UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Looks like more changes in college athletics. Maryland and Rutgers to the Big 10. Could this eventually further shake up the mid majors at some point?

I like football in the CAA but basketball and company need a jump higher. Any chance things can go our way and UA gets a full invite to the CAA or we find another home for basketball and company?... Not sure where UA basketball could elevate to other than the CAA?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will likely trickle down to FCS football once the ACC moves. ACC will probably raid the Big East for UCONN and the Big East will then either look to the mid-majors for a school like UMass or to CUSA. If the MAC or CUSA need to backfill, Liberty, App State, Georgia Southern, James Madison are waiting and ready.

• 2 weeks later...

The trickle down is getting closer and closer.

FAU and Middle Tenn State are going from the Sun Belt to CUSA to replace Tulane and East Carolina which left CUSA to go to the Big East to replace Rutgers and the expected departure of Louisville to the ACC.

That leaves two spots open in the Sun Belt for what is likely to be Appalachian State and Georgia Southern (with Liberty and Jacksonville State sitting and hoping).

That may have a ripple down on the Socon if it loses App and GSU, which could lead to defections to the CAA of teams like Furman, Elon, Wofford, etc.

Charleston just voted to go to the CAA.

Dominoes are falling...and the Southern Conf is likely to get smacked. APP and GSU will likely go...Furman, Elon, Wofford to the CAA if I had to guess. We are not going anywhere in the near future...but I am ok with that.

If this goes down like I think...CAA football is just going to be ridiculous.

Charleston just voted to go to the CAA.

Dominoes are falling...and the Southern Conf is likely to get smacked. APP and GSU will likely go...Furman, Elon, Wofford to the CAA if I had to guess. We are not going anywhere in the near future...but I am ok with that.

If this goes down like I think...CAA football is just going to be ridiculous.

Not unexpected. The real question mark for the CAA is still whether JMU leaves. I don't think Delaware is going anywhere anytime soon and no one else in the CAA has real FBS thoughts.

If we keep JMU and gain Wofford, Elon and Furman the league would look like this:

North:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

Rhode Island

UNH

Delaware

Villanova

South:

William & Mary

Towson

Richmond

James Madison

Furman

Wofford

Elon

That's an incredibly good league.

That's odd. What would Monmouth do with its football?

agreed. Can't see them staying in the Northeast for football. Something tells me they are going to push hard for conference switch for football. Not sure where. Just an opinion.

the thing I don't get...these two schools just don't seem like MAAC schools. I see them fitting in the AE, not the MAAC. Quinnipiac maybe, because of the facilities, but even that if a iffy. I just don't know. If true, CCSU should be begging the AE to get in.

Danefan and I have been pretty much on point with conference re-alignment. And frankly, I have some very good sources.

I think this is a crock of dog pooh.

Bryant and Monmouth both would have ZERO football homes unless they were downgrading to the Pioneer, which I highly doubt. The NEC would tell them to piss off if they made the move...there is ZERO leverage for both teams because you have Del State waiting in the wings...and maybe Marist.

If anything...maybe they use this as leverage to increase the rides in NEC football to counter status.

The other potential landing place would be PL football....however they likely do that ONLY if they got an all-sport offer.

Not buying this unless something else is brewing.