UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

"Should the Series Continue?" Articles

Two articles in today's Times Union about the future of the UA-Siena game:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...date=11/27/2007

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...date=11/27/2007

The articles seems to suggest that Siena is scared about playing at SEFCU. They know how difficult it would be for them to play at our place. Funny attitude for a team that is supposed to be the "Crown Jewel of the MAAC" and so superior to UA. They're just cowards. Both columnists state that the current deal is grossly unfair to UA.

And speaking of "gross," almost 7,500 tickets have been sold already for this game. The crowd is already 20% larger than what Siena drew for the attractive Stanford, and since UA has already sold its entire allotment of tickets Siena will gross on the remaining tickets to be sold. Something radical needs to change in this arrangement.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me if this quote from this ass is still accurate, this series better not continue. Let him find another team thay is going to play 2 games in 2 years in that building and sell 10,000 tickets each game. IT is not going to happen.

D'Argenio said he understands UAlbany's desire for change but made no commitment to agreeing to any concessions, saying, "I thought the contract was very balanced to begin with."

Hopefully, most of the extra tickets that are being sold through the TUC are being sold to UAlbany supporters...

D'Argenio seems to be cowaring in the corner over the idea of being fair.... and playing UAlbany even/Steven.

He knows in a few years UAlbany will be above and beyond Siena, not even being competitive with us. Therefore, he's milking the situation while it lasts.

It will never be an equal situation.

I say ditch the game... unless the give us half of the TUC, which will never happen.

Better yet, ditch Siena and Let's head on over to a Syracuse, a Boston College, a Connecticut ... and we can take a couple of bus loads over there and make our presence known.

A Siena game is worthless for our basketball program.

Despite the hyperbole on both sides, fans of both teams look forward to this game. Two mid-majors play in front of 10,000 plus people every year. That doesn't happen everywhere. I really don't see how anyone can screw this up but we'll have to wait and see.

Can someone please explain to me D'Argenio's comment about the deal being balanced? I am having trouble even understanding his argument! In other words, can someone explain his claim for me?

Explain that he is a horrible executive...and the statement is Exhibit # 898?

Hey man, could use your analytical mind over on the Siena board.

Can someone please explain to me D'Argenio's comment about the deal being balanced? I am having trouble even understanding his argument! In other words, can someone explain his claim for me?

Explain that he is a horrible executive...and the statement is Exhibit # 898?

Hey man, could use your analytical mind over on the Siena board.

Either the Siena AD is posturing for negotiations, or the delusionism over there is very contagious.

I could not understand or explain that statement either.

I look forward to the game - having traveled 1200 miles each year to attend since the rivalry resumed. I've also traveled to each of our NCAA appearances. If I have to choose one, I'll opt for the latter each time.

We waited 20 years to play them since kicking their ass as only a DI-II mid major in the final meeting - 1977

We've paid our dues. We've become their only draw of consequence. The game needs to come off their season package and be an open seating, equal split event. Anything short of that - pull the game from our schedule. We're headed places they've never been anyway. Continuing the roll of step-child is b.s. Second class citizen status doesn't suit our emerging image well. Screw 'em.

I would miss the game and miss my reunions with long time UA friends but if we can't play on our terms - which are nothing more than fair and equal, we shouldn't play.

And whether we play or don't play - Siena still sucks.

For what it's worth ... by balanced, UAlbany gets basically guarantee money ($30k) without having to travel (or paying for travel) and having a road game close enough that it's fans and students can attend in addition to their home schedule.

Siena gets some financial gains (but not that much compared most home games) plus the numbers help their average attendance, which they can use to try and sell corporate sponsorship.

Both programs benefit from increased local media and public attention. Both bring in decent money for the game.

I am not saying that both sides equally benefit from the arrangements. Both schools have to do what is right for their program. They owe each other nothing. If they can't come to a mutually agreeable solution, the game will go away. (Personally, I hope the contract is renewed as it is fun, as a fan, to follow.)

Good luck to the danes this week and beyond.

Quackman what the heck have you been drinking????

For what it's worth ... by balanced, UAlbany gets basically guarantee money ($30k) without having to travel (or paying for travel) and having a road game close enough that it's fans and students can attend in addition to their home schedule.

Siena gets some financial gains (but not that much compared most home games) plus the numbers help their average attendance, which they can use to try and sell corporate sponsorship.

Are you on freakin drugs???

You just had #20 Stanford in and only sold or gave away just under 6500 seats, you guys have over 6000 seats sold already not counting UA 1600 corner seats. Therefore every single ticket sold from now on gives Siena more money then the Stanford Game. You guys are probably going to get revenue from 5,000 more tickets.

Lets call a good deal a good deal. Anything else is arguable but this is a sweet heart deal for Siena.

Like you I too hope the series is continued.

Maybe you guys should start looking at D'Arg and the Administration. If the TUC is ripping you guys off - but UA shouldn't be used to make up the shafting you're getting from the TUC

Maybe Siena should abandon the TUC and build an Arena on/near their campus (let's say, 6500 seats or less). They have the endowment and cash flow to do so (don't they?).

Only problem with that would be if the Town of Colonie zoning board would allow them to do it. Seeing how said zoning board struck down the erection of lights for their lacrosse field, I have a hard time seeing that they'd sign on to building an on-campus arena. Even if $iena did get the approval from the zoning board, there still is the issue of the vocal, NIMBY-ish, neighbors of $iena and that traffic patterns would have to be improved since getting to/from the games would be a nightmare since Route 9 is only two lanes.

Quackman what the heck have you been drinking????

Are you on freakin drugs???

You just had #20 Stanford in and only sold or gave away just under 6500 seats, you guys have over 6000 seats sold already not counting UA 1600 corner seats. Therefore every single ticket sold from now on gives Siena more money then the Stanford Game. You guys are probably going to get revenue from 5,000 more tickets.

Lets call a good deal a good deal. Anything else is arguable but this is a sweet heart deal for Siena.

Like you I too hope the series is continued.

Maybe you guys should start looking at D'Arg and the Administration. If the TUC is ripping you guys off - but UA shouldn't be used to make up the shafting you're getting from the TUC

In addition there is not another team in the country that Siena could get that would play 2 games out of 2 in their arena for this kind of chump change. It bears repeating that last year Siena - Stanford drew 0 for Siena as opposed to 11,000 for Albany at siena. Do the math, siena has a sweetheart deal here.

Archived