UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY 2020 Passes

Clickclack

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State of the State - mention of SUNY....

Additional SUNY Challenge Grants

Our SUNY system is a precious New York asset. It has been the great equalizer for the middle class. It has allowed countless New Yorkers from working families to gain equality college education. Last year, we enacted NYSUNY2020, offering challenge grants to SUNY research centers for plans to connect academic excellence and economic development. This year, we will offer SUNY's 60other campuses the ability to compete for three $20 million challenge grants, with $10 million coming from the Executive and $10 from SUNY.I am proud to partner with SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher to make our colleges and universities centers of excellence,innovation, and job creation.

http://www.scribd.co...0506/SOS-Book-1

-Cuomo also mentioned what UA Nanotech did to the Capital Region's economy and how it needs to be a model for Buffalo.

Edited by MsGDG

• 3 months later...

Actually...while it looks that way, it goes to show how behind they really are. Basically, they would be building the end product...while we are building the means to make the end product. You need the thin-wafers to do everything they want to do. So...theoretically, our research would supply the means.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there any video links such as news broadcasts?

They mentioned a new large building new Life Sciences. Is there room for a new building over there? Would we get some land from the Harriman Campus. I just don't recall a lot of space over there.

I love the technology focus but it seems to by a hodge podge of sciences from atmospheric, cycber security, biotech. Diversity is good but it can also lead to a lack of focus. Better to be good at one thing than medicore at many things. Nanotech over general engineering is a perfect example. Why not focus soley on Biotech for this new push?

1) We are one of the best atmospheric sciences labs on the East Coast. NE Doppler has offices at our school

2) Cybersecurity (a field I deal with when we sell our technology) is so new it is great we are focusing on such an area, and it goes hand-hand with Nanotech. It's an offshoot.

3) Biotech is the same; Nanotech and Cybersecurity can work off of Nano; think IRobot and DARPA along with BU's Biotech lab that focuses on Biotech and Photons

Edited by Dane96

Cyber security WILL be a huge field of study and will continue to grow as connected devices increase exponentially. This is our chance to DEFINE what UA will be for decades. Like D96 said...they are building a portfolio of interconnected disciplines. I work in IT in a management role, I attend many conferences and security is on the minds of many if not all businesses. It's a huge concern and there is a concerted push by the industry to secure the absolute lowest common denominator ie. chips and machine code. I see this hand in hand with chip development. There will be a TON of money in patents and such if they do this correctly and if they can manage to spin up majors and masters programs in the same areas.

Edited by Clickclack

UA News Release

They mentioned a new large building new Life Sciences. Is there room for a new building over there? Would we get some land from the Harriman Campus. I just don't recall a lot of space over there.

225,000 sq.ft. is a little larger than the Life Science Research Building. The only space near there (though the T-U says 'west side' of the campus) is between the podium and State (or Indian) Quad. Otherwise you've got to take up parking spaces. Even the Harriman Campus at that point is filled with the State Police Academy, Forensic Lab, and the Emergency Management Office. Only other spots seem to be between State Quad and Washington Ave., or the hilly, wooded area between the Indian Quad parking, sculpture studio, and University Police.

Edited by UAalum72