UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NY economy...

reeder

I'm really bored. Work has been slow this week (first week all year). So I've been searching for stadiums that might fit University Field.

I think I finally found one:

Norfolk State's Dick Price Stadium. Its not nearly as flashy as the rendering we've seen, but I think it would be really nice if it was new and purple and gold!

Norfolk_aerial.jpg

This stadium seats 30,000 as is which is clearly way too big. But it shows that it could hold enough.

Build the home section on the side of the Science Library and leave make the current home side the visitors side and do not touch it yet. If you don't build the end-zone seating yet I bet it would seat 15,000.

I'd personally like to move the track somewhere else, but who knows when that could happen. I'd hate to stifle what is becoming a very good track program.

This stadium was built in 1997 for $12.2 million. I would have to imagine that UA could build a 15,000 seat version of this for under $15 million. That seems like a much more manageable number to get state funding for then $35 million. Doesn't it?

Does there come a point where UA is holding out for the best for too long and missing other opportunities to do something suitable?

Just throwing it out there. Don't kill me please.

Where the hell would we be, without BPF posters like you, that get and keep the blood pumping wildly through the veins.

Thanks for the intensity danefan!

I love the idea of having a brand new stadium on the site of the present soccer fields... and having the present university field getting revamped to look like a miniature stadium for soccer and track.

But, we need something substantial and we need it now. If it's adding to the 3 naked sides of university field, then so be it. I guess I'd be all for it, if funding gets shot down this coming budget, there aren't possibilities in getting a low interest loan, or some other funding source to begin building the new stadium immediately. There arises the question, how much stadium fund money do we have right NOW?

I would imagine with the football field already existing, and with the current stands that could be used for the visitors side, that the effort and costs in building prep and actual building would be substanitally less, but then again, what the hell do I know.

I'm dying to know what our fall back plans are.... and what the fall back plan options are..

I would have to assume that your stated idea could be one of them.

We could even build what we can at university field, and continue requesting for funding for a brand new stadium complex.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local lawmakers react to Paterson's warning of economic crisis

In the midst of what should have been a happy announcement---the dedication of a site for a 54 million dollar new school of business at UAlbany---Governor David Paterson's grim warning on a state economic crisis hung like a cloud.....read more

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/warning_125...mic_crisis.html

I have to agree with Danefan. That crappy high school field has to go... and go right now. Its a complete embarrassment and is hindering our advancement to full FCS football. Full scholly FCS is the minimum level at which an 18,000 student state university should be competing at. If we can't get a Stony Brook or Buffalo type stadium, then build up university field. Anything beats what we have.

Just do something for god's sake.

I disagree with upgrading University field. It would just allow the legislature to delay or cancel the new stadium permanently. We might be hitting the business cycle at a poor time, but it is a cycle.

I strongly agree with alum73....I want a permanent fix not a fix where in 6 or 7 years we go begging again for money.

I'm not advocating for a quick fix. I'm advocating for a fix that will last until we're averaging 15,000-20,000 per game for multiple years. At that point (which IMO may not be for 10-15 years) you'd have to consider a jump up anyway.

This would not be a quick fix. Rather it would be a scaled back version of what was already proposed. Very scaled back.

And take the extra money and ramp up to 63 rides and start saving money to pay someone big bucks when Coach Ford retires.

Economist: N.Y. to bear brunt of likely recession

At a forum on the economy at SUNY's Rockefeller Institute of Government, the head of the SUNY Board of Trustees said the state's higher-education system should be exempted from cuts since it offers the best chance to lead an economic revival.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../810070348/1001

NYU economist: This economic crisis is different

As European and Asian markets dropped Monday along with more losses on Wall Street, the Canadian-born economist said another difference now is that the crisis is "a global situation." She said more bank mergers are likely and agreed with Carl Hayden, chairman of the State University Board of Trustees, that there is a way out of a recession.

"You have to grow your way out of it," Scanlon said.

Hayden faulted Gov. David Paterson's directives to cut the SUNY budget along with other branches of state government, saying the strong focus on education and training energized economies in China and Ireland, for example, and there is now "a massive competition worldwide" for intellectual capital that the United States no longer dominates. He said the state needs economic diversification and has come to rely too much on Wall Street.

"The future belongs to those who best create, nurture and commercialize intellectual capital," Hayden said. "You can't cut your way out of a recession."

Hayden pointed to the $1 billion investment in the SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering in Albany that has resulted in cutting-edge research and 3,000 high-technology jobs, including 1,000 researchers representing 250 companies.

Instead of cutting funding for higher education and research, he said the state should remove restrictions on the ways the universities engage in "mixed use activities," where they can sell, lease or make other beneficial arrangements with their property without first having to get slow approvals from the attorney general and state comptroller.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/new...0,3342619.story

At a forum on the economy at SUNY's Rockefeller Institute of Government, the head of the SUNY Board of Trustees said the state's higher-education system should be exempted from cuts since it offers the best chance to lead an economic revival.

As European and Asian markets dropped Monday along with more losses on Wall Street, the Canadian-born economist said another difference now is that the crisis is "a global situation." She said more bank mergers are likely and agreed with Carl Hayden, chairman of the State University Board of Trustees, that there is a way out of a recession.

Hayden faulted Gov. David Paterson's directives to cut the SUNY budget along with other branches of state government, saying the strong focus on education and training energized economies in China and Ireland, for example, and there is now "a massive competition worldwide" for intellectual capital that the United States no longer dominates. He said the state needs economic diversification and has come to rely too much on Wall Street.

"The future belongs to those who best create, nurture and commercialize intellectual capital," Hayden said. "You can't cut your way out of a recession."

Hayden pointed to the $1 billion investment in the SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering in Albany that has resulted in cutting-edge research and 3,000 high-technology jobs, including 1,000 researchers representing 250 companies.

Instead of cutting funding for higher education and research, he said the state should remove restrictions on the ways the universities engage in "mixed use activities," where they can sell, lease or make other beneficial arrangements with their property without first having to get slow approvals from the attorney general and state comptroller.

UB President Simpson brought up many of the same points at UB's annual community address on Sept 24. Reforms are needed, not just for UB2020 but for every campus to reach it's potential. Every administration should come together for this common cause:

Simpson Calls for Reform of State Regulations

• 2 weeks later...

UB President Simpson brought up many of the same points at UB's annual community address on Sept 24. Reforms are needed, not just for UB2020 but for every campus to reach it's potential. Every administration should come together for this common cause:

Simpson Calls for Reform of State Regulations

All of a sudden UB thinks we should come together? Six months ago UB twisted Governor Spitzer into announcing a two flagship system and now we should come together? UB can go to hell. You don't throw Albany under the bus one minute and then ask for unity. UB, to this day, churns out their propaganda about them being a flagship. You can take your UB2020 plan and your SUNY unity pitch and go back to your "flagship". Lesson: Don't burn bridges.

I hope Army cleans your clock this weekend!

I disagree with upgrading University field. It would just allow the legislature to delay or cancel the new stadium permanently. We might be hitting the business cycle at a poor time, but it is a cycle.

I strongly agree with alum73....I want a permanent fix not a fix where in 6 or 7 years we go begging again for money.

Here's a cautionary note on the potential for funding a new stadium in the current economic climate

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stori.../20/story2.html

Maybe Patterson's doom and gloom isn't as bad as we though? Maybe......

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0/NEWS/81020026

Personal income tax collections grew by over 15% over last year.

According to the comptroller's office, general fund revenues from April 1 to Sept. 30 rose $2.8 billion from the same period last year to $29.4 billion. Total receipts were $58 billion, about $536 million below projections.

What is really sounds like is next years budget (2010 budget) will be worse after the effects of this catches up.

Archived