UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State of the State

ATL_DANE

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job ATL Dane!

I'm still worried though because in the document that was referenced here that was sent to the Governor with recommendations it stated UB and USB should be the flagships as was origianlly recommended years ago. Isn't that exactly what Spitzer was following when he made his speech? So why should we think he didn't mean to leave UA out?? I guess it doesn't mean that it will happen but I'm not sure the people reporting on this know about the recommendation he was given. Let me know if I'm way off with this.

My email:

Mr Phillip:

I am a recent graduate (Class of 2004) of UAlbany. I am writing to you in order to determine what the Administration's stance is on the crucial issue of SUNY flagship status. I just finished reading the text of Gov. Spitzer's state of the state address and was, quite frankly, shocked to read the following comments:

"UB will become an economic engine for Buffalo, and a flagship institution for a world class public university system."

and

"We will create a flagship at the other end our state, as well. We will help bring together the University at Stony Brook, and the world renowned Brookhaven and Cold Spring Harbor laboratories."

While these quotes sound great for the SUNY system as a whole, I am disappointed that not once was UAlbany named in the speech or discussed for flagship university status. How is it that one of the states largest and most prestigious university centers, which sits less than 10 minutes from Gov. Spitzer's office, gets left out of such a conversation? How does a school with the world's leading nanotechnology center and one of the state and the nation's top cancer research centers not get recognized as a potential flagship?

What is UAlbany's representation on the NYS Commission on Higher Education? In reviewing the Commission's website I find no UAlbany alums indicated as members. How can UAlbany be considered for anything if we have no representation on such a panel?

Have you participated in any discussion with the Governor or SUNY Board of Trustees regarding potential flagship status? Has anyone represented UAlbany in this matter?

Please excuse my clear angst over this situation, but I, as a graduate of UAlbany, feel being relegated to "second tier" status will be devastating for my alma mater. Please know that I am voicing these concerns to the Governor's office as well.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Go Danes!

The only SUNY student on the entire CHE is a UAlbany alum and current UAlbany graduate student.

Great job ATL Dane!

I'm still worried though because in the document that was referenced here that was sent to the Governor with recommendations it stated UB and USB should be the flagships as was origianlly recommended years ago. Isn't that exactly what Spitzer was following when he made his speech? So why should we think he didn't mean to leave UA out?? I guess it doesn't mean that it will happen but I'm not sure the people reporting on this know about the recommendation he was given. Let me know if I'm way off with this.

I agree. We are not out of the woods just yet. There is clearly a lot of confusion about "flagships". The commission recommended that New York set up flagship institutions like Berkley (Cal) and Chapel Hill (UNC). New Yorkers may be confused about flagships but ask anyone outside of New York and we know what that means. It means disproportionate funding and and favorable treatment for 1 or 2 campuses. The media asked the governor whether UAlbany was slighted in anyway. What? I don't care if we're not mentioned in the State of the State. What I was concerned about was the government was going to establish a new class of university called the "flagship" and UAlbany wasn't going to be included. I've lived in many states and they all have a favored flagship that get all the goodies and money. If they'll include UAlbany then I think it's great but I'm not going to sit back and watch UAlbany get turned into a second tier school.

Here's the question. What did Spitzer mean by flagship?

1) A general term with no specific meaning. His thrust was just about jump starting Buffalo's economy by increasing the size of UB. I don't think that's what UB is expecting? I'm not sure how SBU fits into jump starting Up State.

2) What the commission recommended. What you see in every state. A politically favored, large state university. The most prestigious campus in the system. Texas at Austin, Wisconsin at Madison, Georgia at Athens, Cal at Berkey.

Why couldn't the media ask the above question instead of asking why we were slighted or insulted? That's not the question.

I just sent an email out to Canestrari, Jennings, Spitzer, and Bruno. Hopefully there eyes will open. Big props to you ATL Dane , you are the man.

When the Commission released their report, I too sent out emails to these people. Maybe we had enough people respond that it opened some eyes and ears.

From the News 10 story:

"UAlbany issued a statement Thursday night, expressing complete confidence in the governor's plans."

Anybody seen that statement?

I wanted to see that statement as well.

Great work Atl Dane - very well presented, and hell of a job getting your words out in the media !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just heard from someone 'in the know' who states:

"Gov. Spitzer has gone on record as saying we have 4 flagship institutions."

That's great news!

Glad they decided not to vote us off the island :D

I'll take a wait and see approach.....I need to hear something to the effect from the 'horses mouth' or at least a reputable media source. Not intended as a slight uofalbany! I hope your source has it right though.

I'll take a wait and see approach.....I need to hear something to the effect from the 'horses mouth' or at least a reputable media source. Not intended as a slight uofalbany! I hope your source has it right though.

I hear you. I'm a "show me" kinda guy.

I heard the governor's budget comes out Tuesday, 1/22/08. Can anyone get a copy and see if the stadium is in there? I can't just sit back. I gotta know.

I hear you. I'm a "show me" kinda guy.

I heard the governor's budget comes out Tuesday, 1/22/08. Can anyone get a copy and see if the stadium is in there? I can't just sit back. I gotta know.

No one has a copy...but we will know Wed morning whether or not we made the cut. I have heard we HAVE.

Archived