UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

"As the Siena World Turns"

Siena is irrelevant.  Shoot higher and leave them in the rear view mirror.

15187[/snapback]

Siena is irrelevant to us on a national scale. In the local market they are very much a competitor.

Unless you think the students will sell out the RACC for every game of the season, they're competition for the local sports dollar, fans, and media coverage. If the students DO sell out the RACC, they'll be competition for availability of the Pepsi/TUC arena, the only place we can use to increase attendance beyond 4,500/game. Their scheduling ability to block prime dates for their own use will cramp our chances of growing the program beyond the RACC by bringing in better opponents.

There was no mention of them in the recruit threads, only in threads about scheduling and those with their names in the title.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . I would just suggest we look around and maybe aim a little higher in choosing a rival.    It is my hope that Albany reaches a level where Albany-Siena is unthinkable.  And my main point is more about the volume of discussion on Siena -- I know I can just skip to the recruiting info, but that would take 4 seconds.  Most of the talk is about Siena.

15190[/snapback]

Thanks a lot for your opinion again.

You make a good point about some of the redundant and abusive remarks that are made by posters on both sides of this topic.

Sometimes I think UAlbany posters feel a need to repeat their points because some Siena poster make ridiculous observations and opinions and because we continue to find a lack of respect for our program by some of them. We just feel like we are not getting through in our contention that there has been great progress made by the UAlbany basketball program; hence. some of the repetition.

Some of the posts have been downright abusive or wantonly disrespectful. I think that kind of post does not belong here on this forum. For example, Siena Tony accused me a couple months ago of possessing "penis envy." You will notice that I made it a point not to respond to his post. If these remarks have turned you off to this discussion, then you will find your opinion very much resonating with me and others here. The great majority of people on this forum have presented easily demonstrable facts and well-grounded opinions.

The fact that most posters make great contributions with their solid information and/or opinions and do so in a respectful manner makes this site invaluable to people who want to know more about all aspects UAlbany athletics and/or are willing to share their insights with other like-minded posters.

. . . I would just suggest we look around and maybe aim a little higher in choosing a rival.    It is my hope that Albany reaches a level where Albany-Siena is unthinkable.  And my main point is more about the volume of discussion on Siena -- I know I can just skip to the recruiting info, but that would take 4 seconds.  Most of the talk is about Siena.

15190[/snapback]

You make a good point also about recruiting. Let me make my one observation here on this topic.

I have made many of my posts here on this basketball forum on the Siena issue. Why do I do this? The simple answer is that I know more about this issue than many other topics. I make comments because this is an area where I feel I can make a worthwhile contribution. I suspect that many other posters here feel the same way.

Why don't I make as many comments about recruiting, for example? It's simple. I'm not privy to as much information on this topic. I can choose two ways to respond to this type of information on this forum.

I can ignore it, sort of the way statefan once described the nature of his posts. He's unwilling to make comments on many topics unless he has some unique comment or information to share with us. (Forgive me, statefan, if I am putting the wrong words in your mouth.) He doesn't envision his role as a rah-rah cheerleader.

Or I can take on the cheerleader role, which I and others do occasionally here. Sometimes that tack might be valuable on this forum.

By the way, I am really impressed with the way Brown is handling recruiting. He is bringing in some solid recruits in next year's class. But he doesn't stop there. He already has a huge start on the new players for 2007-08 season while other coaches still don't have next season taken care of. Positive comments on the AE board about Brown's recruiting efforts demonstrate the respect he has engendered from knowledgeable fans from other AE schools.

Just because some of us older posters here seem focused on the Siena topic doesn't mean that we are neglecting the other aspects of our program. I think the great majority of UAlbany posters here are very impressed with the direction our program is taking next year and beyond. We are a forward-looking lot.

15190[/snapback]

You make a good point also about recruiting. Let me make my one observation here on this topic.

I have made many of my posts here on this basketball forum on the Siena issue. Why do I do this? The simple answer is that I know more about this issue than many other topics. I make comments because this is an area where I feel I can make a worthwhile contribution. I suspect that many other posters here feel the same way.

Why don't I make as many comments about recruiting, for example? It's simple. I'm not privy to as much information on this topic. I can choose two ways to respond to this type of information on this forum.

I can ignore it, sort of the way statefan once described the nature of his posts. He's unwilling to make comments on many topics unless he has some unique comment or information to share with us. (Forgive me, statefan, if I am putting the wrong words in your mouth.) He doesn't envision his role as a rah-rah cheerleader.

Or I can take on the cheerleader role, which I and others do occasionally here. Sometimes that tack might be valuable on this forum.

By the way, I am really impressed with the way Brown is handling recruiting. He is bringing in some solid recruits in next year's class. But he doesn't stop there. He already has a huge start on the new players for 2007-08 season while other coaches still don't have next season taken care of. Positive comments on the AE board about Brown's recruiting efforts demonstrate the respect he has engendered from knowledgeable fans from other AE schools.

Just because some of us older posters here seem focused on the Siena topic doesn't mean that we are neglecting the other aspects of our program. I think the great majority of UAlbany posters here are very impressed with the direction our program is taking next year and beyond. We are a forward-looking lot.

15193[/snapback]

Good points all olddog. I am just trying to help the collective get out of the evident little brother syndrome that seems to exist, and doesn't need to anymore. There is a collective lack of self confidence on our side, manifesting itself in a need to be acknowledged as successful by the Siena fans, combined with a real fear from the Siena fans that their program is sliding into second faster than the British Empire after WWII. Seems petty.

twballgame9 - glad to see your support and interest in UA Hoop but please let the individuals react to Siena the way we want.

This board is not run with the dictatorial conformist methods of a Siena Tony type board.

For some it may be boring and for some it may be fun, each to their own!!!

twballgame9 - glad to see your support and interest in UA Hoop but please let the individuals react to Siena the way we want.

This board is not run with the dictatorial conformist methods of a Siena Tony type board.

For some it may be boring and for some it may be fun, each to their own!!!

15195[/snapback]

I am not suggesting censorship. I am suggesting that the insecurity about Siena accepting us is unnecessary.

Let's talk about UConn and the legit shot we have to beat that team in a rebuilding year.

I am not suggesting censorship.  I am suggesting that the insecurity about Siena accepting us is unnecessary.

Let's talk about UConn and the legit shot we have to beat that team in a rebuilding year.

15196[/snapback]

Controversies always beget more passionate discussions.

We'll be discussing UConn more as the time for the game comes around, or until UConn fans "discover" us and begin to disrespect us.

In the meantime, enjoy the board for whatever it has to offer. I know I can't wait to log on here multiple times a day.

15195[/snapback]

I am not suggesting censorship. I am suggesting that the insecurity about Siena accepting us is unnecessary.

15196[/snapback]

twballgame9

I agree with much of what you are saying.

I think the day is near when Siena is irrelevant to us in Basketball like they are in all other sports especially football.

However, I don't think that day is here yet.

I also don't think most comments are about insecurity about Siena accepting us. Frankly, I don't really care what they think on their own(board) as long as they are not factually incorrect. But when they come over here with their nonsense I will and do shoot it down. (As do others)

I also don't feel the need like some of our fans do to root for them and I have made that point known probably a little too much.

Also, given their arrogance of their fans it is fun in my opinion to mock them when they mess up as they often do.

I got your back there Bob, there is nothing more that I love then to shoot down the senseless dribble from Siena fans. On some really bad days at work I find myself searching the board for a Siena fans comment knowing that if I read it (and respond as I usually do) I will remember that my life is really not that bad and I really am smarter then I feel at that moment....just remember life could be a lot worse, you could have been raised an $iena fan!!!

From the NY Post......

Mensah, a 6-1 guard who played at Bishop Loughlin, asked for his release from the school last month and has yet to receive it, but the MAAC school sent him a letter last week stating that his scholarship will not be renewed...........Those close to Mensah, including advisor Norm Ostrin, believe that the fact his scholarship isn't being renewed means he has been released. Ostrin's attorney, Michael Rosenblatt, said he hopes to get word from the NCAA as early as tomorrow regarding the issue and that Mensah will learn soon after if and where he will be able to play next........."It's clear (Mensah) has been misled by someone not looking out for his best interest," Siena head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement.

It's just amazing that a kid who doesn't want to stay at Siena must be misguided, anything that happens that is Siena related that could be at all considered negative is never their fault.

They just can't understand why everyone in the world doesn't want to attend Siena, especially with all Siena's inherent advantages.

Some of their fans now say that it's not much of a loss because Kenny H. was/is better anyway and can easily shift to the PG and by doing so even his already solid FG% will probably get better(ie. Siena Tony)

I guess it's called addition by subtraction?

"As the Siena World Turns" don't miss the next exciting edition.

From the NY Post......

Mensah, a 6-1 guard who played at Bishop Loughlin, asked for his release from the school last month and has yet to receive it, but the MAAC school sent him a letter last week stating that his scholarship will not be renewed...........Those close to Mensah, including advisor Norm Ostrin, believe that the fact his scholarship isn't being renewed means he has been released. Ostrin's attorney, Michael Rosenblatt, said he hopes to get word from the NCAA as early as tomorrow regarding the issue and that Mensah will learn soon after if and where he will be able to play next........."It's clear (Mensah) has been misled by someone not looking out for his best interest," Siena head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement.

It's just amazing that a kid who doesn't want to stay at Siena must be misguided, anything that happens that is Siena related that could be at all considered negative is never their fault.

They just can't understand why everyone in the world doesn't want to attend Siena, especially with all Siena's inherent advantages.

Some of their fans now say that it's not much of a loss because Kenny H. was/is better anyway and can easily shift to the PG and by doing so even his already solid FG% will probably get better(ie. Siena Tony)

I guess it's called addition by subtraction?

"As the Siena World Turns" don't miss the next exciting edition.

15255[/snapback]

I haven't posted here in a while, but will offer some additional information on the Kojo situation. The truth of the matter is that McCaffery discovered that Kojo was talking with Duquesne (supposedly through a street agent - see below) a couple/few weeks before Kojo formally asked for his release. When Kojo went into McCaffery's office to ask for the release, Fran told him that he knew about Duquesne and reminded Kojo that "shopping-around", either directly, or through an intermediary violates NCAA rules. Apparently, Kojo was stunned that McCaffery had this information and just got up and walked out of the office - never to be heard from again.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and now we have Siena's imbecile of an AD telling the TU that Siena's not going to release Kojo because "we think" there was tampering. In the same statement, D'Argenio, the moron, states that Siena's not going to pursue a tampering claim with the NCAA. This guy is a serious jackass, who regularly embarasses the school. And, now D'Argenio has succeeded in alienating Siena from all of Brooklyn, as Ostrin (Kojo's "street agent", who supposedly brokered him to Everhart at Duquesne) casts a wide net down here in NYC.

Siena should have quietly granted Kojo a conditional release (no Duquesne, no MAAC) and washed their hands of the kid. Instead, their jerkoff of an AD has created a horribly negative media frenzy, which has made Siena look awful. I would not be at all surprised to see Kojo surface at a Big East school. If the kid had a consistent jumpshot, he could play for anybody.

With respect to UA and Siena, I can't understand all the bad blood with the rivalry. But, I look forward to the game every year. I can't say enough about what a great job Will Brown has done for you guys. This season's game should be interesting...

Indian91 - I'm in full agreement with you! Who does your AD have pictures of????

Siena should have quietly granted Kojo a conditional release (no Duquesne, no MAAC) and washed their hands of the kid. Instead, their jerkoff of an AD has created a horribly negative media frenzy, which has made Siena look awful.

I can only speak for myself in regard to...

With respect to UA and Siena, I can't understand all the bad blood with the rivalry

I really laugh at the whole thing and think it is enjoyable - a rivalry game is good for the Capitol Region.

The only 2 negative feelings I have for Siena comes from.....

1. the condescending back handed compliments which come from some of the lead posters on you website

2. the attitude that Siena is some type of bigtime Mid Major a Gonzaga of the East wannabe. While in reality Siena is a long established program that has struggled for respectability for most of the century we're currently living in.

The Siena/UA game is a great game and 10,000 + should show up regularly if Siena wanted it to be that way. It's their Home facility - they plan the schedule. When they think they have the upperhand they schedule a good date and a good time when the game is in doubt they schedule it at an off time/day.

By the way good post.

Patch,

I agree with just about everything in your post.

The sole area of disagreement comes with the control Siena has over the date of the UAlbany game. I'm just not sure how much leeway the school has over the timing of the game, despite the fact that the venue is at their "home arena."

Other events at the Pepsi/TUC may have preference for the same date.

If so, it's kind of ironic that Siena might not have all the control it boasts over the time during the day the game is played.

I also have some sympathy for Siena in the Mensah affair. I may be from the old school, but I think that when a player signs on for a scholarship to play for a school that he should retain loyalty to the school under almost all circumstances. There are exceptions to the rule, but I don't think this case is one of them.