UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

My understanding is they are stopping at CofC unless Davidson does a complete turnaround. And this isnt to Danefan b/c he is familiar with this...but anyone who is reading the "board has to vote still", ignore it. Board Votes are generally rubber stamps. They know the result already...and have informed the CAA.

Either way, this is good for us. Keeps us in a conference where now we can grow the critical infrastructure to build for what I believe is 4-5 year move to the CAA. Sooner if othr things happen.

I don't know why anyone would be hellbent on moving to the CAA right now. As others have said........if JMU and GMU are gone, who exactly does that leave again??? Is Drexel, Hofstra and Northeastern really a better peer group than Stony Brook, UNH and Maine? Do you really want to increase your travel costs to send teams to Charleston, Wilmington, and Williamsburg? Now that Albany (and Stony Brook) has that CAA football membership their pocket........not sure why anyone would want to join the CAA for other sports.

Basketball rules for most Division I schools. The CAA is still light years ahead of the AEast in everything basketball related. If your other non-football sports suffer to some extent, so be it.

Basketball is the only reason for anyone to go to the CAA.

How's that been working out for Delaware, Hofstra, Drexel, Towson and NU? Those 5 have ZERO NCAA appearances since they've joined the CAA.........Vermont has 5 during that same time span.

Yeah...easier to get to the NCAA out of the bottom 5 conference in the AE...in the CAA Vermont at best would have been a mid-pack team. It's all about the type of competition you want...lets face it, the AE has become a disgrace over the last few years. The NEC is kicking the crap out of us...

I'm not all gung-ho to move...it will be more expensive to compete and we should really study the issue to make sure we can be competitive in that league if we are ever offered...I'm 50/50.

Edited by Clickclack

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent points about basketball and the lack of success for recent/new CAA members. That is another reason why I was NOT ecstatic about our football invite. I still feel an enhanced NEC, or a Yankee football only conference, or AmEast adding football would have been a better fit for UA; but of course those options were only hypothetic. I do agree regardless, AmEast somehow needs to improve its basketball reputation.

The CAA basketball schools derive a lot more basketball revenue than anyone in the AEast.

On-court success notwithstanding.

Anyone have the numbers? I'd even venture to say that Delaware got close to or more of a payout in those years by not making the tourney as Vermont did by making the tourney.

Again guys - $$$$$ rules the world. Revenue sports lead the way and always will. On-court/field success is second fiddle to TV money and revenue shares. Even at this level.

Edited by danefan

Excellent points about basketball and the lack of success for recent/new CAA members. That is another reason why I was NOT ecstatic about our football invite. I still feel an enhanced NEC, or a Yankee football only conference, or AmEast adding football would have been a better fit for UA; but of course those options were only hypothetic. I do agree regardless, AmEast somehow needs to improve its basketball reputation.

It would help if Binghamton and UMBC could get out of the gutter..........too bad for too many years now. They both need to get their act together. Same could be said for Maine and UNH, but they've always been pretty bad. No excuses for Binghamton with their facilities and fan support........and UMBC with their location.

I'm really interested to see where the CAA goes from here........if they added Albany and Stony Brook down the road..........that would be 7 ex-America East teams. :blink::rolleyes: I just don't think that pedigree is gonna lift a conference to new heights.

The CAA basketball schools derive a lot more basketball revenue than anyone in the AEast.

On-court success notwithstanding.

Anyone have the numbers? I'd even venture to say that Delaware got close to or more of a payout in those years by not making the tourney as Vermont did by making the tourney.

Again guys - $$$$$ rules the world. Revenue sports lead the way and always will. On-court/field success is second fiddle to TV money and revenue shares. Even at this level.

Yes........more money with VCU and ODU in the conference.........and deep runs by VCU and GMU. We'll see if they sustain that level of revenue from here on out.......... ;)