UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What kind of stadium does $60 million get you?

danefan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dislike the track around football fields....any chance they can relocate the track and get the fans closer to the field...like Hofstra?

Do we know anything about the funding? Has the money been secured or is this something we'll have to run back to the state for?

So do I but at this point we've got a better shot of getting something done if we say its multipurpose.

Goes back to my reasoning on why lacrosse should have never gotten their own game facility. Too late for that though.

Keep in mind that UField upgrades wouldn't be the end-game for a football facility. Just a stop on the road. If you keep the track for now then you kill two birds with one stone. Later on when you go looking for $30 million for a football facility you don't have to also look for another $5 million for a track facility. Its already built.

From what I remember of Fallon Field, a turf field by itself is roughly $800,000, +/- 200K depending on the amount of grading and drainage work necessary.

Costs have come down on field turf since Fallon field was installed. last I saw you could put a field turf field down for about $600,000. But as you said, it all depends on drainage and grading. Replacing an old turf field with a field turf field is cheaper than replacing a grass field.

I wouldn't even mind if they left the grass field for now.

The most important thing is the seating and the track. The field turf can wait IMO.

God, we Dane fans here in Albany don't ask for much---sans wins over Siena every year and conference championships in several sports---but if there is any way you could help us out with our stadium wishes, and if it's your will, we will promise to go to the home games, purchase season tickets, eat lots of dry pulled pork sandwiches, buy lots of raffle tickets for the tennis team, and even welcome Siena and Binghamton fans at our new stadium since you have taught us to love thy neighbor, even if thy neighbor sucks. Obama will be here next week; maybe you can let him see our "field" while flying over, resulting in some grant money to come our way. Just a thought, and please help our football team not turn the ball over 5 times this Saturday, because Coach Ford deserves better; Amen!

(UAMA2K: nothing else has worked; maybe some purple-and-gold prayers might be in order?)

Nice! laugh.gif

They can do stands and local work in less than 6 months if they want.

For the record, I am basing costs and time on an actual RFP for this type of project.

And FWIW, a new track can be poured in less than a month. Say 2 for ours since the entire thing has to be ripped up. Belief it or not, its not regulation distance. laugh.gif

OK - finally found something similar to what I can see as a quick upgrade to UField:

UW-Lacrosse (yes unfortunately we are stuck looking at DIII stadiums) just recently built a 6,200 seat "stadium" (aka set of bleachers), a new track and added a nice press box/luxury suites building.

800px-Veterans_Memorial_Stadium_2009.JPG

I'm still trying to nail down the cost of the stadium itself, but the entire cost of the project was $16 million. However, this included the following things in addition to the stadium:

Significantly redevelop of the surrounding site creating a new women's competition soccer venue, additional field event venues, and multiple student recreation fields. Lighting for the women's soccer field and the student recreation fields was also included. A new student fitness center, football locker room, sports medicine room, and new Hall of Honor was also constructed as part of this project.

I can't imagine the stadium and track were more than $10 million of the project.

Take out the luxury boxes and all of the brick work (unnecessary for us now) and I think you could be looking at less than $8 million.

And the best part about it all: The ENTIRE PROJECT WAS COMPLETED IN LESS THAN ONE YEAR from the groundbreaking.

There are some interesting similarities between the decisions UAlbany faces in football and track facilities and UNC-Charlotte's tough choices on what and where they will build, which have come to the fore the last few days:

New Idea Pitched for Charlotte 49ers Football Home

PDF Doc of Stadium Details

What they think on the Niners Board

Archived