UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe CCSU isn't begging the AE for a spot at this point. Side note...would really like to see the AE go after LIU-Brooklyn.

Why? They are not a solid academic school...it is highly urban...they don't have a broad sports program and they play in a tiny gym (though new).

Monmouth and Quinipiac to the MAAC is official.

Monmouth will be applying to the NEC as a football affiliate member according to their local beat writer.

I have to think they've all but locked that down before they accepted the MAAC invite. No DI school in their right mind leaves a conference without securing a spot for its basketball and football programs.

America East looking at Bryant

http://blog.ctnews.c...king-at-bryant/

Bryant University is among the schools that America East is looking at adding, according to multiple sources that spoke to Hearst News Group.

With Boston University heading to the Patriot League after the 2012-13 school year, the AE will be down to eight members. According to a source, the conference could add up to four new members with the Bryant among the top choices.

Bryant, which began the transition to NCAA Division I status in the summer of 2007, became a full-time member of the Northeast Conference this year.

The NEC has already lost two schools to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, with Quinnipiac and Monmouth announcing last week they were switching conferences. The MAAC added two schools after losing Loyola to the Patriot League and could still add another school at some point.

Edited by danefan

no offense to CCSU, Bryant, and LIU....but why would the AE look to add these teams ?

Stability.

AEast is at 8 schools right now. With us, SBU, UNH and Maine in the CAA for football and BU leaving, the AEast have to be worried about losing either us or SBU or anyone else for that matter. An 8-team conference is not really sustainable these days unless your conference starts with I and ends with VY.

Guys......this isn't over by a long shot. There is a reason why the "3 other schools" weren't mentioned. Think about it. I feel that AE is waiting (and this might be a good thing.....for once) for the chips to fall in the A-10 which in turn will effect the CAA (and of course AE). I know that some think that I am crazy for suggesting this, but I feel that 2 or 3 former AE members may be heading back here depending what happens to certain members of the CAA. If George Mason (A-10) and JMU (FBS) leave........Delaware is out of there IMO. I also think that Northeastern IS coming back.......no matter what happens. Hofstra.......forget it. Fiore will NEVER let them back in. Drexel?........I don't think that they want back in, but if NU leaves.......who knows? Towson would truly be on an island with nowhere to go........they would be the 3rd ex-AE member returning IMO.

Maine

UNH

Vermont

NU

Bryant

Hartford

Albany

Stony Brook

Binghamton

Delaware

Towson

UMBC

Yes Regis.........that IS my final answer.

Guys......this isn't over by a long shot. There is a reason why the "3 other schools" weren't mentioned. Think about it. I feel that AE is waiting (and this might be a good thing.....for once) for the chips to fall in the A-10 which in turn will effect the CAA (and of course AE). I know that some think that I am crazy for suggesting this, but I feel that 2 or 3 former AE members may be heading back here depending what happens to certain members of the CAA. If George Mason (A-10) and JMU (FBS) leave........Delaware is out of there IMO. I also think that Northeastern IS coming back.......no matter what happens. Hofstra.......forget it. Fiore will NEVER let them back in. Drexel?........I don't think that they want back in, but if NU leaves.......who knows? Towson would truly be on an island with nowhere to go........they would be the 3rd ex-AE member returning IMO.

Maine

UNH

Vermont

NU

Bryant

Hartford

Albany

Stony Brook

Binghamton

Delaware

Towson

UMBC

OK Jeff, I will give you some props for this. How about AE football? The above list gives seven football playing members. Add one or two football affiliates??

Edited by dslyank

Maine

UNH

Vermont

NU

Bryant

Hartford

Albany

Stony Brook

Binghamton

Delaware

Towson

UMBC

OK Jeff, I will give you some props for this. How about AE football? The above list gives seven football playing members. Add one or two football affiliates??

That would depend on what W&M/Richmond/Nova does........if any 1 or 2 go to the Patriot (W&M for all sports or football affiliation for the other 2).........then yes, we could see AE establishing football.

So I guess we have a date with you guys in Harrisonburg on October 5th. Should be fun. Nova has talked recently about demphasizing football when the Catholic 7 departed the BE. Another statement by their president then came out stating that they were happy where they are in football. If the CAA stays together with the exception of one or two football schools, the CAA would probably be okay. Then again, it could give what mainejeff is talking about reality.

Interesting story in today's NYT about FCS football programs reaching for the big-time in FBS . . . and about how for most, the economics just don't work. Several FBS schools are mentioned -- the article focus on UMass a lot -- but neither UA or Stony Brook are mentioned, although other CAA schools are (granted, more established ones). I'm sure all those anti-athletics types -- especially a lot of the faculty members -- will forward the article on the the new UA president, Lee McE., and others. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/sports/ncaafootball/universities-chase-big-time-glory-in-fbs.html?hp