UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

"Should the Series Continue?" Articles

I'm not so sure I believe the Siena fans who say this game doesn't mean so much to them and that they can live without the annual rivalry. I think the following says it all with respect to how important this game is to Siena (and it's important to us as well, and I want to have the annual game continued (on equal terms)):

Siena closes its doors for a week

November 27, 2007 at 1:17 pm by Pete Iorizzo, Staff writer

The Siena men’s basketball team is in lockdown mode this week.

Practices, normally open to anyone who cares to stop in and watch, are closed to everyone, me included.

Players, normally available for interviews before or after practice to any reporter who cares to talk to them, are not permitted to speak after Tuesday.

The open-door policy has been closed, at least temporarily.

This is an unprecedented step under coach Fran McCaffery. In his two-plus years at Siena, I’ve never once been kept from attending a practice. This week, I’m barred from all four, as are the 10 to 15 fans who come to watch most every day.

It’s clear Siena hopes to use the week to sharpen its focus and get back to work. I can respect that.

I also should note my great appreciation for Siena’s openness. It makes my job easier and the coverage better.

I can understand coaches’ wishes to keep distractions to a minimum and — in the general paranoia that pervades all of sports — to be sure no secrets are being stolen.

But it’s a shame this happens in a week when there’s the potential to tell a lot of good stories.

It’s also worth noting that it’s not just Siena closing its doors for most of the week. The University at Albany is limiting player interviews to two days.

Isn’t this rivalry supposed to be fun?

Isn’t this supposed to be “a game for the community,” to quote an oft-recited phrase by officials on both sides?

Maybe I’m missing something.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to continue doing what we've been doing. Keep winning games, going to the tourney and reeling in casual fans hopefully turning them into season ticket holders. Our season ticket holder numbers have been steadily climbing and will continue to do so as we keep putting up W's. Five years ago it wasn't even an argument as to who the big dog was in the local D1 hoops landscape. In that relatively short period of time we've narrowed or completely closed the gap on Siena. If we continue doing things the right way, bring in quality individuals....ie. student athletes, build the new stadium, further increasing our presence in the local sports scene we will continue to out pace Siena. In a prolonged tug of war UA has exponentially more resources then Siena, as long as we keep going about our business with class and integrity Siena will appear further and further in our rear view mirror. While Siena has arguable reached their ceiling UA has much more room to grow as an Athletic Program. I actually enjoy the argument for now, hopefully in another 5-8 years we'll laugh at their little program over there.

Our Hoops program has the potential to --and really already has--- surpassed Siena . Hands down their overall athletic program is not even close to ours. Any superiority is nothing but a delusional mirage in the brain of D'Argenios and the Sienistas.

Can the game. replace them with another game we can bus to.

At what point does siena become embarrassed to play within the empty confines of such a large venue? It's actually pathetic to trot a team out in front of an arena full of either empty or hefty-bagged seats.

They ought to take a moment before the game Saturday and kiss the floor with sincere thanks to the UA faithful for putting asses in an otherwise hollow tomb.

They ought to take a moment before the game Saturday and kiss the floor with sincere thanks to the UA faithful for putting asses in an otherwise hollow tomb.

By asses, of course, you mean their own fans coming to counter us.

You know what's funny? Siena has always been accused on having arrogant fans and some certainly are. However I have never seen a bunch of hating, jealous, arrogant fans then some on this board. What penis envy when it comes to Siena.

You know what's funny? Siena has always been accused on having arrogant fans and some certainly are. However I have never seen a bunch of hating, jealous, arrogant fans then some on this board. What penis envy when it comes to Siena.

Didn't Tony try that "penis envy" crap before we laughed at him for making that stupid comment? Now, I respect Tony to a point but that was a serious lack of judgment on his part and an ill fated comment that still makes me laugh. It's just funny that EmptyS would try to ride his jock strap.

Considering you post on both the Siena board and the sMAAC board I really find that hard to believe. I'm trying to figure out how we can be both arrogant and jealous...

Looking forward to this week ending so we can get back to basketball instead of this kind of garbage.

MTS,

I am speaking only for myself, as most of us always do here.

Why do you think that I would be jealous of Siena's athletic program? UA is not a one-trick pony; Siena resembles far more that type of creature than UA does. I'm not going to illuminate all its successes in its short Division I history nor drag down Siena's; others have done so much better than I can in just the last few days? So why would I be jealous of Siena?

Please take my next words very seriously because I've been around UA and Siena basketball a lot longer than you have been alive. I have followed the two teams for almost 40 years. Back when both teams were on the Division III level, we played annual games. There was no bickering about which team was going to host which Capital District opponent. Things were divided up much more equally back then, so there were far fewer disagreements about the arrangements.

During the years I followed the games, each school's record against each other was just about even. So no team had exclusive bragging rights, but back in those years I noticed a kind of superior attitude among Siena fans about this situation, so the charges UA fans have today about Siena fans goes back a long time. If you understand this history, then you will go a long way to understanding the posts of us UA veterans on this board.

Almost everyone realizes that the current playing arrangements are unfair to UA - regardless of whether he is a UA or a Siena fan. When the current contract ends this week, it is simply time to negotiate a new one that is closer to UA demands. Surely you should understand that UA has legitimate grievances with the current setup; otherwise, it is pretty disingenuous of you to come over here and label us all hateful, jealous, and arrogant.

How does this situation affect you? If I were in your shoes, I would stop the blatant partisanship and step back and look at both sides objectively. If you can take this step, then I think you can much more easily understand the UA side. You will also gain by looking at all disagreements more objectively. Obtaining that perspective is a great life skill.

Dan Murphy said he was told by the TUC today that 8,500 tickets have been sold - 1,000 more than the $iena board reported yesterday.

They're also planning a 'gold-out', so nobody wear those yellow Varsity Club shirts that will be confused with 'aints shirts at long range

Archived