UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Work continues moving dirt from one pile

fordfield52312004.jpg

to another

fordfield52312005.jpg

Well, there's more to it than that. What you're looking at is the surcharcharging of the site. Wick drains (about 500 of them) are installed and now additional soil is added to help compress the water out of the lower layers of clay. About 10-12ft of additional soil will be added and the site will sit dormant for several months while the soils compress. The metal rods in the photo are the means to measure the compaction over time.

"several months"...ouch, I knew it would take this long but seeing it hurts a little...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching the Dartmouth/Florida rugby game today on NBC. If rugby got popular could Albany use the stadium for rugby? Was rugby part of the "multi sport" consideration for the stadium?

That's why I thought the new rec field would be bigger as that's where rugby currently plays. There is some latitude on the size, so I'm sure it could be used, if they were allowed to use it.

I was watching the Dartmouth/Florida rugby game today on NBC. If rugby got popular could Albany use the stadium for rugby? Was rugby part of the "multi sport" consideration for the stadium?

That's why I thought the new rec field would be bigger as that's where rugby currently plays. There is some latitude on the size, so I'm sure it could be used, if they were allowed to use it.

The stadium venue was designed for both football and soccer with sightlines to accomodate both sports. At no time in the design process was rugby ever brought to the table for consideration.

The rec field was design primarily to accomodate the size requirements for flag football, not sure it could accomodate rugby. Good points.

I thought rugby played on one of the fields south of the new recreation field.

athleticfieldsrepair01-lg.png

Rugby is played on a pitch of about 110 x 75 yards, so if Bob Ford field can hold soccer, it should be be able to accomodate rugby.

The Collegiate Rugby Championships were held at PPL parl in Philadelphia. Home to Philadelphia Union and some FCS football (Delaware played against Nova). Also mentioned as the possible home for Villanova football should the accept the offer to join the Big East.

I see no dimensional reason why rugby couldn't be played at Ford Field. Now, given its club status might preclude it, but I'm sure if Albany Rugby ever drew a large enough crowd they could "persuade" the University to make money.

Surprise surprise...a negative headline referring to a UAlbany revenue opportunity. Interesting from a paper that has paid for naming rights....

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Is-that-name-worth-it-3604738.php

As the University at Albany's new football-soccer stadium rises, officials are figuring out what the value of naming rights might be worth. Many businesses that have attached their name to arenas see untold exposure and goodwill. But at laest one study says the profit value is overrated.

I can't wait to read the whole thing...It will be very interesting to see if Singleas even tries to address the TU owning the naming rights to the Knick.

Edited by danefan

Like usual Singelais writes a totally negative article. Luckily Hearst (CEO of TU and chairman of UA foundation) contradicts Singelais every step of the way. I suppose he has to being the TU has the naming rights and is currently negotiating an extension to the Knickerbocker Arena. I guess you got to give Singelais some props for writing an article that indicates his own firms investment is questionable.

Like usual Singelais writes a totally negative article. Luckily Hearst (CEO of TU and chairman of UA foundation) contradicts Singelais every step of the way. I suppose he has to being the TU has the naming rights and is currently negotiating an extension to the Knickerbocker Arena. I guess you got to give Singelais some props for writing an article that indicates his own firms investment is questionable.

I've done my share of Singelais roasting but in this article...I don't see how he's being negative...maybe it's just me. Seemed like a decent article to me.

I didn't see it as a negative story either. I didn't like the headline but much of the article argues that it is worth the money. I see this as a free advertisement to businesses to remind them of this naming rights opportunity.

Maybe it's just me but reading through the article, I got the distinct impression that the naming rights could be more than TUC or SEFCU. The one Smith College sports economics expert said he didn't "think" it would go for more than $500,000 per year. Well, $500k is nearly twice that of SEFCU and still quite a bit more than TUC.

Any chance they could plow that naming rights cash back into the stadium and do an immediate change order for an expansion? I found a document that was published listing stadium options and one option was for 10,000 permanent seats and it was only $22M. That's only $4M more than what we're spending now ($18M) and possibly not much we would get for naming rights.

Edited by SoCal_Dane