UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Suero Leaving UA

If anyone saw his tweets earlier today it was obvious that he was going...this just confirms it. Bitter pill to swallow...what could have been. The overall talent takes a huge step down on this team, with zero bigs that can operate download and lose the best slasher pure scorer we have ever had. Devastating...hey, at least we can go back to scoring in the low 50's and play defense...*sigh*

Edited by Clickclack

Not sure the timeline but it looks like Santillo asked UA after he saw G's tweet but they said he wasn't leaving. However Santillo posted his story to at least state that Suero tweeted he was leaving.

Here's where he says he is leaving..

https://twitter.com/gerardosuero/status/193413371981340672

Edited by MsGDG

He can thank Santillo for breaking the story. I'm surprised Wilkin allows himself to write about basketball when it's his horse time. I'm a fan of his clearly... <_<

Loved his multiple use of "he's done with UAlbany" </sarcasm>

Edited by madDOG

He can thank Santillo for breaking the story. I'm surprised Wilkin allows himself to write about basketball when it's his horse time. I'm a fan of his clearly... <_<

Loved his use of "he's done with UAlbany" </sarcasm>

He also said on Twitter that he was making a "Big Mistake". Guy doesn't get that he's not paid for his opinion. Report the facts. Hell he said in his blog post that G is leaving to go pro. That's a good assumption but are you really going to report that when neither G nor UA has even stated that? Guy's a joke.

I digress.. back to us losing an amazing player :(

Well this starts the weekend off with a thud. There were some people talking about this on the bus to Hartford which seemed far fetched at the time. I guess they weren't. Disappointed I won't see him for another year. He'll have to make it up to us by being the first UA player to make it to the league...

I am going to go against the trend here and say (my opinion) this move hurts Suero more than it does UA. He is NOT ready for the pro's. He is RAW and for as good as he is, another year of college ball would help him immensely. We all saw the talent last year, but we saw a lot of mistakes and there is much he still needs to learn about the game. If he is leaving for academic reasons (and most believe he is NOT) or if his family is in dire financial need (which I believe they are NOT), than I would be supportive; but otherwise I feel he is making a big mistake.

As for my second point, it obviously hurts to lose his scoring, rebounding and slashing drives. But the team will be solid. We have a strong group coming back and "IF" everyone overcomes the injuries of 2010-2012, we are capable of still of being a better team 2012-13 than last year. I think Hooley will contribute much, I think Paige will surprise a lot of people (he can really shoot the rock) and without G we may get to see more of Gueirre and Gibson (who both seem to get better the more they play). Besides Iati equaled G's 21.5 average over his late season run. I am obviously not saying Jacob is another Suero; but I just do not see the doom and gloom some of you are expressing. Besides some have questioned why the staff was out recruiting when we did not have any scholarships. Well now we know.

Edited by dslyank

I concur with dslyank...I think that this is not a good decision for or by the youngster but we are not left bereft of talent either...while he was amazingly gifted, he also produced a great deal of turnovers and I do not honestly think, given the volume and nature of the to's that we'd have seen demonstrable improvement in his valuing of the basketball if he played another year...while we do lack a dominant guy down low the returnees are all strong and scoring is not gonna be a problem if Logan is back 100% as currently advertised.....so...sad to see Gerardo go and best wishes to him but Go Danes! and unless I miss my guess I think we'll be playing well into March next year despite this loss...