UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany to build Football Stadium

Another prime example of an FCS school building a stadium the right way.

http://www.newhornetstadium.com/

We get a .pdf...unreal! There is absolutely ZERO selling of this project. If you are going to do it quietly then do it, if you are going to put out a .pdf and look for donations etc...THEN SELL THE THING TO THE PUBLIC AND FANS.

Very disappointing

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dane96 - you and I usually agree on most things, but on this we don't.

Take the headline out (editors choice, niot Mark's) and read it again.

I think he's spot on. He's not saying the need isn't there or there aren't enormous benefits. He's not even really saying the school shouldn't spend the money. He's actually not even saying explain it or don't build it.

It's quite the opposite really. He's really just saying the school has incredibly mismanaged the entire project, even down to what should have a joyous announcement. And more importantly, he's saying there are people on the fringe that would come out in droves if the school would just "man up" and stand behind a decision for once.

We've all been saying the same exact thing for 7 years now.

I agree it is time to come out of the closet, proudly announce and PROMOTE the project; in fact I have been saying that for a long time now.

I do not feel we owe the TU anything, but after reading Mark's column (it is a bit ambiguous as several on this blog have found) several times, I think that is all he is trying to say. Announce-Explain-promote-build community.

You know what...I read it again...and I withdraw my anger post. That was a "been up working since 6am" post.

Hey, I think we are all entitled to a quick trigger when it comes to the TU bashing UA.

McGuire has consistently been the most ardent supporter of UA athletics within the TU, even if not the administration.

I read his story last night and again this morning...I gotta say I agree with most of it. That part that spoke to me most was the community building, unifying force that UA Athletics can be for the community if we didn't operate like a CIA cell. Who knows, maybe the school has been bitten so many times they are afraid to say anything...what a shame.

McGuire was on Wyland's radio show this morning. Besides recapping his column, he went on for some time about how much he disagreed with the T-U editorial "a seemingly serviceable stadium", saying how it is dangerous (for coaches exposed to the elements on the gym roof) and not up to even D-III standards; it may not be a good time now for building a stadium, but it wasn't in the 80s, 90s and aughts, and won't be in the teens and 20s either; but the University has to be proactive in selling this; and how the sports can be used not only for tying the city to the school, but also students and alumni who now mostly just take off after they graduate.

McGuire was on Wyland's radio show this morning. Besides recapping his column, he went on for some time about how much he disagreed with the T-U editorial "a seemingly serviceable stadium", saying how it is dangerous (for coaches exposed to the elements on the gym roof) and not up to even D-III standards; it may not be a good time now for building a stadium, but it wasn't in the 80s, 90s and aughts, and won't be in the teens and 20s either; but the University has to be proactive in selling this; and how the sports can be used not only for tying the city to the school, but also students and alumni who now mostly just take off after they graduate.

I can certainly agree that the University should do a better job selling this, I just don't think they need to sell it to the useless.

I can certainly agree that the University should do a better job selling this, I just don't think they need to sell it to the useless.

I don't think they necessarily "need" to sell it to anyone, including the TU, but I think the potential payout would be huge if they sold it to the community. Unfortunately the TU is part of the community.

But its clear they have an ally on TU. Why not open the doors to him?

I don't think they necessarily "need" to sell it to anyone, including the TU, but I think the potential payout would be huge if they sold it to the community. Unfortunately the TU is part of the community.

While the Times useless is part of the community and I agree there is a benefit to selling it to the community, I don't even see the university using other media outlets. Even if you "open doors" for Mark M, there is more they could be doing to sell it to the better media outlets.

While the Times useless is part of the community and I agree there is a benefit to selling it to the community, I don't even see the university using other media outlets. Even if you "open doors" for Mark M, there is more they could be doing to sell it to the better media outlets.

Agreed 100%

They've done absolutely nothing so anything is a step up.

Unless I'm mistaken, even Philip's statement was not a release to the community, but instead an email to the UAlbany Community only. It just got leaked.

Got this email the other day:

"On behalf of Coach Ford and the UAlbany Football family, thank you to all who made it back for the annual football alumni weekend. Congratulations go out to Bruce Dey ’80, Steve Dey ’82, Ed Sellers ’80 and Albany football friend Chuck Hunt for taking home the team title in the golf outing. They edged out a foursome of former Great Dane coaches including Rick Kopp, John Crea, Dennis O’Malley and Gary Reynolds and the group of Anthony Sciarra ’04, James Ducharme ’04, Geir Gudmundsen ’05 and Receivers Coach Eric Evans.

For those who missed the Friday night mixer, Heery & Associates from Atlanta, GA made a power point presentation for the new multi-purpose football facility. The University through the State of New York is investing $15 million to build the new multi-purpose facility, a new track and a new turf recreation field. In conjunction with the presentation, the University announced that we’re $2 million towards our goal of raising $4 million in private dollars for the naming of “Bob Ford Field”. This facility will start with a capacity of 6,000 and has a target completion date of September 2012 with the ability to grow in size and scope as additional funding becomes available. Since the presentation was made, a donor has also stepped forward willing to match all new gifts in, up to a total of $1 million. If you’ve yet to make a gift commitment or are in a position to make another gift, your support is now more important than ever. Pledge commitments can be made over a 4-5 year period.

As this drive continues to move forward, please note Paul Norcross will be taking the lead on all athletic development projects including the push to name “Bob Ford Field”. Paul can be reached by e-mail: pnorcross@uamail.albany.edu or his direct line is: (518) 437-4998. Paul worked previously in athletic development at Syracuse University and brings a wealth of experience in Division I athletics.

In closing, for those that aren’t aware, I’ll be leaving the University in the next couple of days to take a new position with Michigan State University. Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of the “Purple Fam” these past 10 years. - Don Ostrom"

"On behalf of Coach Ford and the UAlbany Football family, thank you to all who made it back for the annual football alumni weekend. Congratulations go out to Bruce Dey ’80, Steve Dey ’82, Ed Sellers ’80 and Albany football friend Chuck Hunt for taking home the team title in the golf outing. They edged out a foursome of former Great Dane coaches including Rick Kopp, John Crea, Dennis O’Malley and Gary Reynolds and the group of Anthony Sciarra ’04, James Ducharme ’04, Geir Gudmundsen ’05 and Receivers Coach Eric Evans.

For those who missed the Friday night mixer, Heery & Associates from Atlanta, GA made a power point presentation for the new multi-purpose football facility. The University through the State of New York is investing $15 million to build the new multi-purpose facility, a new track and a new turf recreation field. In conjunction with the presentation, the University announced that we’re $2 million towards our goal of raising $4 million in private dollars for the naming of “Bob Ford Field”. This facility will start with a capacity of 6,000 and has a target completion date of September 2012 with the ability to grow in size and scope as additional funding becomes available. Since the presentation was made, a donor has also stepped forward willing to match all new gifts in, up to a total of $1 million. If you’ve yet to make a gift commitment or are in a position to make another gift, your support is now more important than ever. Pledge commitments can be made over a 4-5 year period.

As this drive continues to move forward, please note Paul Norcross will be taking the lead on all athletic development projects including the push to name “Bob Ford Field”. Paul can be reached by e-mail: pnorcross@uamail.albany.edu or his direct line is: (518) 437-4998. Paul worked previously in athletic development at Syracuse University and brings a wealth of experience in Division I athletics.

In closing, for those that aren’t aware, I’ll be leaving the University in the next couple of days to take a new position with Michigan State University. Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of the “Purple Fam” these past 10 years. - Don Ostrom"

I am not a football player and I do not golf. So I was not at the event. I have NOT been contacted about a "Bob Ford Field" fund raising project and matching donation. I know if I reach out they will gladly accept my money, but it concerns me that they seem to be still trying to keep the project quiet and even fund raise in secret. I just received my online copy of Alumni news with highlights of fall activities--NO MENTION OF THE STADIUM. I will make a 4/5 year pledge when UA opens up and starts promoting the thing or when I see shovels in the ground. I get a feeling a lot of others feel the same way, and I hope it we do not lose out on a million matching dollars while many are simply waiting to be asked?

Stony Brook's stadium was $22M. We're doing 3 projects for $19M? I'm getting $19 from the email's quote ($15M + $4M). I hope we're not doing this on the cheap. I understand construction costs are down but it can't be that much.

SoCal...14-15 mill is definitely NOT cheap. If you look at other new stadiums of recent years with similar scope and size...we are getting less seating. To me that means the cost for infrastructure is being paid NOW. That...is good. It costs so much less to add physical seating...but the "local work" is the real expense, the infrastructure.

It looks like they are paying $2,500 per seat. You could prob drop that to $1500k a seat if you build the infrastructure now to support that add on. It costs much more to dig and lay pipe, conduits, etc. then it does to buy steel and lay down support for the It is much easier to come up with $1,500 later...than $2500.

To me...we are getting some nice bells and whistles for that cost, adding to that inflation. In short, we are getting 2,000 seats less than SBU...but with inflation...we are getting the same value if not better.

Archived