UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State of the State

ATL_DANE

Here are a few ideas from the State of the State that may directly impact our alma mater. I think these are great. I hope it turns into reality and not just talk. The first point hits home being from a multi-generational army family.

--------------------------------------

Among Spitzer's ideas are:

--A legislative proposal to provide a tuition waiver for returning combat veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan at any State University of New York or City University of New York campus. "We owe them the chance to enjoy the freedoms and opportunities at home they have so honorably fought for overseas."

--An endowment of at least $4 billion, which would generate $200 million a year, to fund SUNY and CUNY. That could come from a lease of perhaps 40 years with a private firm to operate the state lottery after making an upfront payment of tens of billions of dollars. The deal, however, would continue to provide about $2.1 billion in revenue for schools with annual growth while creating a $4 billion endowment for higher education. The state would continue to regulate all lottery games and any new games, Francis said.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are a few ideas from the State of the State that may directly impact our alma mater. I think these are great. I hope it turns into reality and not just talk. The first point hits home being from a multi-generational army family.

--A legislative proposal to provide a tuition waiver for returning combat veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan at any State University of New York or City University of New York campus. "We owe them the chance to enjoy the freedoms and opportunities at home they have so honorably fought for overseas."

--An endowment of at least $4 billion, which would generate $200 million a year, to fund SUNY and CUNY. That could come from a lease of perhaps 40 years with a private firm to operate the state lottery after making an upfront payment of tens of billions of dollars. The deal, however, would continue to provide about $2.1 billion in revenue for schools with annual growth while creating a $4 billion endowment for higher education. The state would continue to regulate all lottery games and any new games, Francis said.

I think both are great ideas. The tuition waiver is an excellent social policy idea and I fully support it. That's right hold a press conference Danefan has officially endorsed Sptizer's plan. :rolleyes:

The endowment is also a good idea. Leveraging the lottery system is a good way to get a quick shot in SUNY's a$$. $200 million a year would do wonders for the system as a whole.

Another proposal which I think is great and which didn't make the press release really is the proposal to allow separate SUNY schools to each set their own tuition as they see fit. I think this will really help schools. I'm sorry but there is no way schools of varying sizes and with various offerings should be charging exactly the same amount for tuition.

I think both are great ideas. The tuition waiver is an excellent social policy idea and I fully support it. That's right hold a press conference Danefan has officially endorsed Sptizer's plan. :rolleyes:

The endowment is also a good idea. Leveraging the lottery system is a good way to get a quick shot in SUNY's a$$. $200 million a year would do wonders for the system as a whole.

Another proposal which I think is great and which didn't make the press release really is the proposal to allow separate SUNY schools to each set their own tuition as they see fit. I think this will really help schools. I'm sorry but there is no way schools of varying sizes and with various offerings should be charging exactly the same amount for tuition.

Yes. I agree. Differential tuition makes a lot of sense. If we all think UC is so great then why not follow them? UC Berkley costs a lot more to run than some of the smaller campuses.

You did however see these comments ?

"UB will become an economic engine for Buffalo, and a flagship institution for a world class public university system.

and

We will create a flagship at the other end our state, as well. We will help bring together the University at Stony Brook, and the world renowned Brookhaven and Cold Spring Harbor laboratories."

Does UAlbany seem to have missed the cut? Even Nanotech, which I thought for sure would be a highlight after the Gov's visit on Monday, doesn't get a mention.

You can read the whole State of the State here

http://www.timesunion.com/capitol/graphics/sots2008.pdf

I love the idea of flagships but I feel UA is being left behind here. More evidence that UB is pulling away. I guess SB is the other flagship although there is no mention of that here.

----------------------

"UB will become an economic engine for Buffalo, and a flagship institution for a world class public university system," Spitzer will say in his State of the State address to the Legislature this afternoon. "

"The governor, making a link between the state's economy and the health of the public and private sector universities, said UB over the next decade or so will grow from 29,000 students to 41,000 — including 7,000 students, faculty and staff on a new downtown campus for medicine and health sciences. The university has already purchased six properties near the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus downtown."

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/247469.html

"UB will become an economic engine for Buffalo, and a flagship institution for a world class public university system.

and

We will create a flagship at the other end our state, as well. We will help bring together the University at Stony Brook, and the world renowned Brookhaven and Cold Spring Harbor laboratories."

Does UAlbany seem to have missed the cut? Even Nanotech, which I thought for sure would be a highlight after the Gov's visit on Monday, doesn't get a mention.

No mention of UA at all, it appears we will be second class citizens and play second fiddle to Buffalo and SB. Thats a damn shame!

No mention of UA at all, it appears we will be second class citizens and play second fiddle to Buffalo and SB. Thats a damn shame!

Especially since the evidence says again and again that UA is the superior school to SB. SB taking flagship status will be the precise moment that SUNY jumps the shark because everything is going against it and it really doesn't deserve to be a flagship.

Who would want to give a school that is far-flung for most of the state (geographically) and has a student body makeup that isn't indicative of the state at large (82% "downstater") and give it flagship status? Is there any flagship school in any state university system that fits either profile? Anywhere?

It's time to start to writing some letters, because if Spitzer sells the hometown school for the state capitol short then something is GRAVELY wrong...

and

It is a shame, but in all honesty, its not a surprise to me.

UB makes sense. The western half of NY has almost nothing left. Kodak pretty much destroyed the Rochester area (similar to GE in the Capital Region). For upstate to have any increase in economic vitality, UB has to be the center.

On the other hand, Stony Brook is close enough to NYC for people outside of the tri-state area to think they are actually in the city. NY needs to take advantage of the marketing aspect that the biggest city in the world has to offer.

Now, Albany makes logical sense as the 3rd flagship, but it doesn't appear anyone really considered 3 flagships. And why would they when there's no one at the table fighting for UA? No president = no representation. Plain and simple. You can have all the temporary figure-heads you want, but no one is going to stick their neck on the line for a temporary job.

Does anyone know the contact info for George Phillip (interm president)? I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Pres. Hall used to have a form to send an email to him. I really want to send an email to Phillip asking if he is pushing for flagship status for UA.

Does anyone know the contact info for George Phillip (interm president)? I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Pres. Hall used to have a form to send an email to him. I really want to send an email to Phillip asking if he is pushing for flagship status for UA.

danefan,

Ask him if he was even asked to participate in any discussions. He has probably been treated like a step child and made to eat at the 'kiddie' table.

UA's site lists this e-mail address for the interim president...... presmail@uamail.albany.edu

This is a major disaster for UA and the entire Capitol District. I can't believe people in the area don't realize they're losing out on millions and millions of dollars of investment! UA will be permanently identified as second tier school.

UAlbany is now the safety school if you can't get into the flagship campus!!!

Archived