UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I want to be affiliated with East coast schools, not Midwest schools. CAA BB was in the gutter this year. So much so that the NCAA rewarded them with a PIG against LIU Brooklyn and a quick exit against IU.

I like UA_MA's idea of the AE getting aggressive and stealing Delaware and RI, and maybe some others. I know most of us aren't thrilled with UMASS-Lowell, but they're still a decent sized state-school and they have nice facilities.

**OK, posted the above before I saw danefan's comments. I guess what I am saying is...maybe the AE isnt so bad right now until a better than CAA option comes along.

Edited by madDOG

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing to keep in mind in all of this is that the major catalyst to most of these conference realignments has been TV contracts and revenues.

The American East is light years behind the CAA in terms of a TV deal right now. The CAA's TV deal with NBC is one of the best in the country for a mid-major conference.

All I know is the production of the CAA games on NBCSN is fantastic. I want whatever is best fit for UA. I would love to see a move to FBS one day so if MAC is the only option then I'm all for that even though the schools are predominately mid west schools.

The CAA TV deal has 4 more years on it as well.

The landscape will look entirely different in 4 years. Barring a miracle invite to the A10, a move to the CAA is the only chance we have to get increased exposure for our basketball team.

Would anyone argue against that benefit? Would you say its worth less than playing Vermont, Binghamton, and UMass Lowell?

I am really torn on this, however Danefan has it right.

My thoughts:

1. I am not going to be happy with a MAC arrangement; it is a midwest league and we won't have any rivalries...away games etc. They are also subtier academic schools...however this is going to be about athletics so I am not too concerned with the academic quotient THAT much (thought it would be nice to be with sister schools).

2. I want what Danefan wants; the East Coast/Mid-Atlantic all-sport schools to have some commonsense and BALLS...and create a new league. You will get two-three football bids even before the autobid is given...and you may just be able to work out a contractual arrangement with the CAA Football (seperate entity) to takeover that league...expand it to all-sports. Who knows...but this should be STEP 1 !!!!

3. I don't like what the CAA has become...or will go...but our answer is not NU, Drexel or Hofstra; they do not care about football any longer. Love the affiliation conceptually...but divergent differences. So, to join that league as is...not sure good call. However, the TV contract is the issue...and we need exposure.

I LOVE THAT OUR PRESDENT WANTS A 20k seat stadium. So...i think he will push us to the next level; that may mean parking in the CAA for a few years.

TV deal sounds good, but what has it done for Hofstra and NU (or really any CAA members)? Again, a PIG game and a 16 seed blowout.

IMO, the best TV and PR exposure comes from a NCAA tourney bid and a respectable seed. Which conference gives us the best chance at that every year?

We have what we want in FCS Football.

Not really arguing against the CAA here but it seems like a wash. I just wish there were better options for us (not the MAC, ugh).

BAD COMPARISON!!!

NU and HU bet the farm on getting more money into hoops by cutting football. Didn't happen.

This is a TV deal only; if we want to move up another level...we must go stepping stone.

Here's news;

APP STATE and Georgia Southern are accepting invites to the Sunbelt (so we think) this week. Rumor has it that UNC-W wants out of the CAA to go to the Southern...which would cause JMU to be really up shytes creek. UD is going nowhere. So...the best thing that could occur is a sit down with all that is left, which is likely Delaware.

Did the CAA end up adding any other schools beside UA and SBU? Can't remember.

And GM, Georgia State, and Old Dominion are all gone after this year, correct?

No one else added. Monmouth wanted in, but the CAA said no thanks.

GMU --> A10

Georgia State --> Sun Belt

Old Dominion --> Conference USA

It really comes down to this for Albany:

Maine

UNH

Vermont

UMass-Lowell

Binghamton

or

Northeastern

Hofstra

Drexel

Delaware

Towson

I'm beginning to think that Albany and Stony Brook will indeed jump to another 1 bid conference and you gotta think that FINALLY a former AE team can win the CAA considering that they would hold a 7 out of 11 or 12 majority.

How about a new league

Albany

SBU

James Madison

UNH

Maine

William and Mary

Delaware

Elon

Furman

Wofford

How about forming this setup, kicking out the rest, and keeping the CAA name :blink:

Maybe letting Northeastern stay, boot Hofstra, and let Wilmington go with little concern.

But really, there will be 11 football members next year.

If the CAA added UA and SBU, that would make 6/10 all sports members playing football as well.

If wilmgton leaves, that's 6/9. From that point forward, only add all sport/football included schools.

My vote is taking the step up to the CAA. All around better exposure. We'd also develop deeper rivalries

with more schools playing them in both football and basketball.

Edited by uofalbany

My biggest issue with the AE is lack of vision/initiative. Say what you will about the CAA but they do 1000% better job selling their programs and increasing exposure then does the AE. No one knows of the AE, they don't do anything in the media other then Amy on twitter....it's basically a conference for DII call-ups, was that way when SBU, Bing and UA moved up and now the same with Lowell. If the AE were a tree in a D1 forest and it fell and no-one was there to hear it did it make a sound?

How good right about now does it look that we have a new awesome stadium going up, men just won the AE and repped us in the NCAA, ladies back to back etc.