UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany to build Football Stadium

Ive been told that money in in hand by the leadership in the athletic dept. If its not, that would mean they basically lied. There was no ambiguity...I'm betting funds are in hand but they would rather not discuss it. Just like they don't know where its going...right. someone is playing dumb...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW - Mark McGuire should be the TU Sports Editor.

http://blog.timesunion.com/mcguire/ualbany-football-stadium-if-not-now-when-but-now/12101/

He doesn't even really opine in this blog. Instead he says he needs to think about it and raises a valid point - which is whether the is the right time to build a stadium. He consistently evaluates issues with an open mind and sees both sides of the story. The other writers should take notice.

BTW - Mark McGuire should be the TU Sports Editor.

http://blog.timesunion.com/mcguire/ualbany-football-stadium-if-not-now-when-but-now/12101/

He doesn't even really opine in this blog. Instead he says he needs to think about it and raises a valid point - which is whether the is the right time to build a stadium. He consistently evaluates issues with an open mind and sees both sides of the story. The other writers should take notice.

All the bugs come out of the woodwork now. With all of the naysayers floating around the university, it would

be difficult to feel confident announcing anything concerning an athletic facility. With very little support in

the nys government, anti-athletic sentiment floating around campus and community, and a local albanynewspaper constantly taking swipes at our school, maybe there has been no choice in keeping it lowkey. I'd hate trying to manuever within this system.

The lack of information is what has always been troubling, because it's difficult to make an accurate determination on the situation. It's difficult to determine where to place blame and how much to place!

I smell stadium, and I like it. Tell all the boneheads to take a drive to campus and look at the bleachers and track. Ask em if that's how a major NY state university should represent the state of New York.

BTW - anyone else think the University botched this release big time as I expected.

There should have been a detailed release with the plan and the open issues that addressed all the known issues up front (capital vs. operating budget, etc..) I seem to remember them doing that for the Business School.

Secrecy only works to an extent. At some point you have to lay your cards on the table.

I agree 100% and I have said for a long tome now, that the stadium cannot be built in secret and UA gains nothing by being so oblique. If funding is already arranged as Clack was promised let's have a ceremonial ground breaking and start an OPEN fund raiser for phases II/III. We should be sure to NOT invite the TU (pu more appropriate) nor any of the politicians who "claim" they know nothing. I do not have facebook, but would be happy to debate the issue of stadium with anyone if only UA would open up and announce.

Is the football alumni golf outing this weekend? If so could someone also find out about league affiliation? The NEC contract ran out after last season and I don't remember an announcement of a renewal - are we year-to-year, or in for three, four or five more years?

I'm not on FB and I have clue how to go about doing this, but anyone think its worth starting a "Support the UAlbany Stadium Project" group?

Only if we think there's enough support where you can get enough people to like it. If you only get a few hundred the group may look pitiful and hurt more than help, imho.

I'm not on FB and I have clue how to go about doing this, but anyone think its worth starting a "Support the UAlbany Stadium Project" group?

Only if we think there's enough support where you can get enough people to like it. If you only get a few hundred the group may look pitiful and hurt more than help, imho.

Good point. No way to know either.

Good point. No way to know either.

Hey folks this is our chance to support the cause and join the discussion on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/UAlbanyAlumni/posts/242368082459895

I'm very encouraged by the number of people hitting the blogs supporting this initiative. Keep it going! There is a lot of misinformation, many of the naysayers head right for programs getting cut. danefan's post inevitably follows with what was added, completely negating the silly academic argument.

I hope UA leaderships is reading the blogs and feels encouraged.

I'll do my part. I'm responding to every blog, post or article. I'm hoping a little work here may make the difference this time.

Should we be calling Canestrani too? Two years ago I called his office in support of the cause. I called every darn politician.

I'll do my part. I'm responding to every blog, post or article. I'm hoping a little work here may make the difference this time.

Should we be calling Canestrani too? Two years ago I called his office in support of the cause. I called every darn politician.

I happen to live in Canestrari's district, over the years I've talked to him a number of times about UA and recently I sent another e-mail and might call.

I've started to take an understanding tone on the TU blogs instead of just blasting off on the uninformed.

IMO the naysayers to this project fall into three categories:

1. Uninformed - UA used money saved from cutting French and Theater to build the stadium!; UA has a football team? UA gets 3,000 people a game? They're going to build it on top of my house!, etc... This category also, IMO includes people who haven't the slightest idea how the SUNY budget process works.

2. Anti-UAlbany - I bought my house when it was Albany CC; someone promised at a meeting with 10 people in 1965 that they wouldn't expand EVER!; Students peed on my front lawn, etc...

3. Anti-athletics - The mission of a university is...blah blah

We can easily get people out of the first category of Uninformed by showing their assumptions are false. They may move for the project or they may fall into another of the categories, but IMO, no one should be in Category 1.

Category 2 can be swayed by pointing out the great benefits the Capital Region derives from UA and will from the Stadium. E.g. economic drivers (construction jobs, restaurant/hotel business, etc..); use for community events (high school sports, concerts, etc..)

The third category will never be won over. There are some people that so truly hate athletes and athletic programs in the Higher Ed setting that you will never win them over. There are two people who have commented on the FB page that squarely fit into this category. No point in wasting any time as it also happens to be the least populated category.

Archived