UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Flagship Update

ATL_DANE

Maybe this will a good time to speak with legislators about the "flagship" issue:

Advocate for UAlbany

You’re invited to join faculty, staff, students, alumni and the Capital Region Legislative Delegation as we rally to advocate for UAlbany on UAlbany Day, March 18. Share our story with legislators at a reception, 4:30-6:30 p.m., at the Empire State Plaza, Albany Room. Bus transportation will be available from Collins Circle 3:45-5:30 p.m. and returning after the event. Click here to register or call (518) 442-5373 to register or receive more information. RSVP by March 16.

They should get on it and actually contact offices ASAP... that's close to the budget time, and if they want to actually get meetings with legislators they need to make appointments early.. just my little two cents.

EDIT TO ADD: http://www.albany.edu/studentaffairs/docs/ualbany_day_08.pdf

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent to all UA Students today...

"To the University at Albany Community:

At a time when the University at Albany is reaching new heights in

academics, research and athletics, there have been efforts by some to

promote restructuring SUNY to make Buffalo and Stony Brook the system's

two flagships.

Many of you have rightly expressed concerns about the negative impact

this would have on our campus and I have shared our mutual concerns with

our state lawmakers and SUNY officials. I have been informed on numerous

occasions that UAlbany will continue to be one of SUNY's four University

research centers or flagships. I have no reason to believe this will not

be the case.

However, this is a time of serious state budget challenges, which

includes a proposed two-and-a-half percent cut in the SUNY System

overall operating budget. As you know, it is a very competitive

landscape for higher education and we must advocate for the resources

necessary to advance our agenda and to remain competitive on a national

and international level

I am asking you to join me on March 18th at the State Capitol for

UAlbany Day to help promote the University's academic, research, and

extracurricular success, and to showcase how our mission contributes

immeasurably to the economic, intellectual, and cultural fabric of the

greater Capital Region and beyond. We need you to help tell our story at

UAlbany Day with our public officials, business leaders and community

representatives from the Capital Region. So next Tuesday, please join

UAlbany students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends at a rally and

reception, which will begin at 4:30 p.m. in the Albany Room in the

Concourse of the Empire State Plaza.

Last year UAlbany faculty attracted more than $240 million in research

and development funding ranking us sixth in the state of top research

universities. We generated more research and development funding than

Stony Brook and slightly less than Buffalo.

Our strategic location generates distinctive academic strengths in

public policy, criminal justice, social welfare, education and public

health, to name just a few. U.S. News and World Report places 13 UAlbany

graduate programs in the nation's top 25. Our libraries rank among the

nation's top research libraries.

Students who study here are proud of its richly diverse student

population, one of our great strengths and a critical feature of

excellence across higher education. And when our students graduate they

stay connected through a global alumni network of more than 140,000.

Nearly 40,000 reside in the Capital Region holding influential positions

in business and state government.

Our Division I basketball, football, lacrosse and volleyball teams are

competing and winning championships at the national level. UAlbany

continues to be the summer home of the Super Bowl Champion New York

Giants.

And if that's not enough, our College of Nanoscale Science and

Engineering is a global leader in nanotechnology, offering pioneering

education, cutting-edge research, unparalleled resources, and a unique

business model. Through corporate and governmental investments the

college has built the most advanced research facility of its kind at any

University in the world. CNSE and its $4.2 billion Albany Nanotech

complex center have attracted more than 250 global corporate partners

and are transforming and revitalizing the upstate New York economy.

This success is attracting more academically talented students, and this

year, we expect to receive more than 21,000 applications, a record

number, from students competing for 2,350 places in our entering

freshman class.

There are countless other very compelling reasons why investing in

UAlbany contributes to the intellectual, social and economic well-being

of our region, the state and the nation. I hope to see you on UAlbany

Day as we voice our support for and celebrate the success of the

University at Albany.

Sincerely,

George M. Philip

Interim President"

About time-- FINALLY...FINALLY WE GET A STATEMENT THAT THERE:

-have been talks

-is some fear

-we will fight

For awhile there, I thought George Philip was around "just 'cause"-- you know to live, breathe, and go to the bathroom.

Thankfully, HE HAS SHOWN SOME LEADERSHIP!

With the impending change in administration today's TU editorial takes note of the "flagship" issue

"Is it fair to steer resources to the State University at Buffalo and State University at Stony Brook to turn them into flagship campuses, at the expenses of other SUNY campuses? With Mr. Spitzer's views unclear, where does this leave the issue?"

The full text is here

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=3/12/2008

The Senate passed its budget proposal and the press release on the website doesn't get into too much detail except that:

The Senate strikes, without prejudice, $2.7 billion in capital appropriations which were not itemized, pending agreement on the specific projects to be funded with the appropriations.

http://www.senate.state.ny.us/sws/08-09%20...0Resolution.pdf

So apparently the Senate is going to force the Governor's office to itemize these expenditures which may give us some insight into whether our $$$$ is in there or not.

The Assembly's budget is supposed to be released on Monday.

Assembly Budget:

-no tuiton hikes

-$43 mill operating aid SUNY

-$28 mill operating aid CUNY

-5 year mainatence plan $2.7 billion SUNY (capital)

State University of New York

Critical Maintenance

The Assembly strikes the Executive's one-year appropriation of $550

million and replaces it with an appropriation for a 5-year critical

maintenance plan as follows:

State University of New York Five-Year Critical Maintenance Plan

Albany ....................................... 168,775,000

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=C01369&sh=t

------------------------------

543 12803-06-8

STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK

CAPITAL PROJECTS - REAPPROPRIATIONS 2008-09

1 (thousands of dollars)

2 Albany

3 Nanotechnology Research Facility

4 and Equipment for the Interna-

5 tional Venture for Nanotech-

6 nology (INVENT). Notwithstand-

7 ing any provision of law to

8 the contrary, the state

9 university construction fund

10 is hereby authorized to enter

11 into a service agreement to

12 transfer up to $75,000,000 in

13 state university capital

14 construction funds to the

15 Fuller road management corpo-

16 ration, pursuant to appropri-

17 ation, for the construction of

18 a nanotechnology research

19 facility and equipment for the

20 international venture for

21 nanotechnology on the univer-

22 sity at Albany campus. Fuller

23 road management corporation is

24 authorized to construct such

25 facility using funds trans-

26 ferred from the state univer-

27 sity construction fund to

28 Fuller road management corpo-

29 ration, and other funds avail-

30 able to Fuller road management

31 corporation, pursuant to the

32 terms of an executed lease

33 agreement with the state

34 university of New York trus-

35 tees as authorized by chapter

36 643 of the laws of 1997 ....... 75,000

37 East Campus Cancer Research

38 Bldg/Equipment School of

39 Public Health Expansion.

40 Notwithstanding any inconsist-

41 ent provision of law to the

42 contrary, the state university

43 construction fund is hereby

44 authorized to enter into a

45 service agreement to transfer

46 up to $25,000,000 in state

47 university capital

48 construction funds to the

49 university of Albany founda-

50 tion or its designee for

51 construction of a cancer

52 research center at the east

544 12803-06-8

1 campus and equipment and

2 infrastructure for the school

3 of public health expansion,

4 pursuant to appropriation

5 therefor ...................... 25,000

6 Life Sciences Bldg Equipment ...... 14,000

7 New Entry/Admissions Bldg

8 Equipment ....................... 3,500

9 New Entry/Admissions Bldg

10 Site/Plaza Improvements ......... 5,000

11 Life Sciences Bldg

12 Complete Shelled Wing ........... 2,000

13 Brubacher Hall .................... 1,000

----------------------------

26 Project Schedule

27 PROJECT AMOUNT

28 --------------------------------------------

29 (thousands of dollars)

30 Albany

31 Renovate Husted Hall .............. 15,000

32 Rehabilitate Power Plant,

33 Phase I .......................... 5,500

34 Uptown Campus - Electric

35 Repairs, Phase ................... 6,000

36 Mechanical/electrical Up-

37 grades - Various Buildings ....... 1,471

38 Rehab Heating Plant, Phase

39 II ............................... 1,200

40 Roof/Canopy/Column Repairs

41 - Various Buildings .............. 2,100

42 Uptown Power Plant - Re-

43 pair/Replace Boilers ............. 2,300

44 Uptown Exterior Rehabs -

45 Various Buildings ................ 2,000

46 Rehab Campus Roads and Park-

47 ing Areas ........................ 6,000

48 Podium Deck/Canopy Repair -

49 Various Buildings ................ 2,900

50 Uptown Sewer, Storm System

548 12803-06-8

1 Upgrades ......................... 4,500

2 Lecture Center Renovation -

3 Mech Systems ..................... 5,686

4 State and Indian Quad Dining

5 Room Renovations ................. 7,000

6 Construct Electric Substation ...... 3,000

7 Campus-wide Projects, In-

8 cluding Division I Light-

9 ing/Finishes Upgrades ........... 14,192

10 --------------

11 78,849

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09803&sh=t

Constantine resigns, let's hope it's accepted School's out for Spitzer education adviser

Another letter to the T-U from Warren Roberts :angry2: though not as bad as his usual rants Flagship campuses must have high standards

What happened with UAlbany day on Tuesday? I've had a cold and couldn't make it, but there's been no report on it anywhere. Did the governors' resignation/inauguration cause it to be postponed?

What happened with UAlbany day on Tuesday? I've had a cold and couldn't make it, but there's been no report on it anywhere. Did the governors' resignation/inauguration cause it to be postponed?

UA Day was fine. The Albany Room where it was located was double booked by managagement (which doesn't shock me, my past experiences working with the Albany Room ppl are a pain) and UA was screwed and had to have it out in the Liberty Cafe so everything was scrunched together, but alot of people showed up. Assembly Members that I remember seeing: Canestrari, Tobacco, Zebrowski, T. Gordon, N.Perry, Reilly, Weprin, (maybe Tedisco and McEneny) As for Senators I'm not too sure. Alot of students came, many of the men's BB team as well, seemed like a great turnout.

On a side note... assemblymember P. River has mentioned concerns over certain people leaving (as UA72 mentioned) and the flagship issue/endowment. He is from the Bronx and hasn't mention which school he thinks would be good, but that he believes there should be one, and an fyi from him http://chronicle.com/news/article/4140/ber...fessor-poaching

Not particularly critical to the current thread topic, but relevant nonetheless. I rec'd this email from the UB Alumni Association yesterday:

Ever since UB 2020 was launched four years ago, and with the addition of UB Believers last summer, steady progress has been made toward fulfilling the goals of the university’s strategic growth plan.

We have engaged many constituencies, particularly alumni, to enhance their understanding of how they can strengthen UB and contribute to the economic revitalization of the region and the state. We are fortunate to have broad support of alumni and friends, the community, regional business leaders, legislators and a broad array of other officials in Albany.

Recent changes in the executive leadership of New York State neither deter our vision nor our plans. In his prior visits to UB, and throughout his career in the New York State Senate, Governor Paterson has shown a great interest in UB, in SUNY and in issues of public higher education. We look forward to working with his administration to promote UB 2020 and our collective aspirations for UB, and we thank you for your continued support.

UA Day was fine. The Albany Room where it was located was double booked by managagement (which doesn't shock me, my past experiences working with the Albany Room ppl are a pain) and UA was screwed and had to have it out in the Liberty Cafe so everything was scrunched together, but alot of people showed up. Assembly Members that I remember seeing: Canestrari, Tobacco, Zebrowski, T. Gordon, N.Perry, Reilly, Weprin, (maybe Tedisco and McEneny) As for Senators I'm not too sure. Alot of students came, many of the men's BB team as well, seemed like a great turnout.

On a side note... assemblymember P. River has mentioned concerns over certain people leaving (as UA72 mentioned) and the flagship issue/endowment. He is from the Bronx and hasn't mention which school he thinks would be good, but that he believes there should be one, and an fyi from him http://chronicle.com/news/article/4140/ber...fessor-poaching

I attended UAlbany Day. I'm down to my last two weeks working in the Capitol District so I thought I'd leave work early and drive over to support the alma mater. I'm thinking of taking a local position in Atlanta so I probably won't be back until we build a football stadium. That will bring me back.

I can confirm that Rep Tobacco, Rep Zebrowski, Sen McEneny, Sen Breslin, Major Jensen and Rep Farley were present. I saw them for myself. President Philip thanked Canestrani, Tedisco and Bruno although they could not be present. He said they were working on the budget... hopefully adding funding for a stadium!

It was a good turn out and I think the university is trying hard. I was disappointed that I saw mostly administration and students. I guess the 40,000 or so alumni in the area couldn't be bothered? The event was very upbeat. There were a lot of freebees, food and drinks. I had the opportunity to thank the basketball team for their efforts this year. I spoke to an attendee that felt confident about the new business building getting funding, although ground breaking would take more than a year. Who knows, right?

This same attendee thought that Spitzer's departure killed the flagship bullsh*t. Spitzer was a bully and it seems clear to me everyone was scared of him because people started speaking up only after Spitzer was gone. Anyway... I digress. I was very happy to see a lot of the speakers (every elected official) make mention of the flagship including President Philip. The first elected offical started us off with a statement that there is only one flagship and that's the University at Albany... that's almost a quote.

McElroy and Coach Ford were also present. I didn't ask them about the stadium... I wish I had but I feel bad harping on it to them. Instead I told Dean Leonard that we needed a stadium... hah ha, he probably was thinking why is he telling me this? I was surrounded by politicians and I talk to the Dean... what am I thinking?

Long story, short. Great vibe. Great turnout. Alumni need to start attending in greater numbers.

Glad you attended! I might have to follow you down to ATL sometime..my love for the Braves rivals my love for the Danes!

Canestrari eventually did show up and speak..I think around 5:30/45-ish? Sounded generally supportive saying it was great to see so much purple and gold after all the green this week. Said he was happy to have the Assembly budget include '5 of the 7' projects and that they'll do what they can to make sure those stay in the final version.

Great turn out..it was packed.

Not particularly critical to the current thread topic, but relevant nonetheless. I rec'd this email from the UB Alumni Association yesterday:

Ever since UB 2020 was launched four years ago, and with the addition of UB Believers last summer, steady progress has been made toward fulfilling the goals of the university’s strategic growth plan.

We have engaged many constituencies, particularly alumni, to enhance their understanding of how they can strengthen UB and contribute to the economic revitalization of the region and the state. We are fortunate to have broad support of alumni and friends, the community, regional business leaders, legislators and a broad array of other officials in Albany.

Recent changes in the executive leadership of New York State neither deter our vision nor our plans. In his prior visits to UB, and throughout his career in the New York State Senate, Governor Paterson has shown a great interest in UB, in SUNY and in issues of public higher education. We look forward to working with his administration to promote UB 2020 and our collective aspirations for UB, and we thank you for your continued support.

The feeling I got from UAlbany Day is that the "flagship" proposal is dead or dying. People feel comfortable speaking out against it. UB isn't going to win that one... just my opinion. I don't have any animosity to UB or their UB2020 plan as long as they don't try to screw UA in the process. They may continue to get disproportionate funding but they lost their biggest cheerleader (Spitzer). UA needs to learn from this close call and put together a strategic plan for themselves. UA2020? Growth, Growth Growth. That's what we need.

Archived