UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next Years OOC Schedule

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would bet that ESPN would pick up the game if it was played during rivalry week instead of in december. Some of the rivalry week games weren't as nationally recognizable as Albany-Siena would be.

Great point....this game would have a much greater chance of getting on TV if it was played as danefan said....during rivalry week.

im pretty sure everyone in the country knows who siena is by now and as for us maybe some remember back to 3 years ago. drawing 13,000+ would be some sort of a good reason to televise it.

I don't know who knows or doesn't know about Siena, but Rock the cape is right on this. The rest of the country could not care less about Siena. In Greensboro where I was last Friday, most people were watching the Wake game, there were a couple of Wisconsin fans and Ohio State fan. This is during the tournament when there are only 4 options and people who wanted to watch the Wake game did not need to go to a sports bar. The only interest in Siena was how it affected their pool. I don't think my experience Friday was out of the ordinary for anywhere outside Albany. Whenever I am outside of Albany I never here anything about that little school.

How do you think it would be during the regular season when there are at least 50 games a night played. How many are really going to watch an Albany-Siena game over their local team and/or conference.

I would bet that ESPN would pick up the game if it was played during rivalry week instead of in december. Some of the rivalry week games weren't as nationally recognizable as Albany-Siena would be.

Great point....this game would have a much greater chance of getting on TV if it was played as danefan said....during rivalry week.

Rivalry week was the second week in February this year.

Niagra vs. Loyola, Evansville vs. Drake, UNC A&T vs. Delaware State were on ESPNU as part of the Rivalry Week coverage this year.

question, does siena view us as much as a rival as we do to them?

Some of their fans will deny it, but it is the game that draws their fans and students like no other regular season game. It even draws at least as many Siena fans as them playing for the ncaa berth. It is the only regular season game they actually try to sell all the seats for instead of putting garbage bags over half of them.

Niagra vs. Loyola, Evansville vs. Drake, UNC A&T vs. Delaware State were on ESPNU as part of the Rivalry Week coverage this year.

The Niagara-Loyola game was part of their regular Friday night maac package that no one watches. Rivalry week is just part of the ESPN hype machine and doesn't mean you are getting any different games than would already be on. I didn't watch any of those games you had listed and if you have the ratings you will find that I was far from the only person.

The Niagara-Loyola game was part of their regular Friday night maac package that no one watches. Rivalry week is just part of the ESPN hype machine and doesn't mean you are getting any different games than would already be on. I didn't watch any of those games you had listed and if you have the ratings you will find that I was far from the only person.

Those games were lableled as Rivalry Week games on the ESPNU schedule.

Yeah and there are a couple of other weeks that they label something else to build up hype. They are mostly the same conferences that are on weekly during the conference season and are only labeled differently that week. I am not sure you point as it pertains to the Albany OOC games.

Yeah and there are a couple of other weeks that they label something else to build up hype. They are mostly the same conferences that are on weekly during the conference season and are only labeled differently that week. I am not sure you point as it pertains to the Albany OOC games.

My point is only in response to someone asking whether the Albany-Siena game could be televised. I said it had more of a chance if it were held during rivalry week than during a random day in December.

If ESPN is willing to televise games such as Evansville vs. Drake and UNC A&T vs. Delaware State, than its likely that the Albany-Siena game would have a chance if presented the right way to ESPN.

There's bound to be a wide array of opinions on OOC scheduling. Everyone has their own, unique perspective.

I have been throwing around names from the best of the best in college basketball. I didn't mean to imply that we should schedule just those types of programs.

Which schools have significant sports related name recognition? Not only in basketball.

Nov 14 at (23) Villanova L 60-78

Nov 17 at DePaul L 64-75

Nov 19 at Bryant W 76-67

Nov 22 Central Conn. St. W 68-67

Nov 25 at Columbia W 66-49

Nov 29 Pennsylvania W 73-63

Dec 1 Bryant W 57-47

Dec 6 at Siena L 64-71

Dec 8 at Lehigh L 64-65

Dec 13 Canisius W 74-46

Dec 20 at Sacred Heart W 60-59

Dec 22 at St. Francis (NY) W 68-56

Dec 30 at Kansas L 43-79

I'd like to see us schedule ooc games with at least colleges and universities with name recognition, ones known and recognized around the country for some significant sort of athletic program success. They don’t necessarily have to be big basketball programs.

I’d favor something like:

3 games versus High Major – Assumed Loss: UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Michigan, Georgetown, UNC, Duke, etc.

3 games versus High Major – Potential Win (when compared to UConn, Pitt, etc.) : DePaul, Rutgers, St Johns, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Oregon, Stanford, Boise State, etc.

4 games versus Mid Major – Potential Win: Temple, Army, Navy, UMass, Bowling Green, Ball State, Georgia Southern, etc.

3 games versus Mid Major –Assumed Win : fill in the blank

The home game versus Boise State at SEFCU is a good example.

How many sports fans around the country know about Boise State? Everyone. Why? Their football program.

So, we have:

Name recognition

Home game

Good chance at a win

My point is only in response to someone asking whether the Albany-Siena game could be televised. I said it had more of a chance if it were held during rivalry week than during a random day in December.

If ESPN is willing to televise games such as Evansville vs. Drake and UNC A&T vs. Delaware State, than its likely that the Albany-Siena game would have a chance if presented the right way to ESPN.

Ironically next year might be the best chance for this game to be televised if Siena looks strong next year and gets the Davidson treatment.

6 BCS teams is a bit much, but I say 3 BCS teams 4 High Mid-Major, Siena, and 4 fill in the blanks.

I don't think it's as easy as that, especially getting a home game from a decent mid to high mid major. Those teams have to WANT to come here. I'm not sure what the answer is but I'd love to get some names on the home slate that would get some people out to the games. I appreciate the fact that we helped Bryant out with a home and home, it hasn't been that long that we've forgotten how it feels to be the new kids on the block but come on...who got excited about Bryant twice...one of them at hom? I'd really love to see a stronger home slate this season if at all possible.

6 BCS teams is a bit much, but I say 3 BCS teams 4 High Mid-Major, Siena, and 4 fill in the blanks.

I don't think it's as easy as that, especially getting a home game from a decent mid to high mid major. Those teams have to WANT to come here. I'm not sure what the answer is but I'd love to get some names on the home slate that would get some people out to the games. I appreciate the fact that we helped Bryant out with a home and home, it hasn't been that long that we've forgotten how it feels to be the new kids on the block but come on...who got excited about Bryant twice...one of them at hom? I'd really love to see a stronger home slate this season if at all possible.

should be interesting to see how the schedule will look. as far as we know dane96 says this coming yr will be the toughest and most exciting schedule we have ever seen

Archived