UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Has any Siena Football Players Transferred

From what I understand less than 10 have intents on leaving and the rest are waiting on the Save Siena Football results. 50-60 are directly involved in on-campus support for the group. Did you see the article in the Times-Union? Big rally yesterday and they were granted an audience with the BOT. They were also granted another meeting in two weeks. Apparently the group has raised nearly $200K already (in two weeks time) and need about $200K more to resurrect football immediately.

Wow ... it's like extending life support for another year on a person who is braindead and in extreme pain, but can't communicate their wishes adequately ... and you are the relative(s) that is hanging on to your own feelings and memories, instead of doing what is best for the patient and pulling the plug.

Siena football needs a DNR... Do Not Resuscitate

"At a 4-hour rally Friday that featured music, food, "Save Siena Football" T-shirts and Albany County Comptroller Mike Conners among a peak crowd of about 150, supporters talked about their desire to save Siena football."

They should have sold season tickets at the rally ... you would have upped Siena's total season ticket holders to 175 ...

Get serious for a second ... as a basketball school, you should know that 35-101 isn't even a good 3-point percentage, let alone football winning percentage...

Edited by DaneFan2k3

2k3 said "Get serious for a second ... as a basketball school, you should know that 35-101 isn't even a good 3-point percentage, let alone football winning percentage..."

-------

College sports are not about winning 2k3, it is about offering your students a chance to play.

This is a national story and of grave importance for I-AA.

Again, get serious - it's the chicken or the egg, except with college sports the SPORT comes (exists) first and the student-athletes come second.

It is decidedly so that the sport exists first, then coaches go out and get the football players to come to Siena.

"It's not about winning, it's about offering your students a chance to play" - what a crock. That can't even apply here.

Don't try to make this an issue of "there are X number of students that are coming to Siena anyway that way to play football, but they don't offer it and so they are being denied an opportunity" That's not how it works; that's an out-and-out lie. It's just not the process.

Even at the I-AA level, the athletes are going SOMEwhere to play football, whether its Siena or elsewhere. You will not have someone come to Siena then say "oh geez I can't play football, boo hoo". There are not (many) students who are borderline about playing football and having it is going to sway them to come to Siena. If they are serious, talented I-AA calibur players, they are going to only consider schools that have football to begin with. Anyone who wants to play football will now consider another school. So they won't be YOUR students to NOT offer an opportunity to.

They are going to offer to still honor any money that was issued to the student-athletes already there. They won't recruit any new student-athletes.

It's a no-lose situation for the kids who were playing, as they can either choose to hang them up now and cruise home with the money they were getting but not have to work for it, or they can transfer immediately to another school to play ball. No one is being shut out here.

You strike me, without really knowing you obviously, as the type of person who looks at President Bush's "No Child Left Behind Act" and gives it thunderous applause ... not considering that he didn't fund the mandate at all. So now the states are left in a quandry, becuase the IDEA behind it is great, but he's not backing it with any type of money and the state economies and local school districts are being drained because of it. So the IDEA of having football is great, but since Siena can't or won't fund it ... it's a lame duck. It's dead to me and (pretty much) everyone else.

What good is a program that isn't going to win, isn't going to generate any sort of revenue, and in fact, is going to instead drain money from otherwise necessary and beneficial programs?

Losing a school that was not dedicated to the sport or to funding it properly is not an issue of any "grave" importance to anyone.

In fact, the "grave importance" probably comes in the form of the other student-athletes who were being shortchanged to the tune of $200,000 per year, i.e. your somewhat pathetic non-revenue sports. For being in Division I as long as you have, your record of sending teams to the NCAA Tournament is very shoddy. You just got full-time coaches in most of the non-revenue sports, what, within the last 10 years?, despite being Division I for a significantly longer period of time. $200,000 is (including benefits) probably equivalent to three full-time coaching positions, maybe four, for non-revenue sports.

Perhaps they are the ones being shortchanged my friend. You're blinded by your misplaced loyalties...

Edited by DaneFan2k3

DF2k3, ralph isn't a $iena guy, he's a I-AA football fanatic (over 3,000 posts on the I-AA.org forum).

Ralph, you won't find too many places with LESS sympathy for Siena than this board. They wouldn't schedule Albany when they had a team, they won't play Albany now in lacrosse, baseball or almost anything else except basketball and a few women's sports.

2k3 said: "... What good is a program that isn't going to win, isn't going to generate any sort of revenue, and in fact, is going to instead drain money from otherwise necessary and beneficial programs? ... You're blinded by your misplaced loyalties..."

Siena was not a money losing program, in fact it made money. What do you say now? It was 7-4 just a few years ago. What do you say now? The loyalty is to keep football at colleges that have it, not allow admins to cancel it for no good reason.

BTW, I live in Chicago and you'll not find many supporters of Bush around here.

Ralph...you are usually an intelligent poster on the IAA board. Honestly....you are beating a dead horse. WE HATE SIENA....and everything they stand for....period. Moreover, I dont know where you get your facts, but SIENA FOOTBALL HAS NOT MADE ANY MONEY. They dropped the program only to have a huge infusion from ONE DONOR....who said he would stop donating if the program has been dropped. THEY GET NO FANS.....HENCE NO REVENUE. THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO SELL 40,000 tickets at 10 bucks a pop to break even. They probably average/d 800 people per game over the past 5 years. $iena....UA loses 400k a year on a team that would kick the snot out of SIENA.

... Honestly....you are beating a dead horse.  WE HATE SIENA....and everything they stand for....period.  Moreover, I dont know where you get your facts, but SIENA FOOTBALL HAS NOT MADE ANY MONEY. ...

I know, I know. Sorry if I was a little too strong. I just hate to see football dropped anywhere and this time it apparantly killed the MAAC. The Siena program, according to NCAA numbers, made a profit as recently as 2001. I don't have more recent numbers handy. The big thing this year was a doubled budget due to stuff that maybe shouldn't have been in there. The only reason I posted anything here was the chance that a Siena grad would see it and become aware of their school's football revival push. Again, sorry to post inappropriately.