UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State of the State

ATL_DANE

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UAlbany is now the safety school if you can't get into the flagship campus!!!

Not necessarily. I bid you the following paraphrasing said to me many times by both people from the Buffalo area and Long Islanders who go to/are alumni of UA when asked the question "Why not (UB/SB)?"

"Because (UB/SB) would be too much like high school because too many people I know go there."

This is one strike against both schools, both of which boast a majority who are from within 50 miles of their campus. Also consider that many people WANT to get away from home for college and that would benefit us as well as that UB/SB are still very geographically far-flung for much of the state. Is someone in Plattsburgh more apt to go the 150 miles to UA or go 380ish to SB or 430 to UB?

Spitzer should hold off on making any decisions until Albany has everything in a row. To be honest, would delaying this until Albany had a president (a far, FAR more pressing issue) have been that harmful? Of course, the rest of the state (in particular Westchester/NYC/LI and Western NY) have a "Screw Albany" mindset that also could be a factor in all this... :angry:

My email:

Mr Phillip:

I am a recent graduate (Class of 2004) of UAlbany. I am writing to you in order to determine what the Administration's stance is on the crucial issue of SUNY flagship status. I just finished reading the text of Gov. Spitzer's state of the state address and was, quite frankly, shocked to read the following comments:

"UB will become an economic engine for Buffalo, and a flagship institution for a world class public university system."

and

"We will create a flagship at the other end our state, as well. We will help bring together the University at Stony Brook, and the world renowned Brookhaven and Cold Spring Harbor laboratories."

While these quotes sound great for the SUNY system as a whole, I am disappointed that not once was UAlbany named in the speech or discussed for flagship university status. How is it that one of the states largest and most prestigious university centers, which sits less than 10 minutes from Gov. Spitzer's office, gets left out of such a conversation? How does a school with the world's leading nanotechnology center and one of the state and the nation's top cancer research centers not get recognized as a potential flagship?

What is UAlbany's representation on the NYS Commission on Higher Education? In reviewing the Commission's website I find no UAlbany alums indicated as members. How can UAlbany be considered for anything if we have no representation on such a panel?

Have you participated in any discussion with the Governor or SUNY Board of Trustees regarding potential flagship status? Has anyone represented UAlbany in this matter?

Please excuse my clear angst over this situation, but I, as a graduate of UAlbany, feel being relegated to "second tier" status will be devastating for my alma mater. Please know that I am voicing these concerns to the Governor's office as well.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Go Danes!

just because UB and SB might be made into flagship campuses, it doesn't mean we're going to be put into second tier status and made into safety school. Lets not get too worked up over this.

It absolutely does mean that. Everyone except a school that is officially designated a "flagship" will be second-in-line for everything, including funding. That, my friend, is second tier by definition.

And in case no one could figure it out.....corporate tax work is really slow right after the new year.....hence the reason I am responding to posts so fast. :blush:

Dane Fan is exactly right. Go to any other state and you'll see for yourself. There is the flagship campus(es) and then there is the 2nd tier. This affects funding, status and eventually enrollment. UB will get millions and millions of dollars. UAlbany will be 2nd tier.

Everyone wants to go to the flagship. No one says, "let me go to Jasksonville State instead of U of Florida". You'll won't find one person who will choose Valdosta over Georgia. SUNY will have 2 primary universities. Eventually "SUNY" will be synomous with Buffalo and Stony Brook, just like I don't have to say "Chapel Hill". You know I mean UNC. Tennessee has a lot of campuses but guess which one everyone thinks of and wants to attend?... the flagship!

What states have more then one or two flagships? How common is a 3+ flagship model?

According to Wikipedia, none. A system of more than two flagships would be a brave venture and is probably the best for SUNY given that all four bring different things to the table. However, the plan at hand is so flawed that it isn't funny and that, by design, it would be very unfair to shaft two of the University Centers so a 4-flagship plan might be the only viable solution.

I'm wondering what Binghamton people are thinking of this whole plan. I'd say that Binghamton holds more value to its town than UB holds to Buffalo, but the lack of research expenditures and football would go seriously against them.

The subject matter of what I post herein has basically already been covered, but I thought that I would offer the following e-mail from University of Buffalo's Office of Alumni Relations nonetheless:

This is a very exciting day for our University, our community and our state. In his State of the State address, Governor Spitzer today emphasized higher education, and outlined a bold investment that would propel the University at Buffalo toward the goals we set forth with UB 2020. And the designation of UB as a flagship within the State University of New York will help us become one of the very top public research universities in the nation. (Read the speech now).

The Governor's words come as a much appreciated recognition of what we here at UB already know: that we have an extraordinary faculty and staff, without whom UB 2020 would not exist. This is a moment to reflect on and celebrate all that they have done to set our University on a path toward lasting excellence.

The investment announced today will have a transformative effect on UB, and, thus, a significant impact on the economy of Western New York. We are simply thrilled about the governor's leadership and support. He should know the entire University community stands ready to respond to the vision outlined today.

As the Governor stated, he supports UB 2020. One significant part of the announced investment centers on the growth of our Downtown Campus, with a particular focus on medicine and health sciences. The Governor's announcement opens an intriguing number of possibilities for the University, including eventually moving a significant number of students, faculty, and staff to new facilities in Downtown Buffalo.

UB is committed to building three strong, vibrant campuses within a single university. We are now in the midst of a comprehensive campus planning process that will ultimately determine what UB will look like. I anticipate this will lead to significant growth and enhancement on all three of our campuses. This process already has engaged hundreds of faculty, staff, students, and members of the community. We will continue to work closely with our deans, faculty, and staff to refine these plans as more details become available about the Governor's commitment.

But we have a great deal of work left to do before UB 2020 is implemented successfully. This is a vision that will unfold over the coming decade and a half. We must complete our own campus planning effort. And we must work in partnership with the New York State Legislature to implement this bold vision. Our Western New York delegation has been vocal in their support for UB 2020, and will play a key leadership role in helping UB and our community realize this vision.

Finally, today's announcement is also a fitting testament to the efforts of our UB Believers. Nearly 4,000 of you have joined to make sure that the benefits of our university are known far and wide. If you are not already a Believer, I hope today's news will win you over. Sign up to be a UB Believer now.

Thank you again for your continued support for our university!

John Simpson

President

What states have more then one or two flagships? How common is a 3+ flagship model?

a 4-flagship plan might be the only viable solution.

A four flagship plan is what we have now :-/

I kind of meant four official flagships, but the problem is it's hard to make a case to give any school the shaft. Let's say we have a three-flagship system, which school do you NOT make a flagship? Albany's the state capitol and has all the nanotech money and highly-ranked grad programs, Stony Brook has its proximity to NYC and the med school, Buffalo is valuable to its city and has the highest-flight athletic programs, and Binghamton would be worse off without Binghamton.

If you were in the spot of SUNY and you HAD to pick three flagships, which University Center would be the odd school out? I leave this question to the board, I'll reveal my answer at a future time.

a 4-flagship plan might be the only viable solution.

A four flagship plan is what we have now :-/

I kind of meant four official flagships, but the problem is it's hard to make a case to give any school the shaft. Let's say we have a three-flagship system, which school do you NOT make a flagship? Albany's the state capitol and has all the nanotech money and highly-ranked grad programs, Stony Brook has its proximity to NYC and the med school, Buffalo is valuable to its city and has the highest-flight athletic programs, and Binghamton would be worse off without Binghamton.

If you were in the spot of SUNY and you HAD to pick three flagships, which University Center would be the odd school out? I leave this question to the board, I'll reveal my answer at a future time.

I'd leave out 'Bing as a flagship and develop them more like a William & Mary in Virginia. Make it a smaller school (7000-10,000) aimed at being very selective.

I can not think of a worse day in the history of UAlbany. UAlbany has been demoted from it's peers. It's the loss of revenue, growth and prestige.

I understood why it was done. SUNY needs flagship campuses and four are too many. It just kills me that UAlbany was sacrificed for the sake of the system. I fully expect this will be implemented considering the power and desire from the governor, western New York and Long Island.

The sad thing is the City of Albany, most of the students, faculty and businesses don't even realize what they've lost. Ignorance is bliss.

I don't know if I'd call this the worst day in UA history, but a serious blow has been dealt to our potential and the ceiling has been significantly lowered. Sadly, I think the decision has been in the works for some time and since we don't have a president we were left out of the discussion. The ship has probably sailed and we were not on board.

Archived