with which to compare the development of UAlbany basketball.

But as long as the games are played, the UAlbany-Siena basketball rivalry will continue to measure just how far UAlbany has progressed in Division I hoops.

olddog71

GREAT POST

and besides that some of us have fun just harrassing our neighbors........

The self proclaimed "Crown Jewel of the MAAC", their arrogance is beyond description! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

twballgame9 - ignore what you don't like and enjoy this site as it is informative about an entire athletic program - Thanks mainly to the efforts of Dane Pound !!!

Its just that it is every thread that get redundant and unreadable.  The constant banter with Siena Tony is interrupting my enjoyment of the posts on new recruits, etc. 

Siena is irrelevant.  Shoot higher and leave them in the rear view mirror.

15187[/snapback]

Thank you for your opinion.

But, remember, it's just your opinion.

If you don't want to read the opinions here, which is one of the main purposes of this message board, just don't turn your eyes here. It's your option. In the meantime, those of us who profess an interest in this topic should be allowed to post observations and make opinions on it.

You are relatively new to UAlbany basketball, but many of us here on this board have followed UAlbany hoops for decades and decades. First of all, you should be a little more tolerant of the passion we have for UAlbany basketball in general and in the Siena rivalry specifically.

I would hardly call the rivalry irrelevant. The only way it is irrelevant is in the run for an NCAA seed. In the old times until the rivalry ended in 1976 it was easily the most hotly contested local basketball game and generated the greatest interest from the fans. You would not have believed the passion the contests generated before, during, and after the games.

That passion has returned since the renewal of the rivalry. It easily draws more fans for each school than just about any other contest on the schedule. You cannot simply ignore the interest by the fans and the media for this game. It is not artificial, as you term it, when it draws around 10,000 fans per year. If the game were played on a Saturday evening with decent weather, it will attract more than 12,000 fans as each team becomes more highly ranked on the national scene.

I agree with you that this game should not be the sole focus of the team and fans, but you must understand that in the early years of our Division I the game is an outstanding measuring stick for the progress our program has made. Any time you defeat a long-established, tradition-rich team in Siena - or merely come close to victory, the game signifies another step forward in UAlbany's rise.

Yes, we have already established our profile among Siena fans, local college hoop aficionados, and - maybe our greatest challenge - our own students and alumni. In that sense UAlbany men's basketball has already transcended the Siena game with great games against the likes of Vermont, UCLA, Florida, and UConn. We now have other solid measuring sticks with which to compare the development of UAlbany basketball.

But as long as the games are played, the UAlbany-Siena basketball rivalry will continue to measure just how far UAlbany has progressed in Division I hoops.

15188[/snapback]

Fair enough old dog. You state your point well. I would just say that I was 3 in 1976 when, as you admit, "the rivalry ended." Holy Cross used to beat BC in the 50s and early 60s, but that rivalry was rightfully euthanized in football in the early 80s and basketball this year.

I would just suggest we look around and maybe aim a little higher in choosing a rival. It is my hope that Albany reaches a level where Albany-Siena is unthinkable. And my main point is more about the volume of discussion on Siena -- I know I can just skip to the recruiting info, but that would take 4 seconds. Most of the talk is about Siena.