UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

A few years ago I met George Phillip at an event. He told me that it was a 'matter of course' that the nanocollege would eventually split from UAlbany. The recent name change to Albany Nano, and, I think more tellingly, the use of SUNY College of Nanoscience and Engineering in their official press releases indicate that this move is underway. Does anyone have any insight ?

I would imagine that even if 'split', the school would by necessity maintain close ties with the University. It seems silly to me, and possibly an ego-driven move (not mentioning names, but he drives a Ferrari).

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kayoleros (sp?) has been a very vocal and strong supporter of UAlbany, but let's face it, the SUNY system needs to change.

IMO, there is going to come a day when everything gets entirely centralized with various satellite campuses. There is just too much administrative bloat in the system with so many separately run schools..

Edited by danefan

That's a good point about the land. But it's funny -- look at their recent press releases calling it the "SUNY College of Nano, etc." without any reference to UAlbany. Maybe singling out Kayoleros is unfair; after all, he's done more for the school than any other single person since, likely, the 19th century. So I withdraw any implied criticism.

Yes, SUNY has to change. No doubt about it.

A few years ago I met George Phillip at an event. He told me that it was a 'matter of course' that the nanocollege would eventually split from UAlbany. The recent name change to Albany Nano, and, I think more tellingly, the use of SUNY College of Nanoscience and Engineering in their official press releases indicate that this move is underway. Does anyone have any insight ?

I would imagine that even if 'split', the school would by necessity maintain close ties with the University. It seems silly to me, and possibly an ego-driven move (not mentioning names, but he drives a Ferrari).

I don't see it honestly...they have spun up bachelors and doctoral programs I believe...the sign on the building as well as all mention on websites etc. mention 'at University at Albany'...what would be gained by splitting? But they take advantage of SUNY system administration as well as accreditation etc that UA offers.

From the About page at CNSE..."The College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE) of the University at Albany - State University of New York (SUNY) is a global education, research, development and technology deployment resource dedicated to preparing the next generation of scientists and researchers in nanotechnology."

I don't see it honestly...they have spun up bachelors and doctoral programs I believe...the sign on the building as well as all mention on websites etc. mention 'at University at Albany'...what would be gained by splitting? But they take advantage of SUNY system administration as well as accreditation etc that UA offers.

Couldn't it just become the 5th University center theoretically? Narrow focus of course, but why does it need UA?

Edited by danefan

A story on Feb. 15 re moving Tech Valley High School from UAlbany's East Campus to CNSE ended with:

"Besides the announcement's timing, it didn't go unnoticed that the news release alluded to the "SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering," although local officials usually add "University at Albany" to the college's name.

While SUNY and UAlbany may be interchangeable in some venues, the difference speaks to the inherent tensions that exist within the sprawling SUNY system, where individual campuses — from Binghamton and Buffalo to Albany and Stony Brook — compete for dollars and recognition."

Edited by UAalum72

Couldn't it just become the 5th University center theoretically? Narrow focus of course, but why does it need UA?

What would be gained by further duplicating administrative and logistical service? Why wouldn't ub medical split from ub or sbu medical from sbu? What's the driver for even considering this?

A story on Feb. 15 re moving Tech Valley High School from UAlbany's East Campus to CNSE ended with:

"Besides the announcement's timing, it didn't go unnoticed that the news release alluded to the "SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering," although local officials usually add "University at Albany" to the college's name.

While SUNY and UAlbany may be interchangeable in some venues, the difference speaks to the inherent tensions that exist within the sprawling SUNY system, where individual campuses — from Binghamton and Buffalo to Albany and Stony Brook — compete for dollars and recognition."

I'm trying to wrap my mind around that last paragraph... Can someone rephrase it? I'm not sure I understand...

Last I knew, the East Campus property was owned by the University at Albany Foundation and the CNSE property was owned by a consortium of University related entities under the name Fuller Road Management. I'd imagine some changes were made within the past years, resulting from the "trade" of land needed to relocate the Washington Avenue Extension.

I don't think there are any real concerns here. The fact is UAlbany and CNSE are tied together through their undergraduate and graduate degrees. Kayoleros sits on the UAlbany Foundation board. The land may or may not be part of UAlbany. There are a vast array of ties between the college and UAlbany proper. UAlbany and CNSE are part of the same organization even though the much more successful CNSE may sometimes forget that fact.

The other point I've made in the past is that the sum is worth more than the parts. Look at a university like Michigan or Wisconsin. It is so strong collectively because its parts are tied together in a uniform organization. I don't think the Michigan Law School, Michigan Medical School etc would be so prestigious without the connection to the other prestigious schools under the university umbrella. The athletics program also shines constant attention on the university. All the parts complement each other.

This has been my complaint with the Capital District for decades. The Capital District has a SUNY Center (aka flagship) state university but it's not tied to the local law school, medical school, pharmacy school, etc etc. The Nano College is great but it's not enough. What is the net result? All of those independent schools suffer in the rankings. We have all the parts in the Captial District to make a mighty state university on par with any other... but the parts alone hold little value. What good is an "independent" law school that is ranked in the lower middle of the pack?

Long story short, I think the CNSE sees the value of being part of a larger SUNY Center (aka "flagship"). I just wish the other institutions would get over themselves and see that a team is better than a bunch of "independent" actors.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

I do wish this university would hire a marketing firm to fix our mess of a name. No wonder as I travel the country people say they have never heard of my alma mater despite the fact that I see articles in the USA Today, CNN etc covering UAlbany. The media never uses the same name twice.

Is it UAlbany, University at Albany, SUNY Albany, State University at Albany, SUNY, State University of New York, CNSE, Albany Nano, SUNY CNSE or Albany State? I realize the last one isn't even our school but I have seen it mistakenly applied to UAlbany. I've seen them all used to refer to UAlbany.

Fixing our broken name would resolve a lot of this mess.