UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Potential Presidents interviewed today

bleedpurple101

English please....

SUNY picks the final president of the 3 names submitted? UA doesn't make that decision?

I could be wrong but the trustees probably just rubber stamp the preferred candidate, I'm sure the search committee gave them a recommendation #1, #2 and #3.

Does this appointment have to then go to the new chancellor for her approval?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
English please....

SUNY picks the final president of the 3 names submitted? UA doesn't make that decision?

I could be wrong but the trustees probably just rubber stamp the preferred candidate, I'm sure the search committee gave them a recommendation #1, #2 and #3.

Does this appointment have to then go to the new chancellor for her approval?

I believe you are right about the trustees approving the candidate. I think I remember that's how it worked with President Hall.

As for the new chancellor, I don't think she has any say as her term doesn't begin until May. But I may be wrong?

Quicker the better. Lets hope the new President wants to hit the ground running right away. As all of the candidates were coming from higher ed jobs, I wouldn't expect them to start until after the Spring semester anyway though. Right?

• 4 weeks later...
Damn. Looks like Sethna is pulling out as a candidate. I thought he was one of the best candidates. Down to 4.

http://www.times-herald.com/education/Seth...-Georgia-687940

Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't this tactic often used when the candidate has been informed that he is no longer in the running for the job? This looks to me like a face saving measure!

It does look funny on how much in love he is with his university now.

All I can say is....

..... let's hope SUNY doesn't wait too long before making the hire.

We wouldn't want to lose all of the candidates due to a poor SUNY performance.

Damn. Looks like Sethna is pulling out as a candidate. I thought he was one of the best candidates. Down to 4.

http://www.times-herald.com/education/Seth...-Georgia-687940

Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't this tactic often used when the candidate has been informed that he is no longer in the running for the job? This looks to me like a face saving measure!

It could also mean that UA couldn't make an offer that was attractive enough ($$$) to get him to leave.

Any president that says he'd like to stick around for the opening of a new stadium is my kind of guy. I think we really missed a golden opportunity with him.

Any predictions on which of the remaining 4 it is? Growth wise, I like the guy with the medical background. Athletics wise, I like the Nebraska candidate who's spent her fair share ot time in the Michigan Big House.

UAlbany presidential candidate drops out

Beheruz N. Sethna, president of the University of West Georgia, announced on Monday that he was no longer interested in the job and would remain in his current post, according to a report in the Times-Herald newspaper in Georgia.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=781110

......My guess is that the the top two candidates know who they are and those dropping out know they aren't the top two.

Looks like these are the remaining 3 candidates for UAlbany President.

http://www.advancetitan.com/?se=News&s=7565

1) UW-Oshkosh Chancellor Richard Wells

2) David Felten, vice president for research and medical director, Beaumont Hospitals, Royal Oak, Michigan

3) Barbara Couture, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

my money's on Barbara Couture

Since this is a sports board, athletically speaking I would think I would be very happy with her.

As I've said before, I can't imagine a person choosing University of Michigan as her undergraduate institution and then continuing on her graduate studies there and then working at University of Nebraska being someone who doesn't support athletics. How can you attend Michigan and not stop at the Big House at least once? Her resume is dominated by Big 10 and Big 12 schools. Its hard to think of a candidate that has had more exposure to "big time" athletics universities than her. Maybe she'll be the exception but I sure hope not. Our athletics program and our plans be a CAA level program has to be pretty modest in her eyes?

She should be a good candidate and someone the AD can work with well.

"Barbara Couture is Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Professor of English. She is the Chief Academic Officer at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, providing academic leadership for UNL programs in Academic Affairs and working in cooperation with the Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources. She has held the post since Aug. 15, 2004.

At UNL, Couture has shepherded the university's decennial accreditation activities, led an ongoing academic strategic planning exercise, worked to improve undergraduate teaching in a variety of programs including the Initiative for Teaching and Learning Excellence, and championed a number of international initiatives, particularly in China.

She is chair elect of the Executive Committee for the Council on Academic Affairs for the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.

Prior to her UNL appointment, Couture was dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Washington State University in Pullman, a post she assumed in 1998.

She earned a bachelor's degree with high distinction from the University of Michigan (1970) where she also earned master and doctor of arts degrees in English language and literature (1973, 1980). She began her academic career as an assistant professor of English at Wayne State University in Detroit in 1980, was promoted to associate professor, achieved tenure in 1986 and achieved the rank of professor in 1994. At Wayne State, she also served as an associate dean for curriculum in the College of Liberal Arts (1990-91) and associate dean for metropolitan programs and summer sessions in the College of Lifelong Learning (1993-97).

An award-winning writer, Couture received the Outstanding Book Award at the 2000 Conference on College Composition and Communication for "Toward a Phenomenological Rhetoric: Writing, Profession and Altruism." Her publications include six authored/edited books and numerous chapters and articles. Couture also sits on the editorial boards of three academic journals." courtesy: UNL

bcouture.jpg

University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh chancellor Richard Wells has withdrawn his candidacy as a finalist for the presidency of the University at Albany in New York, according to a statement issued by Wells today.In the statement Wells said, “As an experienced chancellor I am contacted on a regular basis and asked to consider potential leadership opportunities. I recently met with representatives of the University at Albany as well as officials of the State University of New York System. However, on Thursday, March 19, I informed the State University of New York System officials of my decision to withdraw my candidacy as a finalist for the presidency of the University at Albany.”Wells did not elaborate on his reasons and was unavailable for further comment.In February reports published by the Times Union of Albany listed Wells as one of five candidates for the university presidency, a 17,000-student SUNY school in the capital city. This week the UWO newspaper The Advance Titan reported one of the final three candidates for the job in Albany had withdrawn but stated Wells was believed to still be a candidate.This is the second time in less than a year that Wells had been a finalist for a post at another school. In April he was a finalist for a chancellor position in Pennsylvania.

Archived