UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

$2.38 billion budget SUNY Budget Proposed

GreatDanes06

Something new I found:

http://www.suny.edu/files/sunynewsfiles/pd...esentation1.pdf

Notice, only 3% of the strategic capital initiative requests related to athletics. That's $75,000,000 if I got it right. No specification as to what campuses requested what (except for the 'Bing article posted earlier in this thread).

Good work tracking this presentation down.

How much was Bingo's request? Kinda makes me nervous because $75M isn't a lot as a grand total when we were asking for $60M. If Bingo and company asked for more than $15M or other SUNY campuses asked for stuff, then we didn't get $60M, which was the goal.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facilities Plan: Maintenance Projects

Athletics 1% of 3.635 Billion = $ 36,350,000

Facilities Plan: Strategic Initiatives

Athletics 3% of 2.5 Billion = $ 75,000,000

Grand Total for Athletics = $ 111,350,000

I would assume that the maintenance projects need to be considered as well.I don't have much SUNY budget analysis experience, but seems to be correct.

One good thing is that what Binghamtion is seeking would probably be categorized as 'Maintenance Projects', seeking upgrades to their existing sports facilities mostly :

quote from Binghamton: " the East Gym -- which houses the university's recreation center -- would get a variety of improvements " ......

I would assume most of the 'athletics' portion of the budget is taken up only by the main University centers.

Buffalo's stadium was renovated in 2005, its arena in 2004..

Stony Brook's new football stadium built in 2002.

Binghamton's new athletic complex built and opening in 2007, its alumni stadium renovated in 2007.

It would appear that they've had their fair share as of late.

Maybe it's Albany's time.

Is $75M the amount budgeted to be spent next year, or the total new obligations to be taken on? If we build a $60M stadium it doesn't get paid cash up front, and they don't put the cash in an account to make payments over the next twenty years.

Even the stadium would probably only start with $42M for the early phases, the later upper decks wouldn't even be on budget until they decide to go ahead with them.

Interesting development

My Questions

Do you know if the University of Albany's athletic funds were included in SUNY's proposed budget sent to

the State for consideration? If so, would you be willing to tell me how much was our final athletic

budget request?

Response

Good afternoon. The ask for the stadium is 60 million dollars along with other capital projects that total in the 200 million dollar range. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays.

My reply:

Is the other 140 million under capital projects earmarked for the athletic department? Was this approved by SUNY and sent to the State?

Much appreciated. Thanks for the great job at UAlbany!

I contemplated that possibility. My conclusion was that the info wouldn't have been offered if it was more important to keep it under the radar. At this point, any discussion on this board is not going to make any difference, never really does. When it comes down to the State deciding on the SUNY budget, they do what they want, regardless of what people discuss on internet boards.

Why would someone offer information if it was better not to.... they wouldn't in this situation. I thought the die hard football fans here might like a small bit of information, as we all have been waiting for quite some time.

This information is already floating around somewhere already. It's public knowledge. The details of the budget will be readily available.

Interesting development

My Questions

Do you know if the University of Albany's athletic funds were included in SUNY's proposed budget sent to

the State for consideration? If so, would you be willing to tell me how much was our final athletic

budget request?

Response

Good afternoon. The ask for the stadium is 60 million dollars along with other capital projects that total in the 200 million dollar range. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays.

My reply:

Is the other 140 million under capital projects earmarked for the athletic department? Was this approved by SUNY and sent to the State?

Much appreciated. Thanks for the great job at UAlbany!

Response:

"Everything has been approved by SUNY and sits on the Governor's desk. Athletics portion is 50 million."

Therefore, 60 million for the stadium and 50 million from the capital project = 110 million for the athletics department.

Response:

"Everything has been approved by SUNY and sits on the Governor's desk. Athletics portion is 50 million."

Therefore, 60 million for the stadium and 50 million from the capital project = 110 million for the athletics department.

That is good news that it was approved by SUNY. Now lets hope the Governor approves it as well. I posted this is another thread but thought it should be posted here as well:

I just sent Gov Spitzer and Lieutenant Gov Paterson emails about the stadium. It probably won't help but it can't hurt. If you have a second you can do the same as well. Here are the links.

Spitzer:

http://161.11.121.121/govemail

Lt. Gov.:

http://161.11.121.121/emailltgov

What we really need is the support of the legislature on this one. I think the Govenor will put it in his budget, but I feel like it is going to be a hot point to for the legislature and the gov to argue about. Its one of those issues that is polarizing (unfortunately).

Interesting development

Response:

There isn't anyone on this board that is going to be surprised that I think that's great. I know we're not out of the woods yet but I'm really stoked at the possibility of UA and SUNY taking a big step forward toward parity with our peers. Great News!. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting development

Response:

There isn't anyone on this board that is going to be surprised that I think that's great. I know we're not out of the woods yet but I'm really stoked at the possibility of UA and SUNY taking a big step forward toward parity with our peers. Great News!. Thanks for sharing.

All i know is if we get the 50mm...plus the 10mm in private...plus the 5mm or so rumored from Albany City-- We should just build the damn thing at 16,000

Interesting development

Response:

All i know is if we get the 50mm...plus the 10mm in private...plus the 5mm or so rumored from Albany City-- We should just build the damn thing at 16,000

Agreed. As long as it doesn't take longer to build. Get it done soon and if that means going a little less capacity for right now, then so be it. So long as its easily expandable in a short turn around later.

Archived